Vinyl Re-issues

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

'It was as if Homer had come back to recite the Iliad'...was how one critic described Carlos' 5th and that pretty much sums it up.I'm not going to listen to it for a while 'cause I know I'm going to think..'maybe it's not that great'
The recording is nothing special just ok ,its the performance that shines.

I'm saying no more.

Leo
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for clearing this up!

Now I got really curious about Carlos interpretation (since Erich's version from 1949 is quite extraordinary and I am certain there are people out there who think it's a total misinterpretation because it's so different).

I found a few youtube videos that can at least give a glimpse of how Carlos treats Beethoven.

The fifth from 1982 in Mexico (there is a part 2 as well):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEajHZ0oP1Y

There is something in the tempo and attitude that reminds me of Erich's 1949 version, but this seems to lack the drama and power.

An interesting comparison is how Carlos interprets Beethoven's symphony no 7, and then how Karajan does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1qAWcd4rr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8eigkwmMEo

I am certainly no expert on classical music, but these two are so different and I feel they both have their strengths and problems.
Which do you prefer?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sorry about the Rekut slip - I'm so used to all things related to Linn having Ks replace Cs that I must have done it automatically. :oops: Or I might have been thinking of the stylized R in the logo and thinking it was a K. Either way I was aware that Linn's only part in the process was cutting the record.

I looked at my records and discovered that I already have three of the Recut titles including the Kleiber/Beethoven 5th. Quite an international endeavor: a German composer, an Austrian conductor, an Orchestra from the Netherlands and recorded there by an English record company. This then brought back to life by a Swedish company, cut onto record by a Scottish company, and pressed on German vinyl in France (I know Fredrik said the pressing was done in Sweden but two of my records have "Made In France" stickers on the back). I noticed that the area near the label has the record number and "Linn LP12 Wee Martin" engraved into it. My cohort here believes that Linn's Martin McCue would have cut the master.

I have both the records Fredrik mentions and the one Linnofil mentions but not the fourth one. Does anyone know what this is? Anyway, I am still willing to take a copy of the 5th either as a backup or to pass on to one of my associates. However, if there are others on the list who want the record and there aren't enough copies feel free to give it to one of them. I would certainly be interested in the IM4 if they still have a copy of that to complete the set. And I guess I'll have to check into the Carlos Kleiber reading as well.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Made in France, eh? Didn't know that. I wonder why, as the Swedish pressings (with German virgin vinyl) were not sold out? It might be that the old distributor took the masters etc with him when he quit and sold them on?

In any case, I now know a bit more of what's on the IM4. It is not an old masterpiece, but something they arranged and recorded in Stockholm. Not sure what *), but it was claimed to be "less interesting". I might find out more when I visit the shop and buy some Kleibers.
Broccoli - 1, Charlie - 1, Thomas - 1. In that order.

edit: *) It's the Stockholm Art Trio performing something by Brahms, I believe.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2008-02-02 03:35, edited 2 times in total.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

"I noticed that the area near the label has the record number and "Linn LP12 Wee Martin" engraved into it. My cohort here believes that Linn's Martin McCue would have cut the master".

Here's the very man in action !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20994992@N02/

[/img]
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Got the Erich Kleiber LP's! 7 brand new pieces, 100 SEK each (bargain!).

Pressed in Sweden, using German top quality vinyl (that French pressing you have, Thomas, is likely a later made version from the same master).

Now I need to find some good cardboard packaging to ship them in. And I need your addresses. Please email me at info[at]lejonklou.com!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

With reference to the original subject, I got through an original pressing of 'Veedon Fleece' by Van Morrison this week (just a couple of quid on ebay - bargin!) This does Tune Dem noticeably better than my existing 80s pressing, being less awkward and more flowing, plus the hi-fi side of things is much better too. I think it is worth trying to get as early a pressing as possible, so as long as it isn't too much more. Mind you, I'd pay an awful lot of money for a hardware upgrade of this level, so perhaps it is worth spending even more. However, £3 original pressing's on ebay would be preferable please!

PS If you like Van Morrison and don't own 'Veedon Fleece' then you're really missing out!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Broccoli and Charlie have their Erich Kleiber's on the way. I am holding one for Thomas (thought I'd combine it with some other shipping, like a prototype for evaluation or a batch of Kinki's :wink: ).

One other gentleman booked a copy (will be delivered soon) and I am saving one for myself.

Two remaining. Drop me a line if you're interested!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fredrik, another person who works with me would like one if you don't mind sending me two.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok!

All sold now!
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Many thanks to Fredrik for sending me this fantastic record!