Artikulats - are they good or bad?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Artikulats - are they good or bad?

Post by Music Lover »

Read SO many comments on various forums re Artikulats over the years.
On topica it was a discussion a few days ago about the "undefined bass"...
And now 2 on this forum tried 350 and are happy with Keltiks. :shock:
poppop wrote:Like you I had 350's for about 6 months and feel more comfortable with the keltiks - certainly for the time being..
Given the price they should be SUPER.
When Komri was released wasn't it also a lukewarm responce? (more positive comments nowadays)
But, Akurate 242/212 got positive comments from day one!

How do you rate Artikulat from a tune dem perspective compared with Keltik, Akurate, Komri?
And how do you rate the sound?
It's all about musical understanding!
poppop

Post by poppop »

ML,

Let me start by saying that over the last 10-15 years I have owned a fair number of the Linn speaker range - keilidh, ninka, 242, artikulat.
In truth I could have stayed with them all and enjoyed them. Im not syaing it wouldnt be difficult to hear the difference between kelidhs and 350's! BUT I really think all present music in a way that I find enjoyable.

However, I personally start to find it difficult to start distinguishing between 242's fully active, 350A's, fully active keltiks etc. NOT that you cant hear differences just the mix of colours changes eg with the keltiks it has taken me a long time to adjust to the loss of the array, I have found difficulty in getting used to a normal 3 way design again. I certainly can never subscribe to the view of some who describe a particular Linn speaker as rubbish compared with another.

To try and be more specific about what I "believe" Im hearing with the keltiks compared to the 350's. Certainly at the minute when sitting listening I just find them "better". Why.
As far as I undestand the tune dem principle - the ability to follow a particular element/tune in the music(?) - bass lines stop /finish more clearly, its easier to follow complete lines? You know when listening to some pieces of music the bass line gets lost(?) I am finding it easier to follow for longer periods and more distinctly.

There may be other reasons - ive taken a long time to try and find the best position for the Keltiks(because I had read so much about how difficult they are to make sound acceptable), as I believed i did with the 350's. May be the 350's were not ideal for the room - 9m x 5m.
As Ive said on another thread the influence of the klimax crossovers with the keltiks must be a substantial part of the picture.

Words aside, at the minute, I would be far more likely to try and find money to buy a klimax DS than I would to rush to change to other speakers - at the end of the day thats the REAL test!

Steve.
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

I've heard 350As in both a 2-channel and 5.1 setup. In both applications they are simply stunning. None of the exaggerated bass that others have reported. They are stunningly revealing and a poor recording, or poor source/control, will be highlighted.
LP12/Lingo/Ittok/Klyde
Uni1.1 / 5103 / 2250->Espek / 2250->Ekwal / 5105-> Katan
barend

Artikulates

Post by barend »

KingClifton wrote:I've heard 350As in both a 2-channel and 5.1 setup. In both applications they are simply stunning. None of the exaggerated bass that others have reported. They are stunningly revealing and a poor recording, or poor source/control, will be highlighted.
Never heard the Artikulates, but they would certainly be my ultimate choice if I hadn't such a smallish listening place...they also take the hazard out of the equation for being active (managed to blow up 4 Chakras recently) and housing all the finals.
I have Akurates, but they really came to life after Aktivating them...before they were a bit low on bass.
I still have a pair of subs to support the lowest end, suppose I would do without them if I had Artikulates! :D
Now I am writing this, would a 3.5x5m listening spot be too small for the Artikulates?
Actually it's a difficult room - left windows and right open halfway to rest of the living- with many diifcult to control bass modes.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Hi Barend! :mrgreen:

I've used many big speakers in small rooms (much smaller than yours) and it's NO issue at all!

I hear "to big speakers for this small room" all the time.
Where is that comming from?
Headphones can produce deep bass can't they 8)
barend

Post by barend »

Music Lover wrote:Hi Barend! :mrgreen:

I've used many big speakers in small rooms (much smaller than yours) and it's NO issue at all!

I hear "to big speakers for this small room" all the time.
Where is that comming from?
Headphones can produce deep bass can't they 8)
You're right, my subs produce 25Hz in my listening quarters...
Had a dealer here once (not a Linn dealer :mrgreen: ) who advised bookshelf speakers and said 5.1 would not work- glad I did not go for that...now I'm a happy camper with my heap of Chakra amps and 5.1 Akurate set...
But SOMEDAY I will launch a WAF campaign for Akurates (must have something to dream of)- suppose they're not that horribly expensive considering the finals are free... :mrgreen: :wink:
I'm a big classical SACD surround lover... :D
Urs

my entry to LINN - active Artikulats 350A

Post by Urs »

Dear Colleagues,

As new member to this forum, and also to LINN, here just a few words of introduction:

I listen mainly to classical music, including opera, also some jazz and folk.
I'm sort of a "cross-breed", as the heart of my system (CD and pre-amp) is NAIM, and my entry to LINN are the active Artikulats 350A.
Other sources include a REVOX, and a Magnum Dynalab Tuner, and a REVOX Turntable.

After some “searching for the holy grail of HIFI" I came to the conclusion that ACTIVE speakers is my way to good music, and the Artikulats replaced some Wilson Benesch ACT2 speakers and a NAIM 300 Power amp.

I’m not familiar with the rest of the LINN range; hence my experience is entirely based on this combination of NAIM and the Artikulats.

Why the active Artikulats ? Well, it’s an active integrated system, it has a reasonably high WAF (I confess; I also prefer nice looking equipment, to say a studio monitor) AND unlike some other active speakers, they some allow channel-wise room adjustments, which I occasionally apply
For me, the most critical aspect is the musical and natural presentation of voices (operas, choruses, etc) and the Artikulats are surely excelling in this department.

Now to the comment / query concerning bass:
Yes, I had problems with bass. My room - the living & dining room, of some 30 to 35 m2, - is actually highly unsuitable for high-end music reproduction, and nevertheless I try to get the best under these sub-optimal conditions, as I have no alternatives.

The Artikulats sounded excellent right from start, but bass was still not fully to my likings.
From an other forum-source, I read, that the feet (a 4 metal support cross-construction) could possibly be a weakness. Furthermore, I never managed to place the Artikulats properly: due to a problem with my wooden floor, one leg was always somewhat wobbly – whatever I tried; this of course was exacerbated with the critical bass response of my room.

My rather unorthodox solution: I custom-made a piece of granite, with only 3 legs and bolted this directly under the Artikulats: No more wobbly feet !!---and bass improved, and even the overall musical presentation was again slightly more transparent.
Side effect: my 3-leg granite support looks rather elegant., too.

Regards

Urs,
Switzerland

@Music Lover: in which forums did you read this about “undefined bass “ ?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: my entry to LINN - active Artikulats 350A

Post by Music Lover »

Urs wrote:@Music Lover: in which forums did you read this about “undefined bass “ ?
On topica forum