Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Exakt

Post by beck »

Music Lover wrote: 2020-07-10 23:50
Spannko wrote:
beck wrote: .If Linn has truely left the concept of tune dem and source first behind I fear they will sooner or later run out of rope (I do not believe they have).
Whether Linn have abandoned Tune Dem, or not, isn’t an easy question to answer.
Actually it’s easy to answer. They removed TD from their homepage.
After some years they reinserted the method, but in a revised ”hifi” verson.
That makes perfect sense! They changed it to follow the sound of their new equipment.

Thank you Music Lover. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Music Lover wrote: 2020-07-10 23:50
Spannko wrote: 2020-07-07 22:34
beck wrote: 2020-07-07 16:50.If Linn has truely left the concept of tune dem and source first behind I fear they will sooner or later run out of rope (I do not believe they have).
Whether Linn have abandoned Tune Dem, or not, isn’t an easy question to answer.
Actually it’s easy to answer. They removed TD from their homepage.
After some years they reinserted the method, but in a revised ”hifi” verson.
I’m not convinced ML. Linns description of Tune Dem appears to be the same as it’s ever been. Linn could have permanently removed any reference to Tune Dem from their web site, but still use it for the design of their products. Or vice versa. What their marketing department tries to convince us of means nothing.

I’m basing my thoughts on what I hear, rather than what Linn say.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Some interesting thoughts that I felt I might comment on as both a music lover (most important) and also a Linn dealer.

First off I have to say that in general Linn upgrades both are and are not optional. They are all optional in the sense that if you have existing equipment it is up to you whether you make the change or not. They are not optional in that going forward the change that Linn feels is better is implemented in all new product. This is far from unique to the Karousel as you certainly can't order a KDS(M) or ADS(M) without Katalyst. This really is the only sensible way to go forward as it would be crazy and expensive to build KDS/0, KDS/1, KDS/2 and KDS/3 all at the same time in case somebody prefers a particular version. This only creates a problem when the "upgrade" is a step backward, which has been very rare with turntable and DS upgrades.

I, too, have been saddened, as both a music listener and as a dealer, that Linn have been abandoning analog electronics and passive speakers step by step. As a previous owner of the KK from the very beginning, and having heard it musically outperform several more expensive competitors, I was disappointed in seeing them discontinue it along with the other analog preamps and integrated amp. I am not a fan of DVC and was hoping that they would come out with a KK/3 and give Fredrik some competition. But it seems that the move to more digital electronics, as exemplified by the Selekt and Series 3 with their digital power amps, is likely to continue.

I feel similar about the speakers more from a dealer standpoint. Linn now has nothing but Exakt systems above the Majik speaker level. (They still make the Klimax 350 in passive version, but that is obviously to help sell Klimax Solos.) So in the US, passive speakers end at $3000 a pair. Then you get into the Series 5 where a system starts at $14,800 - a big jump from the $5995 for a Majik DSM/140 system. The bigger problem is that you can't make the kind of stepwise upgrades you could in the older systems by replacing one piece at a time as Exakt requires buying into that whole ecosystem. That system is also a more closed proposition that the open system approach of the LP12 which allows you to upgrade piece by piece as you desire. So you can't use Exakt speakers with any other electronics, nor with older Linn equipment, making it much more difficult to sell a Linn speaker.

As mentioned, it is good that we have alternatives, but it is a shame that a company that once represented a big part of our business from top to modest level (think a Classik Music and Katans or Ninkas, which we sold tons of) has now become a lesser player.
u252agz wrote: 2020-07-08 09:08 Unfortunately some of these upgrades are not optional ( Karousel being one example)and what is the 'best thing since sliced bread' for the many becomes a retrograde step musically for the few.

There is also a definite move to removing many of the options for analogue preamp/'single wire passive' people like me. This started off with preamps but we seem to be losing speakers as well.

At least they did a U turn with their KDS, so credit where it is due.

I suppose Linn have to look at profitability and one cannot be too critical if the market leads them firmly to pastures less musical.

We are however fortunate in the industry that we have so much choice and there are still great products out their, including many Linn ones.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Thomas, what are your thoughts in relation to a system using an Exaktbox? I understand absolutely the view you provide in terms of the integrated Exakt systems - one of which I have just bought, and I agree with what you write about there being likely some difficulty selling Exakt speakers should one decide in the future to upgrade - but I get the impression that the Exaktbox pathway is more open to gradual upgrades and customised systems. Cheers, Paul
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

PaulC wrote: 2020-07-11 18:04 Thomas, what are your thoughts in relation to a system using an Exaktbox? I understand absolutely the view you provide in terms of the integrated Exakt systems - one of which I have just bought, and I agree with what you write about there being likely some difficulty selling Exakt speakers should one decide in the future to upgrade - but I get the impression that the Exaktbox pathway is more open to gradual upgrades and customised systems. Cheers, Paul
Indeed. Exaktbox can be considered as an externalised DSM DAC. If you think of a DSM and an Exaktbox as a 2-box DSM, the idea of "lock-in" becomes less of a perceived issue. With this combination you can add any manufacturer's sources and/or power amps. Plus a number of non-Linn speakers and theoretically, a large number of speaker options (albeit with some hassle!).

But it is much less obvious than before. The upgrade process is complicated and Linn's inability to market and explain Exaktbox is bafflingly poor.

I agree with Thomas that Linn isn't as good as it once was at offering a clear path for the customer to upgrade over time and they desperately need a way to get more people to be buying into Majik to be on the ladder. Perhaps the upcoming Majik DSM will be a new start in that area.

I also agree that ditching the Akurate level passive speakers and the KK were strange marketing decisions, but really those sorts of decisions from Linn should no longer be surprising us!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2020-07-23 18:02
Perhaps the upcoming Majik DSM will be a new start in that area.
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/registe ... KA34aQbAMw