Akudorik

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

If you think GBP17,500 is reasonable for an Akurate system, you owe it to yourselves to hear what your analogue sources & speakers can do with Sagatun & Tundra Monos!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Sagatun monos, upgraded tundra mono, passive doriks.... Could be very interesting!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Now passive akudorik are available it'll be interesting to hear them with Fredrik's gear.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Now passive akudorik are available it'll be interesting to hear them with Fredrik's gear.
Yes reckon it will be pretty stunning!
moog_man

Re:

Post by moog_man »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Now passive akudorik are available it'll be interesting to hear them with Fredrik's gear.
Would anyone like to update this with their own responses/ experience, please
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Re:

Post by anthony »

moog_man wrote:
Would anyone like to update this with their own responses/ experience, please

Very enjoyable, and musical, both excellent products.

A new level of performance from both items, that work well together.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Re:

Post by hcl »

tokenbrit wrote:If you think GBP17,500 is reasonable for an Akurate system, you owe it to yourselves to hear what your analogue sources & speakers can do with Sagatun & Tundra Monos!
And how much does that cost?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

hcl wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:If you think GBP17,500 is reasonable for an Akurate system, you owe it to yourselves to hear what your analogue sources & speakers can do with Sagatun & Tundra Monos!
Are you deliberately missing the point? You can look up & add up the cost of Monos as easily as I can, to confirm how much that costs, and work out how much that leaves for source & speakers, if buying new, but that's not really the point. The point is that £17.5k is a lot of money and that's for an Akurate system. The Monos are easily Klimax level, or higher - there are plenty of alternative systems for that kind of money, some of which may sound better... some of which may sound better, and cost less especially if you can use your current sources & speakers.
Nature

Post by Nature »

hcl wrote:
tokenbrit wrote:Sagatun & Tundra Monos
32000 SEK & 2x29750 SEK
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Akudorik

Post by ThomasOK »

Not sure about UK pricing but in the US the pricing is as follows:

Akudorik Exakt System $28,100 (with Exakt ADSM, stands and amps)
Akudorik Exakt $21,660 (with stands and amps)

Akudorik Passive $8450 (including stands)
Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 power amps $9900 a pair

Lejonklou Sagatun Mono 1.1 $9900 a pair
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Thomas, roughly how many Exakt systems have you sold (Klimax and Akurate-level) and how many Sagatun's and Tundra's?
It's all about musical understanding!
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

tokenbrit wrote:
hcl wrote:
Are you deliberately missing the point? You can look up & add up the cost of Monos as easily as I can, to confirm how much that costs, and work out how much that leaves for source & speakers, if buying new, but that's not really the point. The point is that £17.5k is a lot of money and that's for an Akurate system. The Monos are easily Klimax level, or higher - there are plenty of alternative systems for that kind of money, some of which may sound better... some of which may sound better, and cost less especially if you can use your current sources & speakers.
Yes. And my point is that although you get an Akurate system there will require a KDS based system to reach a comparable level of performance, which makes it a rather good value despite the cost.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

hcl wrote:Yes. And my point is that although you get an Akurate system there will require a KDS based system to reach a comparable level of performance, which makes it a rather good value despite the cost.
Source first:
A better source outperforms a worse one, irrespective of the playback. In the Linn DS range, a Klimax source will beat any system with an Akurate source.

If using the same source, I find that the simplest systems usually win. The simpler the system is, the better chance you have of perfecting it.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

lejonklou wrote:
hcl wrote:Yes. And my point is that although you get an Akurate system there will require a KDS based system to reach a comparable level of performance, which makes it a rather good value despite the cost.
Source first:
A better source outperforms a worse one, irrespective of the playback. In the Linn DS range, a Klimax source will beat any system with an Akurate source.

If using the same source, I find that the simplest systems usually win. The simpler the system is, the better chance you have of perfecting it.
Precisely!

It was pretty obvious that the Akurate Exakt DSM was almost on Klimax level as the Akubarik or Akudoriks was on paar with a KDS/1 based system. Not every tune-dem devotee acknowledged that, which I think is a bit strange in the tume-dem originated community.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

hcl wrote:Precisely!

It was pretty obvious that the Akurate Exakt DSM was almost on Klimax level as the Akubarik or Akudoriks was on paar with a KDS/1 based system. Not every tune-dem devotee acknowledged that, which I think is a bit strange in the tume-dem originated community.
When was this contradictory result obvious? It seems you are preaching Source Last, so it's difficult to understand what you meant by 'Precisely!'
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Akudorik vs. 109 vs. Isobariks

Post by Ron The Mon »

acl,
Have you compared passive Akudoriks to passive 109s to passive Isobariks?

Passive Akudoriks cost roughly eight times more than either mentioned above. 109s with stands run actively from Tundras cost the same as just Akudoriks. In my opinion, Akudoriks are a rip-off.

I believe I've heard the best Linn do today. I've listened extensively to 350s run exaktly as intended. It was a hi-fi that is Linn's best of the best. I demanded from Tom O'Keefe to make them sound better as I wouldn't pay one-hundred dollars for such a system, let alone $80,000. Yes, you read right, eighty-thousand smackers! Tom fiddled and after testing my listening with many tune-demo A/Bs, I settled on a setting Tom said should make no sense.

