Dressing mains cables & interconnects - is it worth it?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Dressing mains cables & interconnects - is it worth it?

Post by Charlie1 »

Since discovering the delights of Tune Dem, I've been making a few tweaks as suggested by forum members. In an effort to find some more, I recalled something I'd once seen on the Naim forum where some members had found benefit by organising their mains cables and interconnects. I think the term was 'cable dressing' and they made sure there was no contact between certain cables or something along those line. Anyway, it sounds like a lot of bother and I don't want to go through the process unless there is a benefit to Tune Dem.
Have any members done this and was it worthwhile?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Normally best to separate the cables from each other.
Cable dressing? Got any pictures :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

LOL :D
This is the best I could find you: -
http://www.purestcut.com.au/shop/images ... Detail.jpg
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't done a lot of comparisons but I do believe it can make an improvement. One place where it definitely helps is on the leads from the tonearm. The left and right channels should be stripped away from each other all the way back to the turntable for best sound.

As for the rest of the cables it is best to keep the signal cables away from the power cables as much as possible and particularly to not have them running close to and parallel to each other. This was far easier in the old LK series days when Linn seemed to pay attention to these things as the power connectors were all on the same side of the equipment making it simple for them to all run together and away from the interconnects. This in contrast with the newer components like the Majik series where the AC connects to one of the units on the left side, to another on the right side and to the third in the middle if you have the CD player, preamp and amp.

Other than trying to keep the AC cables and interconnects apart I haven't really gotten into much in the way of dressing my cables. Maybe some tube socks would help (although I really like the example shown above :) ). I know there are some who get into putting the cables on little risers (some of which resemble curling stones) but I haven't played with anything like this.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Are you 100% sure about the physical separation between right and left channel on the tonearm lead, Thomas?

The reason I ask is that I always used to do this in the past, but then a few years ago I installed a T-kable on my own LP12 and really listened to what happened when I separated it. The sound became bigger, but I actually felt it was slightly less musical when separated. Since then I have not split one single tonearm cable... only informed people that it's possible to do so.

I now have a new T-kable that I have not dared split yet, as it's difficult to go back. If you are absolutely certain that it's better, though, I think I'll do it. :D

Regarding the rest, I agree with what you say. A simple separation of mains and signal cables is beneficial. Clamping cables together is normally not, I think they sound best when they lie freely. I did some experiments with lifting long cables up (on tiny supports etc) from the floor in the past, but always found it to be best just leaving them alone.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:Are you 100% sure about the physical separation between right and left channel on the tonearm lead, Thomas?

The reason I ask is that I always used to do this in the past, but then a few years ago I installed a T-kable on my own LP12 and really listened to what happened when I separated it. The sound became bigger, but I actually felt it was slightly less musical when separated. Since then I have not split one single tonearm cable... only informed people that it's possible to do so.

I now have a new T-kable that I have not dared split yet, as it's difficult to go back. If you are absolutely certain that it's better, though, I think I'll do it. :D
Don't get your scalpel out yet! I haven't done what I would consider a conclusive A/B tune comparison on split vs. unsplit on the T.Kable. I have always found the music to improve on the black tonearm cables when split and just continued splitting on the T.Kables (especailly since some of the early T.Kables came pre-split from Linn). I will have to give it a closer listen next time I have an opportunity and report back.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

ThomasOK wrote: (especailly since some of the early T.Kables came pre-split from Linn).
I got one of the very first T.Kables from Linn, and it was not pre-split. But the connection between the 2 cables was very easy to split, you didn't need force for that. So maybe some of the earliest T.Kables got split during packaging or transport?

Anyway, my dealer had them split so I never had a chance to do a comparison.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the tips everyone.