Arm cable dressing

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Mikeg

Arm cable dressing

Post by Mikeg »

Hi

Everything I have read about LP12 setup stresses the importance of proper arm cable dressing. As I understand it this means ensuring that the cable is tightly anchored to the plinth via the P Clip and that it does not impede the suspension. A good yank on the cable and neither the cable nor P clip moves should tell me it is properly anchored. Checking that the suspension bounce is the same with and without the cable attached to the arm should tell me it is not impeding the suspense.

What I really want to know is what difference it all makes to the sound. How does the LP12 sound if the cable is incorrectly dressed?

Thanks

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Worse!

:mrgreen:

Sorry, I can't think of a better answer at the moment. When you get the suspension and the arm dressing right, it just adds the last part of performance, making your LP12 sing.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

It has been said that using a soft thin flexible cable, which wont affect suspension, is not as good as the Linn cable. How can the Urika arm cable be any good. No P-clip, no "stiff" arm cable ????
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good question. Back in the day, I received a mechanical explanation of the LP12, including how the arm cable kept the subchassis from rotating. When the motor pulls on the inner platter through the belt, the subchassis is rotated clockwise and can start oscillating. But the arm cable pulls in the opposite direction and stabilises the subchassis, while ideally not affecting the vertical movement.

I can accept that the shorter cable of the Urika is beneficial from an electrical point of view, but that it was also claimed to improve the suspension surprised me.

Maybe someone at Linn can answer this question?