We then proceeded to listen to the entire Larks Tongue In Aspic album uninterrupted. After the first song I asked Tom how loud the system could play. He said he had no idea. Since they were Linn's travelling demo pair, I set them at full-tilt-boogie. We sat there absorbing the music for another half hour. The moment the record ended, Keith (Overture Audio's owner) came in and said, "What the Hell are you two doing in here!!".

Exakt can play very, VERY loud undistorted. My ears were not ringing after the above demo. However, I believe that is its only advantage.

Several weeks later, playing the same music on DS and LP12SE as 350 Exakt, I auditioned Sagatun (stereo), Tundra Mono, and 1983 Linn Isobariks in the same room off the same power strip, etc. There was no comparison. Not even close. My wife asked me how the demo went when I got home. I told her I'm going to buy the new Lexus RC350 I want and pay cash for it. I also told her I'm going to take her to a five-star restaurant every week for the next year.

That is how much money a Linn Exakt is!!!!! $60,000 more than Lejonklou's best. I told my wife I am saving money buying the best car and dining that exist. Exakt is a rip-off.

Ron The Mon
Needle-Freak

P.S.
It wasn't until I typed it that I realized the best from Lexus and Linn are named 350.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sorry hcl, my English isn't so good - "Black Country" is my native language!

Are you saying that the cheapest Exakt system (The £17,500 Akurate EDS + Exakt Akudorik) is better than any other non-Exakt system (at any price), even if it includes a KDS as a source?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

hcl wrote:
lejonklou wrote:
Source first:

Precisely!

You say "it was pretty obvious that the Akurate Exakt DSM was almost Klimax level". Yet you don't say to who and go on to say that "Not every tune-dem devotee acknowledged that".

First off, it was pretty obvious to me, and to all except one person who listened to the comparisons, that the Akurate Ekakt DSM system was NOT as musical using tune-dem (or other methods for some listening) as an Akurate analog system using the same amps, sources, preamp, cables and speakers. And so far this is the only time I have read where such a direct comparison of two systems where the Exakt signal path was the only difference has been made, or at least discussed on this forum. As such, your claim that an Akurate Ekakt DSM system competes directly with a[n analog] system using a Klimax DS/1 runs counter to what many have found.

That you seem to indicate that this shows there is something wrong with the tune method, because a number of others do not agree with your conclusion, seems a strange way of seeing things. Not every tune-dem devotee acknowledged that the Exakt was better because a fair number of us have found it inferior. Because you assume you are right does not somehow indicate that we are all wrong, or even that there is something wrong with the tune method. It could indicate that the tune method is not being used correctly by some.
The LP12 Whisperer
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote:
Source first:

With Exakt, The Majik of the range ( ie akudorik Exakt) appears to outperform the Akurate and Klimax models and therefore the source first hierarchy may be reversed in Exakt.

This would certainly bring down the cost of the best Exakt system ( ie Akudorik with akurate Exakt box) and make comparisions with good analogue systems more favourable.

I suspect this is what Hcl is alluding to in the above posts.

I agree with others that, as impressive as Akudorik exakt is currently ( especially with a klimax Exakt box) is, a KDS analogue system with good preamp and power amp is easily more musical and engaging.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

I did not mean any other comparison than the one at Tonalget where I have listened to an Akurate Exakt Akudorik system and the at the time somewhat comparable KDS/1+Akurate+242 system and the Akudorik:s was pretty damn close as far as I and some others concluded.

No reference was made to the Klimax Exakt systems other other.

Yes, I have the notion that source last is more important than source first and I have not read anything that would anything but strengthen that notion.
Last edited by hcl on 2015-05-18 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Whilst most would agree that Exakt installations vary from excellent to quite poor, I am sure analogue installations also vary in degree, especially when using a digital source, and when it is an active system.

I am never sure regarding the NAS drive/ network switch at many retailers and also the room acoustics/ speaker combination.

I remember in particular an analogue Klimax DS system using klimax electronics and admittedly new Akubarik passives at a major Linn retailer, which was remarkably un impressive.

Conversely I have heard ADSM (and RP3) with a single 2200 and 242 sound really quite good at a local Linn dealer.

This was so surprising, I ended up buying the demo 242s!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

u252agz wrote:Whilst most would agree that Exakt installations vary from excellent to quite poor, I am sure analogue installations also vary in degree, especially when using a digital source, and when it is an active system.

I am never sure regarding the NAS drive/ network switch at many retailers and also the room acoustics/ speaker combination.
Very true!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Just a note to mention that the Akudorik is now officially discontinued by Linn. Linn had stopped taking orders for them a few months ago with no word as to when they would again become available. Now they have been discontinued altogether. Of course the passive version, which many preferred, has been unavailable for some time. But now all versions are gone. It also poses the question of the likelihood the Organik DAC will ever make it's way to that model for those who have the Exakt units.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Sad to see such a good speaker as the Akudorik being discontinued altogether. Glad that I got my passive Akubariks in time, you very rarely see any (nor the passive Akudoriks) for sale anymore.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I agrre, Tendaberry. But there might be two alternative hidden messages behind this: Either Linn are in the process of getting out of their own speaker business (hard to believe, after Series 3 having been introduced not that long ago), or they have something in the works, and feel a grace period is helpful to not upset late customers of the old, when the next big thing is announced. We'll know for sure, when the 50th anniversary has arrived.
PC or LP12-Krsel-KRad/1-Keel-Ekos SE/1-Akiva-Urika II | KRDSM | KEB/2 | C6100/D | AV5140/038