Recommended tool for 242 3 k array torque settings

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Freddy

Re: Recommended tool for 242 3 k array torque settings

Post by Freddy »

I would like to try some different torques on the bass drivers on 242s. How do you get to the screws? Any ideas how to take these grills off?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You have to carefully pry out the rubber rings holding the grilles into the cabinet. The rubber rings fit into grooves in the front panel hole so you have to pry them far enough out to free it from that groove. Sometimes you can do it with your fingers or you can carefully use a tiny screwdriver, trying not to damage the wood. Another way to do it, which would again need a jewelers screwdriver, would be to pry the metal grill out of the rubber ring and then get the ring out.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-01-07 22:52 You have to carefully pry out the rubber rings holding the grilles into the cabinet.
Thanks Thomas! It was easy to do it. Wow they sound good without the grills! They're not going back on. Coming back about torques. I find it quite hard to judge. Now playing with 0.8 Nm on 3K and 1.0 Nm on basses. It sounds fantastic.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Excuse me if I go off topic, but if I don’t solve this problem I can’t finish my setup.

Tryed to check the woofer screws on my 242, and I found one completely loose on the lower bass.

I verified that the problem is the threaded seat which no longer has friction in the seat.

Therefore I can neither tighten nor unscrew the screw...

I thought of two possible solutions.

1) Cut the screw with the dremel
2) Cut the screw with a cutter, but I’m afraid there’s little room for work

Other suggestions?
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Have you tried gripping the bolt with long-nose pliers and pulling the bolt away from the cabinet whilst turning anti-clockwise? Hopefully, you’ll be able to increase the friction between the t-nut and the cabinet enough to be able to remove the bolt.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-13 12:20 Have you tried gripping the bolt with long-nose pliers and pulling the bolt away from the cabinet whilst turning anti-clockwise? Hopefully, you’ll be able to increase the friction between the t-nut and the cabinet enough to be able to remove the bolt.
Yes already tryed but no luck.

I'll try with another pliers.

Thanks anyway Spannko!
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

How about removing the head of the bolt and pushing the remaining bolt and t-nut into the cabinet?
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-13 15:26 How about removing the head of the bolt and pushing the remaining bolt and t-nut into the cabinet?
Yes, is what I would do. But I think it is necessary to cut the head of the screw.

I’ll try the dremel, hoping I won’t damage the cabinet and the speaker...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

What about getting someone to grip the bolt whilst you drill the head off? There may be an indent which will allow you to drill a centred pilot hole first, then finish off with a larger drill bit, but check the hole size in the chassis first so you don’t enlarge it.