Linn Basik?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Linn Basik?

Post by Efraim roots »

Is Linn Basik a decent turntable compared to a Rega P3 for example? Which is better?

Is Linn Axis and Basik almost identical representing the same level of performance?

Would you say a original Akito is much better than Basik tonearm (straight standard basik)?
the players of instruments shall be there..
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

A Linn Basik it close to a Rega Planar 3 but the Rega RB300 tonearm is quite a step up from the Akito. The Axis is a much batter turntable than both of them. I upgraded from a Rega Planar three to an Axis and it was a big leap - was over twenty years ago.

CJ
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

basik

Post by anthony »

I prefer a Basik, with Akito, which is much better, than the basik tonearm.
The Rega will still be supported, unlike the Basik.
Sonett

Post by Sonett »

Here is a brief overview.

Axis

This is the best table on your list. Please note that there are 2 different versions.
Mark I came with the Basik LVX arm, followed by the Basik Plus. Table and arm sold for $600 in the U. S. Cartridges were additional and up to the K9 was generally fitted.

Mark II came with the original Akito. It can be easily identified by having the switch mounted on the top plate (grey) rather than the black vinyl plinth. The top plate is considerably thicker on the Mark II - perhaps twice as thick - and this can be seen by looking at the edge between top plate and plinth. The Mark II sold for $900 US, a 50% price hike. Same cartridges were used.

Caveats - The Axis is the only fully suspended table on your list - the top plate is attached to the top of the feet while the plinth (with the motor) is attached to the bottom of the feet. The two foot sections are suspended with a thin trampoline. The feet and trampoline are a single molding. Several years later this design developed into the Trampolinn for the LP12. Note - There are locking screws on the bottom of the table for transport (just like some CD players) which need to be removed for the suspension to work.

The Axis had a quite sophisticated power regeneration board which filled the plinth and had heat sinks on the rear. Both 33 1/3 and 45 were available from this board via the main power switch. This board later developed into the Lingo. These boards are now 20-30 years old and all of the electronics are subject to age. It would be wise to have an independent tech available, or the skills to service these as Linn don't. Two small screws for the fine tuning of the two speeds are accessed on the bottom of the table. A Linn set-up jig is helpful, as is a Speed Checker or other strobe device - or a friend with perfect pitch.

Basik Turntable

This was introduced about the same time as the Axis II and sold for the same price as the original - $600 with arm, which was also the Akito. The plinth and top plate were of a single piece, with the trampoline feet used only for isolation. AC synchronous motor with 2 pulleys, so no electronics to age. The inner platter was of plastic rather then metal. The only part to wear is the belt, which is the same as an LP12. For perspective, $600 was also the price of the Index Plus loudspeaker. An LP12 was $1650, and could be playable (+arm & cart) for $2K. Loaded (Lingo, Ekos, Troika) was about $6500.

Rega

The P3 is a newer table than the Planar 3. It has a different plinth construction and updated arm. The motor mount is rigid rather than suspended on a small belt.
The Planar 3 was $495 while the Planar 2 was $395.

Arms

Yes, the Akito is better than the Basik Plus, which is better than the Basik LVX. I never found a bad one, but the Akito seems to have a reputation for bearing problems. It would be wise to check the bearings on any used arm. These are getting rather old by now. The problems stem more from abuse than use. Linn arms must be removed to mount or remove a cartridge.

Another table which is very worthwhile is the Revolver Rebel. The motor is synchronous with twin pulleys. There is no subplatter, just a single lightweight plastic platter with the belt running around the circumference. Twin plinths, with the motor on the bottom and the bearing and arm on the top. A resilient substance is between the plinths. Later samples were more resilient (more squishy) and sounded better. The table was designed to be used with the PIG (Precision Instant Grip) which was a record clamp. It was a small rubber molding which looked something like a chess pawn. Press fit over the spindle fully and pull off to remove. Yes, it improved the sound and should be considered mandatory on this table. Arm mount is Linn, and the table came with either a Revolver arm (sourced from Jelco) or the Basik LVX (better). Finish choice was either grey hammered or a high gloss red stained wood veneer. Smoked grey bevelled plexi lid. Price was $450-550. The only problems would be the belt and ensuring the PIG did not wander off somewhere to herd sheep. Bearing oil was Mobil 1 synthetic. Standard cartridge was the "Bullet", an Audio-Technica 95 with the stylus permanently bonded in place as Linn had done with their Basik cartridge.

