Linn Klimax DSM

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ledcam

Linn Klimax DSM

Post by ledcam »

We have the opportunity of replacing our ADSM with a KDSM.
Currently we have the ADSM running into ATC Active 100 Towers by means of balanced cables and our sub connected using unbalanced Linn Silvers.

When we auditioned the KDSM at home we could not get it to play at all. We now know there is an option in Konfig to change outputs.

It seemed as though the balanced sockets and unbalanced sockets interfered with each other and only produced a loud hum.

There is a member on this Forum who sometime ago upgraded from an ADS and Kinos if my memory is correct to a KDSM and ran his 345A sub into the KDSM using unbalanced silvers.

If that person is reading this can you tell me how you achieved that?

We are very keen to upgrade but not if we have to lose the sub.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Klimax DSM

Post by hcl »

ledcam wrote:We have the opportunity of replacing our ADSM with a KDSM.
Currently we have the ADSM running into ATC Active 100 Towers by means of balanced cables and our sub connected using unbalanced Linn Silvers.

When we auditioned the KDSM at home we could not get it to play at all. We now know there is an option in Konfig to change outputs.

It seemed as though the balanced sockets and unbalanced sockets interfered with each other and only produced a loud hum.

There is a member on this Forum who sometime ago upgraded from an ADS and Kinos if my memory is correct to a KDSM and ran his 345A sub into the KDSM using unbalanced silvers.

I have no help to provide regarding KDSM and sub, but (someone else will likely shead some light on your question and) I am pretty sure a KDSM and your present speakers will be alot better, even the bass (maybe not more bass - it will probably be perceived as less, even with the sub, but alot better).

(Interesting sentense, I will have to work on my language skills :-)

Edit; Removed missleading info.
Last edited by hcl on 2014-01-03 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

ATC 100s have the power amps built in so there is no access to the high-level connections. Nor is there a low-level passthrough. I know that using the Balanced and Unbalanced outputs on a KDS is not a good idea as they share the same circuit. I'm not sure if this is also the case with the KDSM since it has some preamp circuitry as well but it may be the same.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Klimax DSM

Post by anthony »

ledcam wrote:We have the opportunity of replacing our ADSM with a KDSM.

Did you try it without the sub connected? Was the preamp on in Konfig?
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

Thanks for your replies. I have had further chats with the dealer. He contacted Linn direct yesterday and spoke with Neil Parry who thought that the only way round this was to put an isolation transformer in line.

This has now been ordered up and we'll see if it works.
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

Funny how often in life you intend going in one direction only to head somewhere else. After a good bit of very helpful discussion Linn confirmed that the KDSM would not best suit our needs.

An in-line isolation transformer while reducing the hum considerably through the subwoofer did not unfortunately stop it. It really was still quite noticeable.

A further discussion led us to considering buying a KDS/1 to feed in to the ADSM. This was quite an interesting debate. Long story short, we have traded in the ADSM and have bought a new KDS/1 and a very recent KK/1. A very nice inclusion is the Linn Winter Promo.

So, how the poster on here got his sub to work with a KDSM remains a mystery to me but we feel very happy with the outcome we have achieved.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Congratulations Archie with your superb upgrade.
Going from ADSM to KDS1 + KK1 must leave little to be desired in musical terms.

Full focus can be pointed now again on simply enjoying more music.

Cheers,

Marco
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

Thanks Marco. Yes, a bit like waiting for Christmas morning as a child! Should be with us sometime next week.
ledcam

Post by ledcam »

All up and running - superbly. Sincere thanks to Anthony and Mary at Rococo for suggesting and encouraging a change of thinking! Crucially the sub is now happily talking to the KK. Happy days!
dubselect

Post by dubselect »

Interesting. I am using KDSM with K320A (balanced outputs) and K345 (unbalanced outputs). They sound amaizng together. XLR and RCA outputs on KDSM work together at the same time. And there is no opportunity to turn off any of them.

If anyone has problems with hum - try to connect all the devices (KDSM, active speakers (or amps) and sub) into the same power socket (power distributor, power conditioner or power regenerator). That should help.