Tune Dem of Headphones

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tune Dem of Headphones

Post by Charlie1 »

Bought K92s as a cost effective and easier to drive replacement for my aging pair of HD650s after my daughter sat on them. More info coming through and musical but need more running in I think. Bass doesn't seem as tuneful yet.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

AKG’s generally need 150 hours or even more

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2020-05-16 12:38 Fredrik,

The SR125e look like a great budget buy for under £140, but how would you say they compare to the Apple plugin buds in terms of sound and musicality?
It took me a while to find an original pair of analogue Apple Earpods. More common these days are those with a lightning connector with a DAC inside (and they sound worse).

Apple Earpods are also probably the most copied headphones in the world and every copy I've heard sounds terrible. They look so alike it's serious detective work trying to tell the original from the copy - until you listen to them. Then it's obvious which is which.

Anyway, I think I found an original pair. And the Grado SR125e are much better. Both more musically nuanced and gentler on the ears.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-05-20 16:52
Spannko wrote: 2020-05-16 12:38 Fredrik,

The SR125e look like a great budget buy for under £140, but how would you say they compare to the Apple plugin buds in terms of sound and musicality?
It took me a while to find an original pair of analogue Apple Earpods. More common these days are those with a lightning connector with a DAC inside (and they sound worse).

Apple Earpods are also probably the most copied headphones in the world and every copy I've heard sounds terrible. They look so alike it's serious detective work trying to tell the original from the copy - until you listen to them. Then it's obvious which is which.

Anyway, I think I found an original pair. And the Grado SR125e are much better. Both more musically nuanced and gentler on the ears.
Excellent, thank you. The 125’s are available from Amazon for £130 with 5 months interest free credit, which seems like a real bargain. I’m just about to order a pair 😁
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Hi all,

FIrst I'd like to thank all of you who have contributed with tests and reviews in this thread, very interesting and useful!

My current headphones, AKG 501, are getting old and worn, so I'm considering investing in a new pair. I'm obviously interested in the Grado SR125e, but my problem with that model is that it is an On-ear model. My personal experience is that On-ear models make my ears hurt after longer listening sessions. I often have long sessions, while working in the home office or in the evenings. So an Over-ear model, like the AKG 501 I have now, seems to be the way to go.

Do you own, or have listened to, the Grado SR125e? What is your experience regarding ear fatigue with these headphones? I realise that it being an On-ear model doesn't automatically make it fatiguing, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

What Over-ear models worth considering are there? Has anyone Tune Demed anything interesting? Fredrik, you had the AKG 550 (seems to be discontinued, though) on your list, just below the Grados. Is there an Over-ear model that betters the Grado, but is not as expensive as the Diana (which is a bit too expensive, unfortunately)? My budget would be somewhere around 300-400 Euros, but I'd be happy to consider suggestions slightly above that as well.

Regarding Noise Cancelling models, I'd like to avoid them, as I'll be listening at home and NC isn't really that important. Musicality and ear comfort are my main requirements.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I only feel the pressure of my PS500e's after a few hours, but then again, they have the L cushions and the SR125e's have the S cushion. Another factor is if you wear glasses or not and the size of your ears.
It might also be an option to replace the standard cushions with one of these: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands
Mind you, they change the sound slightly.
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-07-02 10:03 I only feel the pressure of my PS500e's after a few hours, but then again, they have the L cushions and the SR125e's have the S cushion. Another factor is if you wear glasses or not and the size of your ears.
It might also be an option to replace the standard cushions with one of these: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/grado-earpads-headbands
Mind you, they change the sound slightly.
Thanks, Tendaberry. Worth considering. I'm a bit worried about the change in sound, though. Tricky.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I found both the SR125 and the SR325 to be a little too bright and bass shy compared too my PS500e, so it may be a good thing.
You can actually fit the larger G cushions to the PS500's, but I don't know if it's possible for the SR125's.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You can fit the G, L and S cushions to any of the Grado models except the iGrados. So SR60 on up. We have had customers put the G cushions on PS500s and SR325s and they have been quite happy with them. They do each have slightly different sounds so best to try them if you can. Since we normally have every standard Grado model except the PS2000 on display (and may add that before long) it is easy for people to try the sound with the different cushions. No Hemp version here, however, even though it would seem appropriate for Ann Arbor. But it would be a nightmare trying to keep up with all the Grado special editions.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-07-02 18:14 You can fit the G, L and S cushions to any of the Grado models except the iGrados. So SR60 on up. We have had customers put the G cushions on PS500s and SR325s and they have been quite happy with them. They do each have slightly different sounds so best to try them if you can. Since we normally have every standard Grado model except the PS2000 on display (and may add that before long) it is easy for people to try the sound with the different cushions. No Hemp version here, however, even though it would seem appropriate for Ann Arbor. But it would be a nightmare trying to keep up with all the Grado special editions.
Thank you, ThomasOK. Good to know about the cushions. I'll talk to my dealer (Anders) about this, maybe I'd get the chance to try something out.

Regarding the exception, were you perhaps referring to the eGrado? That one seems to be of a different type than all the others. Looking at a picture of it on the Grado website, it indeed seems the cushions won't fit.

