Klouts vs. Majik

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

fgarciab

Klouts vs. Majik

Post by fgarciab »

I have a Linn system with Pre Kairn, Aktive Kaber and 1 LK100 and two LK140. I have the opportunity to buy 2 klouts second hand for around 1900€. My question is if this is a good investment o it is better to invest the money in a new Majik 6 channels amp that goes for around 3600€. Are the klouts superior to the new majik amp?.

Any experience with both amps?.
fgarciab
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Active Kaber is a really fun speaker.
Welcome to the forum.

I take it you have a tunebox? =no need of active cards that increase cost.

I compared the amps but not using Karin/Kaber, just with modern Linn equipment as Kinos/Ninka.
I prefered the 100w chakra but Klout are still very good.

Before answering, what is you goal?
3 Klouts?
I heard 3Klouts/Kaber and it was rock&roll!!

And what do you miss today that you hope to address with new amps?
More dynamic, bass, power and sound = invest in Klouts
Better music = upgrade the source/pre first...
It's all about musical understanding!
fgarciab

Post by fgarciab »

Hi Music Lover,

Thank you for your replay. My current system is CD Mimik, Pre Kairn, two LK140 and one LK100 with a tune box active Kabers. I was happy with he sound. Then I saw an ad for two klouts secondhand and I started to think on an upgrade. I remember the klouts driving a active ketik and it was impressive but the system was to expensive for me those days. So I have just got the two klouts in my system for a 7 days trial. (Price 2000€).

I have noticed a great improvement in the system but now I can hear the lower quality of the LK140. Therefore, I think I need to buy another klout for the system to work perfect. As klouts are difficult to find first and second as the investment will be around 3.000€, I was considering the possibility of buying a Majik 6100 for almost the same money (new technology, 5 years guaranty, etc). My concern is if I will be able to achieve the same level of sound quality with the Majik as with three klouts. I believe that the Majik is the entry level (old LK) and I think I need to go to the akurate product line to achieve the same level I can achieve with the klouts. As the investment with the akurate is much higher, I don´t think it makes sense for me know. Better to invest 3.000€-3.700€ (Klouts-Majik)and save money to improve the source. I am waiting to hear about the Akurate DS.

So, again, how do you compare the thee klouts with the Majik 6100?. When you say you prefer the chakra, what product line are you referring to (Majik or Akurate)?. Is the Majik with only 100w powerful enough to drive my kabers?.

Still confused.

By the way, do you know of a market place to find a second hand klout?.

Best regards ad thank you for your advise.
fgarciab
poppop

Post by poppop »

Hi fgarciab

Based only on some of the equipment you have that I have actually heard. My best suggestion would be:

Go for the 2 klouts you have and then as you say go for a third. Sell the LK100 & 140 & Mimik. c£600 and get an Ikemi(C£800?) or other upgrade to the mimik.

I had 3 klouts active with Ninkas and still feel it was one of the best systems Ive had. I also had a mimik and that was probably one of the poorest Linn components I had. BUT it wasnt until 2 years later and listening to other cps that I realised this!!

At the present time Linn still service klouts. However, how much longer before they dont, Im sure others on this forum may know.

Im sure everyone will have different views, and as always try and hear for yourself.

Good luck

steve.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I meant Klout vs chakra 100w. 100w chakra has more tune.
BUT Klout has power!
Tricky on Kaber that need power...

What about you having a tunebox or not?
Kaber filter to chakra amps are not likely to be found second hand = add cost.
Kaber filters to Klout can be found = less costly and the one in your LK100 can be used in Klout given that you dont use a tunebox today. LK140filter are stereo = dont fit Klout.
fgarciab

Post by fgarciab »

Well, I have finally decided to return the two klouts and keep my 2xLK140+1xLK100. The reason is that I found that the 2 klouts with the LK140 were not producing a satisfactory sound (sound was dry, packed and without musicality). At first I thought that the problem was in the LK140, but when I remove one of the klouts and kept 1 klout in bass with two LK140 in mid and treble, the quality of the sound improved substantially. I know it does not make sense but in my system the klouts were not performing. I have made all kind of test, (change the amps to bass, mid and treble, move the speakers, etc) with no positive results.

Therefore, I have decided to focus my attention in the source, I believe that I have to change the CD Mimik. (I will post a new message with this question).

Thank you anyway for your advice on this matter.
fgarciab
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

You did these tests with all amps active?

Next time if you are usure about an amp performance, compare them one by one passive...
It can be that one of the Klouts was not ok. Or had the active cards wrong installed/not correct adapted back to passive (I hope you know that Klout's from different age must follow different procedures installing the cards)
A Klout is normally a good deal better than a LK140