Tune Dem of Valve Amps?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Tune Dem of Valve Amps?

Post by Charlie1 »

I've had some spare time recently (as you have probably realized by all my posts!), so decided to listen to a Single Ended Triode Valve amp for the first time. I often read Hi-Fi World who are big fans of valve amps, especially SETs, so I thought it was time to hear one for myself.
The amp was a Audion Silver Night 300B SE II integrated, retailing for approx £2,700 in the UK, driving Living Voice Avatar speakers (£3,200). Front end was a Nottingham Analogue Ace Space (£1,100 + arm etc)
I was really impressed. Everything sounded so lifelike that it made my Linn system sound artificial (LP12SE, Majik Control, 6100, Ninka's.) I was particularly surprised by the very tight punchy bass and speed of the system which was not what I expected at all from a SET amp. And even though it was only a 10 watts per channel amp, it was easily as loud as my system, if not louder, so approx 4/10 was plenty enough for rock music. Obviously, this is really down to the speakers, but I was still very surprised by the result.
However, I don't think it was quite as tuneful or rhythmic as my Linn, although it was certainly exciting when appropriate and always engaging.

Next step would be to Tune Dem at home against my Majik. My question is whether anyone else has Tune Dem'd any valve kit against Linn equipment and what they thought?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I've got friend that once had very expensive (about 60-70k GBP) "audiophile" system. Separate top-loader cd transport, dual-mono balanced tubed dac, tube preamplifiler and also class A tube (valve) SET monoblock power amplifilers plus very efficient speakers (about 92dB). When he was looking for the turntable, he had tried Linn LP12. When he asked the dealer what was the rest of the system - standing at the back of the room answer was - all-linn-system. He bringed his system to compare.

After some time...
He now owns all-linn-system playing LP12 through Sondek, CD also by Sondek just CD12. Amps are mighty Klimax 500 Solo. And he is saying the same thing to everyone who would ask about the previous system: "How stupid I was. Sacrificing music and speaker abilities to power amplifiler power." He's been caught by Linn-bug... I've met him at one of linn presentations by asking about his system and music he bringed with him.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for responding bbtye - it was interesting to hear about your friend. This is my fear also. In fact, having reflected on the matter, I've decided not to take it further and stay with my Linn system. It would be an expensive move and one which I am not confident would give me long term satisfaction - I fear I'd slowly listen to less and less music. I appreciate the Linn design and test philosophy (even more so having performed Tune Dem), so I'd rather keep the system that least distorts the pitch (i.e. more in tune) than replace it with a system that is less in tune even though it sounds slightly more lifelike. Cheers, Charlie.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Charlie,are you sure your Lp12 is up to scratch.?If it is well set up and on a suitable support one is automatically drawn away from thoughts about hifi and what tubes!!?? sound like :(;your music should sound amazing.

Leo
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Leo,
I can't be absolutely sure the LP12 is at it's best, but have no reason to suspect that it isn't. I use a dealer with a great many years experience of setting up LP12s and the SE upgrades are obviously recent.
The system is musically involving and I do get a great deal of pleasure from listening to it, but I don't think I'm alone in still seeking improvements despite this. Listening to what the audio industry has to offer (other than just Linn) is part of that. I've never been to Hi-fi shows and have little RECENT experience outside the likes of Linn, Naim and a few others. I simply wanted to expand my experience whilst I had the spare time to do so .
Best Rgds, Charlie.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Charlie,
Thats good, just checking.Keep us informed.

Have a great Hogmanay

Leo
I know that tune