New Linn Majik LP12

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

New Linn Majik LP12

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn is accepting orders for the new Majik LP12 which will sell for $3750US including power supply, arm and cartridge but without a dust cover. Since the dustcover is $240 and hinges are $40 you can complete it for about $4000US.

This turntable will use the standard LP12 mechanical parts so it is fully upgradeable to the highest levels of performance. It will come with a new power supply that will sell separately for $580. There is a new arm as part of the package but there are no additional details on the arm, cartridge or power supply yet. More details are supposed to follow.

I'm not so sure about the "Majik" label. I don't really see how any LP12 could be considered as performing below the "Akurate" level. :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Wow - didn't see that coming! :shock: Thanks for heads up Thomas. I agree that an LP12 of that level would not really be in the Majik performance bracket, but I suppose the 'source first' theory means it's OK to have a much better front end.

I'm really surprised by this, but thinking about it, it could make sense. There is reportedly a growing number of youngsters getting into vinyl because it's now cool and CD is seen as a throw away medium what with burning CDs ourselves etc. A Majik LP12 might be within reach once they start earning an income. Personally, I've always thought vinyl is cool - despite what my friends have thought :)

I hope it sells well. There's a huge amount of turntable competition right now. Although obviously not in the same price band as this new budget LP12, Project have just released a model that sells for little more than £100, which is just amazing value.

It will be interesting to hear how close the new power supply is to the Lingo2. It's certainly much cheaper.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

We had been told that something like this was coming but I didn't want to post anything until Linn made it official. This is a product we have wanted for years and are glad to see. Before this unit a base LP12 ran $6630US with an Akito II and Adikt. That is a pretty high entry point. Linn has come to the realization that not only do they loose sales to other tables like the Rega P9 but every customer who buys another turntable instead of a Linn is also lost future potential. With the $3750 pricing the Majik LP12 will over $1000 less than the P9. I have no doubt as to which will be the better performer.

Any LP12 purchaser has the potential to purchase more in upgrades over the life of the turntable than what was paid for the LP12 in the first place. Keel, Ekos SE, Lingo, cartridges, Linto, Cirkus (for older tables), etc. There are people who have spent four or more times what their LP12 cost to update it to the highest level. Those who buy another turntable will never be potential customers for current and future upgrades - representing a significant potential revenue loss.

My understanding is that the Majik LP12 uses the same mechanical parts as the standard LP12 which would make upgrading to a Lingo or better arm, etc. a simple task. As far as the Majik name goes, it appears that Majik is the new Basik - it certainly has more of a marketing ring to it. After all who wants to buy a Basik turntable when you can have a Majik one. :)
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

I received a flyer from Peter Tyson Linn the dealer in Carlisle who are hosting an Akurate DS night on Friday 29th Feb at which Ivor Tiefenbrun will be in attendance - there is an add on saying that the UK launch of the budget LP12 will happen that night too. Sounds interesting!
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Good news, but what to buy first - the DS player or LP player...
"there is no problem, you can buy both"
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A little more detail. The Majik LP12 does include the Adikt cartridge and comes with an arm manufactured by ProJect for Linn. The turntable itself is a true LP12 and is available with the same four hardwood plinths. The power supply is an external unit that can also be used to update older LP12s with Valhallas or with new LP12s where a different arm (Akito2, Rega, etc.) is desired. It should start shipping around the end of the month.
radar2866

Post by radar2866 »

Thomas do know if the power supply is switchable between 33 and 45.

Thanks.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A bit more information on the Majik LP12. I don't yet know if it is 33/45 switchable. The store will have one next week as we received shipping confirmation from Linn on it. One part of that I am wondering about is it states that a Majik LP12 "with 60Hz motor" has shipped. I had really hoped that they would use the 50 Hz motor so that a motor swap would not be necessary to upgrade to a Lingo. It also makes me wonder why they would need a $580 power supply if they are running the motor off the native AC frequency. And if it does indeed run of the AC frequency off the country it is used in then it is pretty much useless in the US as a Valhalla replacement for all the tables out there with 50 Hz motors. All of this is conjecture until we see it so I will update once the unit is here.

