Linn Amps

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ledcam

Linn Amps

Post by ledcam »

We are in a position to make some major changes to our set up. Artikulat 350's are in my sight! I prefer to go with the passive version rather than the aktiv version and will add the necessary aktiv channels externally.

When looking at amplification I am conscious that The Klimax Twin has been around since 2004 with the Solo having been around even longer since 1999. Do any of the members here know of/have heard rumours of replacements to the Klimax line up?

I remember way back when buying my Ittok and finding that the Ekos came out a few months later :roll:

I know that Linn always state that they will continuously strive to improve their products but with an eye to the considerable outlay we're talking about here it would be nice to know that there is not something considerably better round the corner - I suppose I'm thinking here specifically about those who bought the original Twin only to have it replaced by the Chakra version and to rub salt into the wounds at a reduced price :wink:

Any thoughts/guesses?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't heard of anything in the works at Linn along these lines. As the Klimax amps are still easily the finest I've heard I don't know that there is any great need for an update - not that one wouldn't be welcomed if Linn could make them even better.

Also remember that those who bought Klimax Twins can have their amps upgraded to Chakra Twins. Although the combined price drop/performance gain would have been a disappointment to those who had purchased close to the changeover, I believe Linn offered a discounted upgrade for those sold in the preceding few months.
markus

Re: Linn Amps

Post by markus »

ledcam wrote:We are in a position to make some major changes to our set up. Artikulat 350's are in my sight! I prefer to go with the passive version rather than the aktiv version and will add the necessary aktiv channels externally.
besides being more flexible in choosing amps, from a price point it seems to be expsensiver to do external activation then to buy a 350A. the 350a is a much cleaner setup, less cable, less "boxes".

go with the 350A a real stunning speaker - i have one.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

ThomasOK wrote: Also remember that those who bought Klimax Twins can have their amps upgraded to Chakra Twins. Although the combined price drop/performance gain would have been a disappointment to those who had purchased close to the changeover, I believe Linn offered a discounted upgrade for those sold in the preceding few months.
AFAIK the upgrade was in fact free of charge when bought in the last 6 months. If bought within the last year, there was a reduced upgrade price. You only had to pay the full amount if the Twin was older than one year. And AFAIK this was combined with the offer that you get a refund if you spend more than xxx bucks (don't know the amount) on new Linn stuff in the upcoming 6 months, or something like that, am not sure about this anymore.
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

Thanks for your views guys. Markus, the reason we want to go with the passive model is that we are able to take advantage of whatever new amplifier models appear further down the line. The 350A while a stunning performer - I've heard it and agree it is truly wonderful - is not capable of further improvement unless Linn come up with some sort of retro-fittable upgrade. The closest to a 350A would be a passive 350 plus 2 Akurate C4200's plus 8 aktiv cards so costwise you are looking at £23500 against £22820 ( in a standard finish) - unless I've missed something?

Going down the Klimax amp route which is what I think we'll do is clearly a much larger outlay which was why I remain a bit concerned that Linn don't have some new Klimax anihilator amp ready and lurking in the shadows :mrgreen:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

ledcam wrote:Going down the Klimax amp route which is what I think we'll do is clearly a much larger outlay which was why I remain a bit concerned that Linn don't have some new Klimax anihilator amp ready and lurking in the shadows :mrgreen:
Klimax Anihilator? That sounds painful :( How about a Klimax Maximus :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I believe sommerfee is right on the terms of the upgrade policy. To be honest I was just too lazy yesterday to go look up the terms of the program. The point is Linn did come up with a way to take care of those who had recently purchased the earlier Klimax Twin.

I can certainly see why someone would want to go with the passive 350 and Klimax amps as once you had acquired enough amps you would definitely have a superior sound to the built in amps which are the rough equivalent of the Akurate 4200 (C4200). And, as mentioned, you have the ability to upgrade the amps should improved models become available. In addition, once you have enough amps to go Aktiv with Artikulat 350s you can make the step to Komris without too much difficulty, if desired.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ledcam wrote:Thanks for your views guys. Markus, the reason we want to go with the passive model is that we are able to take advantage of whatever new amplifier models appear further down the line.
Good thinking!
It's all about musical understanding!