Information on new Majik, please?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ceilidh

Information on new Majik, please?

Post by Ceilidh »

:D

May I please ask a favour of the more experienced folks here?

Most of you seem to be far beyond the Linn entry level -- but in your visits to dealers and conversations with audiophile friends, surely some of you may have gained impressions of the new Majik-I (as well as of the Majik 140). If so, could you please post your impressions, for the benefit of daydreaming novices (such as myself) who aren't in a position to visit dealers? Thank you very much!

Any impressions would be valued (Tune Dem most of all, of course!). But in particular I'd love to learn two things:

1) How does the Majik-I's preamp section sound compared to the Majik Kontrol, and/or to the Unidisk SC's preamp section?

2) If you were saving up for a "modern" Linn entry-level system, would you go for a Majik-I + Majik CD? Or would a (used) Unidisk SC + Majik 2100 be better? (I'm basically interested in 2-channel Redbook....)

Again, this is just daydreaming -- but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-C
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Havn't compared them but heard the 140's after various amps/systems at two dealers, using Akurate CD and the two DS's. (thinking about it also a SC)
For sure Linn did a good job on them.

Same goes for the new integrated amp.
It doesent sound weak or so, just plays music. :)

It nice to notice how good an Akurate CD is used with the new amp/speaker.
Do I have to write about my impressions using a Klimax DS in that system :shock:
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The Majik Integrated is a very impressive sounding piece of equipment. We have compared it to the Majik Kontrol/Majik 2100 combo and it does well in the comparison. The pre/power combo is a bit more tuneful and more detailed but the integrated gives you a very similar sound for about half the money. I was honestly expecting a bigger difference between them but the integrated gives a high percentage of the sound of the separates. Very good performance for the money and a good MM phono stage as well - better than the Rega Fono although not as musical and powerful as the Lekonklou Kinki.

I just this week fine tuned the setup on the Majik 140s in one of our sound rooms. I was somewhat surprised by the optimum position as they sounded most tuneful and dynamic at just under 17" from the back wall with 3/4" of toe in. This is farther out than most Linn speakers sound best (although very close to the optimum position for the Artikulat 350As) although it shouldn't have been too surprising as they sounded bass heavy when we just set them about 7" from the back wall to burn them in. I have to say I am quite pleased with the sound of the Majik 140s. I was concerned about the blend between the 6.5" midbass driver and the 2K array but I needn't have been. I hear no obvious discontinuity there as the 140 just produces tuneful, detailed and balanced music without either the drivers or the cabinet drawing attention to themselves. I feel that it is certainly superior to the Ninka and probably even better than the Espek although it has been a while since I've heard them so I can't be sure. It is certainly competitive with other good speakers in the price range. If it was just a bit prettier I'd be really happy - not that I have a lot to talk about when it comes to the attractiveness of my speakers!
Ceilidh

Thank you!

Post by Ceilidh »

Music Lover and ThomasOK, thank you very much, both of you!!

The Majik-I must be very nice!! From your responses, it sounds like its pre-amp section might be close enough to that of the Majik Kontrol, Unidisk SC, Exotik, and 5103 that I can just look for whatever's the best deal at time of purchase (i.e., perhaps a new Majik-I would sound about as good as a used Majik Kontrol, Exotik, 5103, or UniSC?). In any case, it's nice to see a piece of new Linn equipment (beyond the Classik) that a fellow like me can imagine someday buying new -- kudos to Linn!!

Thank you as well for the info on the Majik 140 -- I love my Ninkas, but it's always good to have something to look forward to (though I'm still a little leery of the appearance (from photographs); the Ninkas just look nice in my living room... :D).

Anyway, I really appreciate your thoughts and guidance -- may you both please have a great 2008!

- C
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Thanks for the kind words, I'm just happy to assist.
btw, the 140 looks better live. And you can order the grilles so you cover the 2k array/bass drivers
It's all about musical understanding!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Thank you!

Post by Linnofil »

Ceilidh wrote:From your responses, it sounds like its pre-amp section might be close enough to that of the Majik Kontrol, Unidisk SC, Exotik, and 5103 that I can just look for whatever's the best deal at time of purchase (i.e., perhaps a new Majik-I would sound about as good as a used Majik Kontrol, Exotik, 5103, or UniSC?).
I have compared the preampsection on the Majik-I with the Majik Kontrol. I was not too impressed with the Majik-I, but the (big) difference in performance is reflected in the price, so fair enough. But I think a Majik Kontrol with a LK140 will be better (without a direct comparison). I think the power amp is more impressive than the preamp in the Majik-I.

Sadly enough the poweramp can't be used separately! (As in old Majik-I and Intek.) It would be much more logical to replace the preamp section in an integrated amp when upgrading than the poweramp. And going active with that preampsection? (As Linn suggests.) I don't think so, It's just not a smart thing to do.

The Majik 140 is very impressive! I'm pretty sure they are better than Espek. I have compared Espek with Komponent 110's and even Komponent are better than the Espeks. (In pure tunedem.) With the 140's you also get a full spectrum of (better)sound.

I would start with an analouge Exotik, a 5125, (to run your Ninkas active) and an Akurate CD, all these should be reasonable in price, when you finally have saved up! In choosing between your options I would probably go for the SC. Probably not as good on CD as the other option, but movie are fun! At least on a Linn HT system.