I do have a few new facts about the table. The power supply is internal - not an external unit as we had been told earlier. The solid base bottom board is included. The tonearm is the ProJect 9cc - see links below.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... ms&lang=en

http://www.project-audio.com/bild.php?9cc.jpg

Although Linn is already shipping demo and stock units the official announcement will be March 10th at which time product photography and an information sheet should be available online.
Village Idiot

Post by Village Idiot »

Peter Tyson in the UK now have it on their stock list:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/eb ... lp12.shtml#

Also Stone Audio again in the UK:

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/

£1995.

Paul
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

We just received our demo Majik LP12 yesterday but as I was out sick I didn't see it until today :( But I now have the full scoop as to the parts involved. It comes with the ProJect 9cc tonearm that appears to be the same as the one they sell separately except that it has a custom collar made for Linn that fits on the standard Linn Ekos/Akito/Ittok armboard and mounting hardware. Unfortunately, the motor in the US is 60Hz as the power supply, which is internal, appears to be merely a somewhat more sophisticated version of a basic power supply. It will run 33.3 RPM and 45RPM but it does this through the use of an included slipover pulley. Not as elegant as electronic switching but the only option with this type of power supply. Somehow I don't see the new power supply putting a serious dent in the market for the Hercules II Valhalla clone. And I really don't see any Valhalla customers "upgrading" to it unless their dealers don't have a source for Valhalla repairs - especially in the US where those with 50Hz motors would have to do a motor swap as well. The power supply uses a standard power cable with an IEC connector on the box so those who wish will be able to replace the stock cable with something line a Power One.

As for the LP12 mechanics they are the same as a stock LP12 with a couple of minor exceptions. The wiring strap has been heavily modified with mounting posts for the new circuit board and tapped holes for the metal cover. Another reason why putting this power supply in an older table would be a pain in the a**. Also, there is a new ground cable unlike anything I have seen before. It is a short mesh wire that goes from the normal place on the front post to a hole on the front of the subchassis instead of the back. Because of the flexibility it should have no effect on the bounce and since it connects up front there is no concern about routing it properly so it doesn't interfere with the subchassis. I wouldn't be surprised if Linn went to this cable for all LP12s (although I don't know if it would work with a Keel which comes with a stock ground cable). The tonearm cable (a stock Linn Akito cable) still has the ground attached to the normal place at the back of the subchassis. Linn also appears to be more serious about the grounding as there are areas at the ground points on the subchassis and the wiring strap that were masked before painting to assure a good connection - something which Linn hasn't previously done. Finally, it comes with the longer armboard screws although this may be a random thing as has been discussed in the past.

So it can accept all LP12 upgrades but it will be a bit more hassle as going to a Lingo will require modifying the wiring strap and, in the US replacing the motor.

As to performance that will have to wait until I get it setup and have a chance to compare it to similar LP12 setups. Overall it is a great idea but I'm less than completely satisfied with the execution.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2008-03-05 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for the report!

Although I applaud the idea of an "entry-level" (well, it's still very expensive) LP12, the power supply solution sounds completely wrong. A return to 60 Hz motors for the US market, like it was in the early days before Valhalla was introduced - I must say I didn't expect that. Disappointing.

And why change the grounding? Could the new solution sound better? If so, the grounding of the Keel is made the wrong way! Not very likely, I'd say.

