We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Akudorik

Post by Charlie1 »

http://projekt-akustik.de/Lautsprecher/ ... :3518.html

Presume a passive non-Exakt version will follow at some point. Anyone know?
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

A passive version is potentially quite easy - use the same stand but with no internal acive electronics just the passive crossover with the same umbilical to the speaker - just like the late model Isobariks of old. They will have most of the work done as they are still using a MKII array.

CJ
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They have now removed the photos and price. It was 13,500 Euros as I recall.

CJ wisely copied the photos, here:-
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid333089

-----

edit: corrected price
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2014-09-15 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

Seems that Linn have now deleted the thread too - bit late in my view

Still I have the pics:

http://1drv.ms/X0KRR6
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I didn't expect that. Not seen them do that before. It does seem a bit late. It's still cached with Google too, so the web page is still visible.

Things have leaked out on the forum before, but I guess they were not accompanied by photos and a price tag - not that I recall anyway.

Well, it's a fine looking speaker and I look forward to hearing it.
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

Yes, it does look good (my wife likes the look too) and the price actually seems OK too. Could really do with an Akurate Exakt box now. The price was 13,500 Euro (still cached on Google) which would make it less than £10,000 - most likely £8999.

CJ
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Anyone that can fill me in on the details?
Seems to be a 212 with slightly modified cabinet and an awful stand...

Someone told me that the (active) amps are in the stand, anyone with more info?
And is it an Exakt speaker or not?
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, it's Exakt. I think the stand is OK, considering it's size, but would like to see a non-Exakt version on a normal stand.

I hope it's not just a 212 in a new cabinet. I really like the Akubarik's seemless driver integration between mid and top-end, so hope that's been the basis here.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, as Charlie1 says it is Exakt. Amps, crossovers, DACs all in the stand with some umbilical cord to the speaker itself. Appears to be mostly a 212 but has new curved cabinet like Akubarik. I would expect it to use the new crossover topology developed for the Akubarik to give better blending of the midrange dome and mid/bass cone. It could also be a new mid/bass driver but don't know for sure.

I understand that there is some decoupling of the speaker from the stand. This concerns me a bit. I understand decoupling the amplifier/crossover from the back of the speaker as in the 350s and Akubarik but decoupling the speaker from the stand that is supposed to hold it rigidly to the floor is a different story.

I would suspect that a passive version will follow in a few months. It will be interesting to see if they put the crossover in the stand so that it could be upgraded to Exakt later or if they will go the way of the Akubarik with no ability to later add the amp/crossover pack.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:I would suspect that a passive version will follow in a few months. It will be interesting to see if they put the crossover in the stand so that it could be upgraded to Exakt later
Surely they will!
Or...I hope as then no modification is required in the speaker. Logical.
It's all about musical understanding!
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

ThomasOK wrote:I would suspect that a passive version will follow in a few months. It will be interesting to see if they put the crossover in the stand so that it could be upgraded to Exakt later or if they will go the way of the Akubarik with no ability to later add the amp/crossover pack.

Very pertinent point, this.
I realise it's not as simple as attaching the amp/digital crossover unit to the back of a standard Akubarik (ie. passive), as many of us hoped/ assumed - I wasn't the only one to enquire about that during Linn's 40th open day last Sept. It would certainly streamline the upgrade path.
Perhaps Linn has rectified this with the new Akudorik
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Would it be inappropriate or an inconvenient truth to point out that the source will not be in the speaker - it'll be in the AkuDork stands... Doesn't have the same marketing catch somehow :/

Maybe this does make the upgrade path a little easier - you can upgrade your AkuDork to KlimaDork stands if/when they make a 320 replacement, assuming they agree to sell the KlimaDork stands separately, or you could put a '320E' on your AkuDork stands... At least someone might want to buy your AkuDork Exakt stands if they're upgrading from passive Dorks but no-one can buy your Aku speakers without Dorks to stand them on. All this presupposes that Linn will sell stands separate from speakers. Otherwise they may want to back you into buying Exakt tunebox and amps for the privilege of easier upgrades..

Wonder if we will see MajiDorks...
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2014-09-17 03:39, edited 2 times in total.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

tokenbrit wrote:Would it be inappropriate or an inconvenient truth to point out that the source will not be in the speaker - it'll be in the AkuDork stands... Doesn't have the same marketing catch somehow :/
AkuDork - heh heh...
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Music Lover wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:I would suspect that a passive version will follow in a few months. It will be interesting to see if they put the crossover in the stand so that it could be upgraded to Exakt later
Surely they will!
The conversion of akubarik from passive to aktiv takes all of 10 mins Max, so would not consider this a problem if internal crossovers.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:
Music Lover wrote:
Surely they will!
The conversion of akubarik from passive to aktiv takes all of 10 mins Max, so would not consider this a problem if internal crossovers.
But can you upgrade passive Akubariks to Aktiv with the amp crossover/modules attached to the back?
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

Seems at least one pair of Akudoriks are real and have already been shown at a HiFi show in Japan:

http://sc1212.blog21.fc2.com/blog-entry-1026.html

Scroll down to the bottom

Looks like they are very much a rework of the 212 as you might note that the tweeter bisects the perimeter of the woofer unlike the 320a where the 3K array is fitted much higher with the woofer perimeter bisecting the super tweeter.

