itching for upgrade

Post by Airdragon »

Hello Everyone,

Currently my system composed of:
Source: a very old Chinese CD player + Benchmark DAC1
Pre: Exotik
Pwr: Majik 2100
Spk: Katan

The main reason I did not buy a Linn CD player is I have over 500GB APE/FLAC music in my PC. Most of my time I playback all music from PC, so an expensive CD player does not make too much sense to me.

With the introduction of Klimax/Akurate DS, I think my spring is coming. Problem are price is relatively high and it's new product, quality and software are not stable yet. So I want to give a few months to stablize then purchase Akurate DS.

But I havn't upgrade anything for my system for almost 2 years, with 2007 bonus in my pocket, I am eager to buy sth. hehe

Besides the source, I think my system's weakness is the speaker. I have 3 options:
1. I am used to be a Sonus faber lover (Electa Amator I user), and always aiming for a Cremona Auditor or Guarneri (if I become extrem rich someday).
2. Buy Akurate 212
3. Buy another 2100 or 2200 with Aktiv cards for Katan

Due to the Akurate DS purchasing plan, I have to give up option 1 and 2 for the moment. But still can afford for option 3.

Now am hesitating, for long term, should I still invest on Katan active? The improvement is big? And how long I can enjoy them before I want to upgrade again.
or should I buy Akurate 212 later, forget about Katan active, compared to Akurate 212 driven by 2100 passive, which one is better?
Or should I save money now, buy Akurate DS first, then later upgrade 2100 to Klimax Twin, leave the speaker at last. By the time decide to buy Sonus faber to Akurate 212 or even 320?

Please give me your ideas if you were me. Thanks!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Save all money you can and get a DS. Then a Klimax Kontrol.
Your amp/speakers are good enough until the source/pre is top!
It's all about musical understanding!
TMV

Post by TMV »

Make your own DS system! Buy a Squeezebox 3 and connect it to the Benchmark DAC1 (or exotik D/A?).

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Read the link above;
"the treble and midrange was a little bit congested"....what does that mean,
translation anyone..?
I know that tune
Airdragon

Post by Airdragon »

Thanks MusicLover, well noted. Save money!!!

TMV, my friend got a squeezebox3 and connect to a low end DAC, I have to say I don't like it at all. I think no matter how high end the DAC is, you will never get "linn sound" which is the most important to me.

I used to insert my DAC1 between Majik CD and Akurate 2200, sound changed, more bass come out, but less "linn sound".
TMV

Post by TMV »

Lego: Sorry for the terrible stereophile link :wink: but my point was that the SB3 is an excellent digital source.

Airdragon: SB3 to a low end dac is stupid! SB3 analog out will be better! If you think the sound from the Benchmark DAC1 is all right for now the SB3 is a great and cheap digital source that allows you to play ypur flacs. If the Benchmark is not good enough buy another source first....then amps and speakers.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

TMV wrote:If the Benchmark is not good enough buy another source first....then amps and speakers.
Like a DS :mrgreen:
Akurate DS is the second best unit out there, if a Klimax DS is out of reach. (as it is for me currently, but I'm saving)
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Definately worth focussing on the source improvement plans.

However, I'm a very big fan of going active. I'd probably suggest that the most cost effective way to do this would be to trade in your Majik 2100 and get a Majik 4100 (or ideally Akurate 4200), as the Katans are only two way aktiv. This would keep your box count down, keep your costs down (as the 4x00 amps are a lot less than two 2x00 amps!) and if you move to 212s at a later date then you can just buy another 4x00 and use one for each side :)

In fact, looking at the prices on www.petertyson.co.uk the difference between the costs becomes very clear:

Linn Majik 2100 £1400.00
Linn Majik 4100 £1980.00
Linn Akurate 2200 £2530.00
Linn Akurate 4200 £3680.00
Airdragon

Post by Airdragon »

Hi rowlandhills,

Do you mean I can buy a 4100 and insert the two (treble and bass) active card all into 4100 and make my Katan active? I never heard about this. If so, the sound quality compared to buy another 2100 and going active, is it the same or little bit worth? I suspect the effect will not be as good as two active amps.

Please advice me, tks.
rowlandhills wrote:Definately worth focussing on the source improvement plans.

However, I'm a very big fan of going active. I'd probably suggest that the most cost effective way to do this would be to trade in your Majik 2100 and get a Majik 4100 (or ideally Akurate 4200), as the Katans are only two way aktiv. This would keep your box count down, keep your costs down (as the 4x00 amps are a lot less than two 2x00 amps!) and if you move to 212s at a later date then you can just buy another 4x00 and use one for each side :)

In fact, looking at the prices on www.petertyson.co.uk the difference between the costs becomes very clear:

Linn Majik 2100 £1400.00
Linn Majik 4100 £1980.00
Linn Akurate 2200 £2530.00
Linn Akurate 4200 £3680.00
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Airdragon wrote:Do you mean I can buy a 4100 and insert the two (treble and bass) active card all into 4100 and make my Katan active?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I have the equivalent scenario, with both treble and mid/bass aktvi cards for my Keilidhs in 4 of the 5 channels on an AV5125.

There are a lot of people out there with Akurate 212s and 242s aktiv using an AV5125 for each side :)
Airdragon wrote:If so, the sound quality compared to buy another 2100 and going active, is it the same or little bit worth? I suspect the effect will not be as good as two active amps.
Sound quality should be identical to two 2100s. The four channels will obviously share one power supply, but since Linn themselves are happy to use one power supply for 800w (as in the Akurate 4200) this really shouldn't be a problem.

To be honest, if you can hear the difference between 2x2100 and 1x4100, I'd be very suprised. Certainly, I would expect that the £800 difference between the two options could be spent on something else which would provide much more of an improvement!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Two 2x00 sounds a bit better than one 4x00, there are several minor advantages (such as no ground loops) in addition to getting one separate power supply for each channel.

But the 4x00 is perfect for running one single 212, so I agree with rowlandhills that it's the best option. Less expensive, fewer boxes and easily upgradeable!
Airdragon

Post by Airdragon »

Thanks rowlandhills and lejonklou,

I will upgrade amp first if the price is reasonable. I am in China, local dealer does not join the trade in promotion, so I have to go to HongKong dealer for this, trouble.
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Airdragon - Even if your dealer isn't doing the trade in promotion, you could just buy a 4100 (for less than a 2200) and sell the 2100 yourself, which would still get you a good price...
Airdragon

Post by Airdragon »

How much better is a 4200 compared to 4100?
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

4100 to 4200 is a Great leap!! i did so running activ 212s...its not just more watts..but better internal components...was very very impressed with the improvement
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree with several of the comments here so I'll try to sum it up.

Going Aktiv is a great improvement and very worthwhile. Much more musical, more powerful bass and a general greater sense of ease. Two 2100s will be a bit better than one 4100 but one 4200 is much better yet, easily outperforming two 2100s and giving a more musical, powerful sound. If it is within your price range it is the ideal solution - especially if going to 212s is a likely move in the future.

It is definitely worth going for the trade-in promo unless the dealer gives you such a low trade in value that you can get more than the 10% by selling it yourself. Good luck.
Airdragon

Post by Airdragon »

Thanks Thomas, and thank you all who give me your advice, I will see how much is a 4200 and active card here then will decide.