I would still be interested in an Over-ear model of another brand, that wouldn't require tweaking. If any comes to mind, please let me know.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, it is the eGrado now, although it was originally the iGrado. We haven't had them in the store for years so I'm not sure I have even seen the new version. As for over the ear headphones I would try to give a listen to the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 headphones. They are a bit more expensive than the Grado PS500e here and should be pretty musical. (I haven't heard the "2' version but I thought the originals were pretty good, although I never did a direct A/B with the PS500es. One customer did do extensive A/Bs with them and ended up buying two pair of PS500es, however.) They are comfortable and are available in both open backed and closed versions. The Dan Clark Audio closed versions are about as good a closed back headphone as I've heard, but the open versions are still better.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2020-07-02 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-07-02 22:05 Yes, it is the eGrado now, although it was originally the iGrado. We haven't had them in the store for years so I'm not sure I have even seen the new version. As for over the ear headphones I would try to give a listen to the David Clark Audio Aeon 2 headphones. They are a bit more expensive than the Grado PS500e here and should be pretty musical. (I haven't heard the "2' version but I thought the originals were pretty good, although I never did a direct A/B with the PS500es. One customer did do extensive A/Bs with them and ended up buying two pair of PS500es, however.) They are comfortable and are available in both open backed and closed versions. The David Clark Audio closed versions are about as good a closed back headphone as I've heard, but the open versions are still better.
When I first read this I thought, 'WHOA! David Clark makes consumer headphones now?!' (for those not familiar with the brand, David Clark has been the industry benchmark in aviation communication headsets for decades, they're the most uncomfortable devices I have ever subjected my ears to, and they sound terrible! They're also enormous and very, very green.) I did a quick search to find out more info and quickly discovered the consumer headphones are made by Dan, not David: https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/headphones.html. I don't know if the two are related but hopefully Dan's products are more comfortable and sound better David's. They certainly look a lot better!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Oops! Now corrected. To further confuse matters Dan Clark Audio is the new name of the company previously known as Mr. Speakers, which originally introduced the Ether C and Aeon Flow series. (But no speakers.)
The LP12 Whisperer
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Thanks guys. Will check Dan Clark Audio out.

"Mr. Speakers" gave me my first laugh of the day. No wonder they changed the name :D
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I just noticed that there is a model Grado GW100 Wireless! Did anyone here try them?

I love my PS500e with Grado amp but.. you know.. the wire.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

I have had the AKG Q701 Quicy Jones edition for many years. They have come down in price over the years and are superb value for money, approx £150.

They do take a bit to drive, and are really for indoor use only but they are fantastic in most areas and I find them musical, however I havent had much to compare against, so no doubt not the last word in musicality.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Are Beyerdynamics and/or Sennheiser tuneful - generally speaking?

More specifically I am looking at Beyerdynamics Lagoon and Sennheiser Momentum 3.

Usually, I'd just go to a store and try them but no physical store here has both.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Paaf wrote: 2020-10-17 15:59 Are Beyerdynamics and/or Sennheiser tuneful - generally speaking?
More specifically I am looking at Beyerdynamics Lagoon and Sennheiser Momentum 3.
I found the Beyerdynamic T5p very good, when I compared them to lots of different headphones a few years back, but not quite as good as my Grados. Quite a bit better than the Sennheiser HD800 though. The T5p has been replaced by the T5 now, which I haven't heard. I liked the first and second versions of the Momentums in their price range, but haven't heard the current Momentum 3's.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I found this video interesting from a Tune perspective - despite the silliness in the video. It lets us compare Fostex TH900, Sony Z1R, Sony F1, Beyer T1, HD800. Not a song I'd select myself but..

I was really surprised by which ones I thought was best, so I'd be curious what you guys think, if you feel like it.

https://youtu.be/DHLFZQzRSAg?t=264
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

That was fun Paaf! Great find.

I like the Sony Z1R and actually also the Sony F1 even though some of the sound disappear because of the different construction but I am not a headphone man so just my personal pick.

The Sony F1 I find to be the easiest to make me forget the sound and “enjoy” the music..........

I have no experience with headphones so my opinion rely only on the video.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Just listened to more headphones in this video:

https://youtu.be/z0NfB-5Ck_0

I really like the way the old Sony CD 1700 play music.
Playing cd’s…………
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Nice! I also liked Sony 1700. My favorite in the first clip is HD800. The music springs to "life".

Surprising because usually I find Sennheiser a little dull.. like the HD6xx in your clip, or my own ancient HD520 (athough they improved remarkably with a headphone amp "O2" compared to the output from Magik DS-i, and the O2 isn't even designed for Tune.)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I did not like the 6XX either. I found the HD 800 to be entertaining but a little too much for me. :-)

I could not help but smile at the comments about the 6XX being close to the ideal sound from headphones.
I know what “they” (read audiophiles) are hinting at. That slight seperation that leaves everything clear but what “they” do not have ears for is the cracks this cause not keeping the music signal fully together anymore (IMHO of course).
Playing cd’s…………
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

That test method works surprisingly well. There were a few outliers that may have been unfairly punished by a poor fit on this particular test rig, but mostly it comes across as fair.

"hifi" is sometimes almost derogatory on these pages, but in the true sense of the term I can't overlook that the Sony F1 simply misses out too much of the song, i.e. not quite enough fidelity for me.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Just found another giant killer for 119 € (on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.it/AKG-K371-Casques- ... B07T78PX8X

M.