I believe they changed the position to make the final assembly easier - on the old Cirkus and pre-Cirkus subchassis the arm and the internal ground lead are fixed at the same (quite impractical) point just below the armboard. This was done because it sounded best that way, it makes the ground path to both subchassis and the top plate short. I have heard alternative ground routings and they all sounded worse. So I feel sceptical of this change, which is likely to affect all future LP12's without Keel.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

I just listened to the new Majik LP12 at my dealer. At first I thought it was a bit of a dissapointment, mostly because I'm used to higher spec LP12's both at home and at my dealer. But after a couple of tracks I realized it wasn't bad at all. It had a slightly soft and laid back sound compared to what I'm used to from an LP12 with Adikt. (The Adikt was just an hour old so that may change with some more hours on it.) But there was definetly music! We compared the Majik LP12 with a standard LP12 with Lingokit/external Valhalla and Akito 2b/Adikt. And we both thought the new Majik LP12 was clearly better! Pretty impressive stuff! Both had solid baseboard and both were placed on the superb Mimer rack. The rest of the equipement where Lejonklou Slipsik 3.0, Klimax Kontrol and Artikulate 320A. Our thinking was that the new Majik power supply must be better (than the used Valhalla) since it probably isn't the arm! How it can be better when it's running on the outlet 50 Hz frequency I don't know? Very stupid for upgrading in the American market with the whole 50/60 Hz issue, but it seems to work just fine.

We then swapped the external Valhalla for a Lingo 2 and we were back where I'm used to hear LP12's again. The difference between the first LP12's where a lot smaller than the difference between Valhalla and Lingo 2. Bottom line is that Linn seem to have a winner here! Great for first time buyers (with £2000 to spare in their pocket) and those with older LP12's. I really like having Ivor back in charge!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnofil wrote:We then swapped the external Valhalla for a Lingo 2 and we were back where I'm used to hear LP12's again. The difference between the first LP12's where a lot smaller than the difference between Valhalla and Lingo 2.
Are you saying that the Majik LP12 was a little better than an old Cirkus-(external) Valhalla-Akito 2 but clearly worse than an old Cirkus-Lingo 2-Akito 2?

If so, it's a very clear indication that new Majik power supply is better than an external Valhalla. Which is an achievement. But do you know if the Valhalla sounds better when installed inside the LP12, as it normally is? I have never made that comparison.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

lejonklou wrote:Are you saying that the Majik LP12 was a little better than an old Cirkus-(external) Valhalla-Akito 2 but clearly worse than an old Cirkus-Lingo 2-Akito 2?
Yes, clearly better. But obviously not as big as Valhalla => Lingo 2. But maybe a fifth of that difference? (Very hard to put numbers on musical improvement.)
lejonklou wrote:If so, it's a very clear indication that new Majik power supply is better than an external Valhalla.
Yes, that was our conclusion also. So if there was nothing wrong with the external Valhalla we used (or that the Project arm is very superior to the Akito), that is true.
lejonklou wrote: Which is an achievement.
Agree! With outlet 50 Hz! (Or?)
lejonklou wrote:But do you know if the Valhalla sounds better when installed inside the LP12, as it normally is? I have never made that comparison.
Neither have I. But I don't think the difference is that big, since when comparing with Lingo results in similar difference. (When trying Lingoed LP12 vs. internal Valhalla LP12 and Lingoed LP12 with external Valhalla LP12 vs. Lingo.) But I have never tried directly, so it's not based on any knowledge, just a feeling. I think that the difference I heard is hard to get back with putting the Valhalla back into the LP12. But time will tell I guess. Someone (maybe you?) will try it and then we'll know! Maybe the price for the Majik power supply isn't that bad after all?
Provny

Post by Provny »

Linnofil wrote:Our thinking was that the new Majik power supply must be better (than the used Valhalla) since it probably isn't the arm! How it can be better when it's running on the outlet 50 Hz frequency I don't know? Very stupid for upgrading in the American market with the whole 50/60 Hz issue, but it seems to work just fine.