Performance

This is not exhaustive due to lack of continuity between some models. The importation of the Revolver ceased with the passing of the company founder. We replaced it with the Rega Planar 2 and Planar 3. The Linn Basik came along after both the Axis II introduction and the Revolver disappearance, and so was not directly compared with Axis I or Revolver. All comparisons were done with the same cartridge and arm, excepting the Regas which had their own stock arms.
Ascending order.

Rega Planar 2
Rega Planar 3 - Better than any CD at any price in its day.
Revolver Rebel - yes, better than a Rega Planar 3. I suspect rather close to a Basik.
Linn Basik
Linn Axis (Mark I)
Linn Axis (Mark II) - if you want an Axis this is the one to get. Not many seem to know the difference, even if you can tell at a glance. Most auctions don't distinguish between them.

Yes, the hierarchy applies here as always. Turntable>Arm>Cartridge. An Axis II with LVX will be better than a Basik with Akito. The Audio Technica AT 95 is a great value for these tables. They can be had for $50 or less new. Get two. Might be worth adding a bit of cyanoacrylate (Superglue) to one as an experiment. We found that the Bullet modified version performed between a Basik cartridge and a K5. An Adikt might be overkill - others will know.

The younger and smarter kids around here can perhaps share their knowledge of the newer P3 and RP3 versus the older Linns.
Last edited by Sonett on 2014-02-08 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Excellent summary, Sonett!

I can't, however, recall any Axis with a Basik LVX arm. The first ones I saw had Basik Plus - was there really any LVX arms still available then?

Secondly: That problems with Akito arm bearing stem from abuse is simply not correct. It's enough to remove and gently reinstall the arm a couple of times (for changing cartridge) for notches to develop in the Akito horizontal bearings. And even though you treat these arms with utmost care, they develop friction over time in the vertical bearings as well. In short: A great sounding arm that was NOT made to last.
In comparison, nearly all Basik Plus and Ittok arms out there still have bearings in great shape.

And regarding the Audio Technica AT-93: The AT-95E with eliptical stylus is better. Their bodies is said to be identical, so the stylii can be easily compared.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Fantastic replies, what a quality thread this became. Special thanks to Sonett! This part of LINN turntable history was very unclear for me, now I got the best possible summary served on a silver plate :-)

Regarding RB300 tonearm vs Akito, do you other guys also think RB300 is superior, I guess we're talking tune dem and not build quality? Rega arms has not been popular on LINN turntables why is that you think?
the players of instruments shall be there..
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Still on a Rega Planar 3 here, I think with RB250 arm, Benz Micro Gold element.
I've seen a couple of Linn Basik and Axis turntables pass by, but were not sure how they would compare towards my current deck, so excellent and very insightful summary, Sonnet.

Just recently spotted an Axis MK1 with Basik plus arm, but the possible ageing electronics keep me off, so not sure if this is enough of a step forward.

Having good experiences with Rega, their anniversary model RP40 is also still available, priced at 1000 Euro. Or would that already get me into solid (s/h) LP12 territory?
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

You're in to solid LP12 territory there Marco, and much better than the Rega.
I prefer the original P3 with RB300 arm to the new version P3. The original had a much better arm mount and sounded better as a consequence.
Great write up by Sonnet, and he is bang on with his TT hierarchy!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Phil!

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your comments.
From memory I thought that all P3s had a 250 arm fitted but I may be wrong there.
The element is in fact a Benz MC20E, I recently had it checked and it appears still in perfect order. To get the P3 some more daily use I'd probably better get a multi input preamp first ;-)

My listening is to the DS so switching sources requires replugging the Kikkin 2.2

Cheers,

Marco
pdcman

Post by pdcman »

Hi Marco.
If you're interested in an LP12, I will be servicing/upgrading a LP12/Ittok next week at my local dealers. Should be less than £1k depending on what new cartridge I fit.......
Phil