Intriguingly the Japanese pic does not seem to show the second gradient on the front edge of the speaker like was seen in the drawings from the German dealer's site. I hope that the release versions are like the drawings in the style of the 320a cabinets as I think they look better. Actually the more I look at the German dealer pics the more that I think the second gradient does not exist and it is just the angle of the light source for the render - pity.

More light from another site:
http://www.pc-audio-fan.com/news/event/ ... /dsc_0569/

CJ
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

CJ1045 wrote:Seems at least one pair of Akudoriks are real and have already been shown at a HiFi show in Japan:

http://sc1212.blog21.fc2.com/blog-entry-1026.html

Scroll down to the bottom

Looks like they are very much a rework of the 212 as you might note that the tweeter bisects the perimeter of the woofer unlike the 320a where the 3K array is fitted much higher with the woofer perimeter bisecting the super tweeter.

Intriguingly the Japanese pic does not seem to show the second gradient on the front edge of the speaker like was seen in the drawings from the German dealer's site. I hope that the release versions are like the drawings in the style of the 320a cabinets as I think they look better. Actually the more I look at the German dealer pics the more that I think the second gradient does not exist and it is just the angle of the light source for the render - pity.y

More light from another site:
http://www.pc-audio-fan.com/news/event/ ... /dsc_0569/

CJ
I heard them at Linn last week and was very impressed by them, bass quantity was significantly better than 212, but they were exakted.
They were demmed against a nap300 and b w speakers, which was interesting!
Rob Dodds

Post by Rob Dodds »

Sadly the aktual price is £17500, or £9500 just for the stands to partner another pair of Linn bookshelves. I'm trying to remember exactly when it was that Linn lost touch with the regular HiFi buying public for whom an upgrade does not cost the same as a new car.. Suggestions anyone?
lunch

Post by lunch »

Yeah, they're expensive. Then again, going aktiv always was. They'll be available as passives, too, most likely.
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Rob Dodds wrote:. ... I'm trying to remember exactly when it was that Linn lost touch with the regular HiFi buying public for whom an upgrade does not cost the same as a new car.. Suggestions anyone?
With the CD12 I think. Aktiv has always been expensive but there were ways to go aktiv with older amps, or at lower levels at lower prices - it is / was not all or nothing as it is with Exakt speakers. And remember Akudoriks raise the Akurate bar but they are still branded as Akurate, not Klimax. GBP17,500 for Akurate is a big ask, and a big ouch.
lunch

Post by lunch »

Don't know if 17500 included the exakt DSM or not, but going through my dealer's price list for an ADSM, 2 X 4200 and a pair of 212s sets me back more than that. Just as an example that going aktiv was expensive already. Even just Akurate aktiv.
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

In the context of the performance level they present and the packaging I would say they are cheap. I heard them the other day and they are very good.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

lunch wrote:Don't know if 17500 included the exakt DSM or not, but going through my dealer's price list for an ADSM, 2 X 4200 and a pair of 212s sets me back more than that. Just as an example that going aktiv was expensive already. Even just Akurate aktiv.
17500 includes an AEDSM the stands and Akudorik are 13500
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

anthony wrote:17500 includes an AEDSM the stands and Akudorik are 13500
Once you get over the initial price, this works out pretty good, in fact.
Given that the Dorik stands are £9.5K - and current list price for a 'standard' Akurate 212 is a little shy of £5K, you're already getting a saving on an Exakt speaker.
Kudos to Linn for factoring in that many existing 212 owners may also like the option of upgrading their speakers to this format, as and when.

For those that didn't catch the recent online Q&A hosted by Linn, here's the umbilikal that connects the stand to your 212 in Activ

And here's the dedicated connector for an Akudorik speaker
LINN Adrian: This was designed to provide a discreet connection between the speaker and the stand, whose electronics module is mechanically decoupled from the column using a system of isolation which has filtered down from the 350s via the Akubariks.

They also mentioned - for those concerned about the 100w amplification - that:
LINN Dan E: The power amplifiers in Exakt Akubarik are 100W amplifiers with a performance level that is slightly better than the Akurate range of amplifiers.
Rob Dodds

Post by Rob Dodds »

tokenbrit wrote:
Rob Dodds wrote:. ... I'm trying to remember exactly when it was that Linn lost touch with the regular HiFi buying public for whom an upgrade does not cost the same as a new car.. Suggestions anyone?
With the CD12 I think. Aktiv has always been expensive but there were ways to go aktiv with older amps, or at lower levels at lower prices - it is / was not all or nothing as it is with Exakt speakers. And remember Akudoriks raise the Akurate bar but they are still branded as Akurate, not Klimax. GBP17,500 for Akurate is a big ask, and a big ouch.
I was thinking it was the Keel but you're probably right. I recall going aktiv with Kabers and Lk100 was not too extortionate at the time. All changed now. I remember going to opening party for Linn's visitor centre and noticing that enthusiasts were in the minority, and boorish yacht owners in the majority. Still I can always dream of second hand stuff.