Equipment Racks

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Moomintroll

Equipment Racks

Post by Moomintroll »

Hi folks,

I currently have three Klouts which are stacked on the floor and want to move them into a rack of some kind to separate them out vertically. Any of you recommend anything I should look at that will be available in the UK and won't cost me a fortune?

'Troll
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Troll, I have a rack from a UK company called isoblue (http://www.isobluehifi.com), but it might be out of your budget at approx £100 per layer. I Tune Dem'd it with an LP12 against an Ikea Coffee table and it was better, although my LP12 has a Trampolin which is designed for heavy furtiture like the isoblue.
Here's a link for a DIY rack made from Ikea tables as provided by another forum member http://www.musiikin.com/lackmod.htm The Ikea tables are about £8 each and they now do home delivery. Sorry, but I haven't tried any other racks.
Linn often picture their kit on Quadraspire racks with glass shelves, but this could just be their Marketing Department selecting it based on appearance only. My wife didn't like them, so they were a non-starter.
There is always Ebay if you find something you like, but it's not within budget.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hey 'Troll i recently bought a besta unit from ikea £45(white looked the least tacky as it went with the white woodwork).You can also level it.It is horizontal tho'

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40102153

I didnt tune dem it against anything but it sounds better than my previous audiotech metal rack .(in that i didnt feel any urge to go back to the rack).My main purpose was to make the unit heavy so I could put my Tramped linn on top.My 2 klouts sit at the 2 lowest parts.I cant say that the unit is improving the sound of the klouts but the weight of the klouts,kairn,kremlin,linto and classik is making the LP12 sound better.

Although a while ago I used to quite like the sound of my kairn lk100 on the floor. :wink:

Leo
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Oh yeh 'Troll its also wide enough to put 2 keeled LP12s on top if you need to do a DJ set for your crew :lol:
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have been quite happy with the Quadraspire racks which handily outperform the Target and Sound Organisation racks I used to use. I don't know what they sell for in the UK (where they are built) but the wood ones are $165US per shelf, glass are $220 each and their reference acrylic are $395 each. There is argument as to whether the wood or glass sound better (they are close - Quadraspire recommend the wood but I slightly prefer the glass) but the acrylic are quite a bit better.

They used to make a Q4 midi rack that was the perfect size for LK series components like the Klout but they have discontinued them (I believe they may still make them custom). I have a midi rack and am quite happy with it although I may upgrade to the reference acrylic one of these days.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

There is a post on Topica singing the praises for a rack made by a company called TimeTable Hi-Fi in Germany. The post claims that they are designed by a former Linn dealer for Linn equipment and also says the upgrade in Tune Dem was similar to going from a 5103 to a K Kontrol. Anyone know anything about them or tried their equipment?

http://www.timetable-hifi.de/TT-web2/TI ... -HIFI.html
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I haven't heard the TimeTable yet, but this is the best rack I have heard so far:

http://www.tonlaget.com/harmonihyllan.html

The aluminum shelves are machined like a Keel on the bottom side and then pressed against a wooden shelf with a damping wool in between. The less expensive Harmonihyllan Oden is the second best rack I've heard so far. It is better than Quadraspire Q4 with wooden shelves (but I haven't compared with the acrylic shelves).

I knew that racks made a difference, but I had no idea how big the differences could be until I had a proper demonstration of the Mimer.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone heard the new Quadrasphire yet?

http://www.quadraspire.co.uk/latest_news/index.html#

or this from Sonority: -

http://www.sonoritydesign.co.uk/products.htm
Lejonklou wrote:but this is the best rack I have heard so far:

http://www.tonlaget.com/harmonihyllan.html

The aluminum shelves are machined like a Keel on the bottom side and then pressed against a wooden shelf with a damping wool in between. The less expensive Harmonihyllan Oden is the second best rack I've heard so far.
Unfortunately Tonlaget are not exporting the Harmonihyllan outside of Sweden yet. I keep trying to persuade them though, but with no success so far!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Anyone heard the new Quadrasphire yet?
No, but rumour has it that the square floor protectors are really good! Better than Linn Skeets. I really want to try them, but they are quite expensive.
cremona

Post by cremona »

I have ordered 2 silent running audio VR series isobaso 3.0 platforms for my solos the should be with me within two weeks.
The are component specific and are custome made to fit the solos weight.

The word on the stree is silent running audio is the best of the best

thanks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Look forward to hearing what you think, especially if you're able to Tune Dem them against your existing rack.

That's always the problem with these racks - it's probably harder to get them in the same room for comparison than it is Hi-Fi kit.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, you need to evaluate them with the Tune Method. There are many racks that give a very impressive, dynamic and detailed sound. When judged with the Tune Method one often finds that they are too damped and the music becomes more difficult to understand. Which means it's not very fun listening to music with them in the long run.

I have several such shelves and platforms at home, from light sandwich constructions to granite blocks. They were all initially impressive - and all a relief to remove a week later.
cremona

Post by cremona »

Well think its pretty easy to test have the sra platforms preform
i will have somone that can lift one of the solos of and that should give a idea what it dos or dosent.

A linn audio entusiast in the states wich words i trust very much have tried just about every kind of platforms there is, and acording to him the all do somthing that somhave colours the playback more less.

When he tested the sras the did no such thing the only made the sound more tunefull and deeper soundstage and he have been raving about them ever since.
Jonathan scull from stereophil wich is a big klimax solos entuiast , he tested the sras some years back with the solos, and liked what the did very much.

Only som 15 % of what Sillent running audio do is HIFI shelfs, the work with the military, recording studios exct.

As stated before the are somponent specific and you need to fill out a form ´regarding , weight , where the shelf will be placed what kind of component and so on.

When i had the slimdevices transporter i bourgt a vertex aq super kinabalu platform and i must say that i was baffeld when i heard have much better it sounded on the shelf.
Infact one of the things i usaly did when hifi buddys would come over was to lift it of the shelf and let people hear what it did to the sound.
Bass lost bandthwith and the soundstage got much less difined.

But if the sras ruins the music in enyway il be the first person to amit that and get rid of them.

to be continued
Last edited by cremona on 2008-06-02 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
cremona

Post by cremona »

And yes il use tune dem and very carfully narrow down what impact the will have on the playback.

:wink:
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Cremona,
Just been browsing the SRA website and looking at some of the customer rooms. I think this guy needs some help :) : - http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/image ... room19.jpg
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:Hi Cremona,
Just been browsing the SRA website and looking at some of the customer rooms. I think this guy needs some help :) : - http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/image ... room19.jpg
The question is help with what ? :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Cremona,

You're spending too much time trying to tweak you system instead of enjoying the music you're listening to. The audiophilism bug has really bitten you!!!!

Relax and enjoy the music, using the Tune Method of course!

An Ivor Tiefenbrum Tune-Method Seminar Alumni...
Last edited by vicdiaz on 2008-06-03 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:Hi Cremona,
The question is help with what ? :mrgreen:
Apparently, help with everything. :lol:
cremona

Post by cremona »

vicdiaz wrote:Cremona,

You're spending too much time trying to tweak you system instead of enjoying the music you're listening to. The audiophilism bug has really bitten you!!!!

Relax and enjoy the music, using the Tune Method of course!

An Ivor Tiefenbrum Tune-Method Seminar Alumni...
Beleive me im enjoying my music every day.
´
In my apartment the floor is quite wobberly and i can feel the amps shake when i listen to music thats why im buying the platforms.

Cabels ? thats just speculation

regards