We then swapped the external Valhalla for a Lingo 2 and we were back where I'm used to hear LP12's again. The difference between the first LP12's where a lot smaller than the difference between Valhalla and Lingo 2. Bottom line is that Linn seem to have a winner here! Great for first time buyers (with £2000 to spare in their pocket) and those with older LP12's. I really like having Ivor back in charge!
Is there a possibility that the Pro-Ject arm is better than the Akito, or could there perhaps be another reason why the Majik LP12 fares so well versus the Valhalla'd LP12?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Provny wrote:Is there a possibility that the Pro-Ject arm is better than the Akito
Everything is possible until tested and proven with tunedem! But my guess is that the Akito is better, but the Project is impressive for the price. It must be, unless the Majik power supply is fenomenal.
Provny wrote:or could there perhaps be another reason why the Majik LP12 fares so well versus the Valhalla'd LP12?
As both me and Mr Lejonklou guessed above, we think it is the Majik motor controller/power supply that is better than an (external) Valhalla. Apart from that there is a possiblity that the new grounding is better or that there was something wrong with the Valhalla/Akito LP12 that we used for comparison in the shop. (I think that is highly unlikely since my dealer (Tonlaget, Gothenburg, Sweden) is very good with LP12's.)

Isn't there anyone else out there that has listened to the Majik LP12? No comments? I think it is pretty hot stuff from Linn to come out with a "new" LP12, so I thought there would be a lot of interest in it... I think it is great, even if it isn't a product for me.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Thomas/Fredrik
Any more feedback? How are you getting on with it? I'm also wondering how it compares with the competition.

Thanks for the feedback Linnofil. Good to hear your experiences.

Has anyone else had a chance to have a listen?

Some good photo's: http://www.soundgallery.co.uk/lp12news.html
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Overall I have to say that I am quite happy with the Majik LP12 on the sound quality front. I have not been able to do quite the comparison posted above so I can't tell you if it is better than a Valhalla or not. I just did a comparison of the Majik LP12 vs. an LP12 with Valhalla, Ittok LVII and Trampolin2. Both had the Cirkus upgrades and an Adikt with few hours on it. The Valhalla LP12 does not have the top plate post by the motor. In order to try and balance things a bit I put the Majik LP12 on a Quadraspire Wall Shelf and the Valhalla LP12 was on a much heavier large Quadraspire stand with other equipment on it. In this comparison the Valhalla LP12 was certainly more tuneful than the Majik LP12 but the Majik still sounded quite good. Music sounded more real and flowed better on the Valhalla table but you didn't feel like you were losing a lot when you went back to the Majik LP12.

We don't really have any competition in the store at that price point but I am quite positive that it is superior to a Rega P9 and that is better than anything else I've heard at the price. When I get a chance to do a more even comparison I will post again.

Operationally, I am still less than happy that the US versions have a 60Hz motor and an upgraded Basik power supply. I would have been much happier to have seen something more like a Valhalla and a 50Hz motor both for ease of upgrading to a Lingo and for 33/45 switching ease. But as to the sound for the money I have to say I am quite pleased.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Cheers Thomas.

BTW I didn't realise the Top Plate Fixing made much difference - perhaps I should get mine done after all.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Majik LP12 got a very good review in Hi-Fi News this month.

I bet it sounds pretty good with a Majik-I and Majik speakers. Amazing that a fully loaded LP12 costs 5 times as much! I bet it doesn't sound 5x better, but that's the nature of Hi-Fi I guess.

Linn might do well with this - I hope so.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Having been pretty tired of the hi-fi press and their tedious reviews, it was refreshing to read a review of the Majik LP12 in Hi-Fi World this month that actually made reference to music rather than a just an evaluation of 'bass' and 'soundstaging' ability. The editor, David Price, wrote, "The LP12 gives an unalloyed musical experience, taking you into the spirit of the song and singing its heart out. In this respect I've still yet to hear any other turntable at any price that does this". He sums up, "Nothing at the price sounds anywhere near as musical as this refreshingly affordable version of an iconic turntable."

He points out that other decks, such as the Michelle GyroDec, give more of the hi-fi stuff, but then adds that this simply doesn't matter. However, it obviously does matter because he only gives it 4 out of 5 stars when just about everything else they review gets the full 5 stars. Still, it was much better than most reviews I come across in the hi-fi press.