Your Linn's idea...

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bbyte

Your Linn's idea...

Post by bbyte »

This topic is for your thoughts about future Linn products, changes to current line and simmilar ideas.

My ideas:
Linn Headik?
Headphone amplifiler - price circa 490 GBP
(3 inputs, xlr option, half linn av width)

Linn Klimax LP
MC Preamplifiler, Klimax stylling, better than Linto

Linn Klimax PS
LP Power Supply, Klimax stylling, better than Lingo

Linn Majik LP
Single AV box, MC/MM phono preamplifiler, power supply
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Here's another one:

LINN Akurate DS

A trickle down product from Klimax DS without the multiroom stuff (from Akurate Music Server). Performance as good as Akurate CD or better... Lovely! :D
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

I'd like a cross between the Klimax Kontrol and Exotik. I have no need/concern for video switching, I just want the ultimate audio performance. The Kisto is as close as you can get, but still does video switching - composite/S-Video/component, which is now all but superseded.

And a Klimax Linto would be good (it's been rumored for years) - purely so I'd be able to pick up a traded-in Linto at a good price.
LP12/Lingo/Ittok/Klyde
Uni1.1 / 5103 / 2250->Espek / 2250->Ekwal / 5105-> Katan
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

Over on the other end of the product line....

I'd be very interested in a sort of reversed-Majik Integrated: instead of an integrated amp, I'd like an integrated CD player + 2 channel preamp, ideally one combining the Majik CD and the Majik Kontrol, but at a much lower pricepoint than the Unidisk SC.

(I guess this is sort of a Majik Classik?) :D

For me (a Classik Music owner), a Majik Classik is financially more appealing than is the just-introduced Majik-Integrated (preamp + amp): if I'm going to splurge on a new Linn product, I'd like the money to go towards upgrading my source & control. Used Linn amps are plentiful on eBay and Audiogon, and with a Majik Classik in the apartment I could then spend the next few years going up the amplifier chain and perhaps trying Aktiv.

But then again, people like me are probably a fairly small market niche!

-C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I've moved to Majik System from Classik Music and it made a huge sonic difference. Also in price.

The good thing is new integrated as it can be turned aktiv (slot for 2 cards) instead of buying second-hand amps and then searching for aktiv cards... And you've got a great source - Majik CD. :D
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

Hello bbyte!

I'm glad to hear the Majik is such a step up -- gives me something to look forward to. :D Congratulations on your new system, and I hope it's giving you many hours of listening pleasure!!

It sounds like you've seen much more of the Majik-I than I have! Is there a link with info on it? Or have you garnered info from a dealer or rep? Please tell us more about it, as I've seen very little information thus far (thank you!).

As for myself: I appreciate your point about the quality of the Majik CD -- and the Aktiv option on the new Integrated is really nice! -- but I think I'd still rather have an [integrated CD player + preamp] as opposed to [preamp + amp], if the pricing is in line with what the Majik line has shown thus far:

In the U.S., a Majik CD and a Majik Kontrol are both in the $3000-3500 range, with the Majik 2100 considerably less at ~$2350. Hence an integrated amp "saves" a person from having to purchase what turns out to be the least costly component (the amp). Conversely, I'd hope that an integrated Player + Preamp could save a good deal more money, not least because tightly integrating the Source + Control might allow the designers to custom tailor the two pieces specifically for each other, instead of having to make each component sufficiently good to work with arbitrary generalized components. (Or at least that's the hope!)

To put some numbers to the argument: if the Majik-I comes in at somewhere near $4000 (a completely wild guess that presumes we'll get half of a 2100 "for free"), then the Majik-I plus Majik CD would come to near ~$7500. That's not very different from the price of a UniSC plus Majik 2100 (at ~$7700). Plus going Aktiv later on would entail a 3-box system, which for myself is a bit of a negative.

Conversely, if a hypothetical Majik-SC could be priced well below a Unidisk SC (which would at least seem plausible, given that the former wouldn't need the latter's video, DVD-A, SACD, and multichannel functions), then the economics look more attractive. Assuming (perhaps wistfully!) that the $5500 (US) UniSC could be brought down to $4500 in a Majik-SC, then the base Majik-SC + Majik 2100 would start at a thousand less than the Majik-CD + Majik-I. Moreover (and going to the original point): used amplification is very cost-effective on eBay and very easy to buy & sell -- so I could start humbly with an LK140 in place of the 2100, and work up via Klout, or AV5125, or demo Chakra x100 amps. Plus even the final Aktiv solution can still be two-box (without wasting any channels), which for me is a plus.

Anyway, since I only understand myself (i.e., I'm relatively new to the audiophile world, and don't have a good sense of other people's needs), I'd be curious to hear why most customers would prefer an integrated amp over a "Majik SC"-style player+preamp: presumably there are clear advantages to the integrated amp (why else would they be so plentiful, and SC-style products so much less common?), and it'd be fun to hear what those are. Thanks very much in advance, and hope you're having a beautiful autumn in Poland!

-C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Linn doesn't add Majik-I to product line-up at their official website yet, but I have news about it's official price - about 1590 GBP (about 9500 our polish zlotys - PLN). So it's a lower than Majik K (1750 GBP) and not to high above Majik 2100 pricetag (1400 GBP). :D

It has a phono MM preamplifiler, upgradable to module from Majik/Akurate Kontrol - MM & MC (it is so good, that it can be sold alone with 800 GBP price tag as said one of our, polish hifi critics).

It has two slots for aktiv cards (same as chakra amps), it has also 100W per channel Chakra power amps (the same as M2100?), 6 inputs preamplifiler with front headphone out (3,5mm) and also aux input for other sources (ipod?, oh god).

It looks like Majik Kontrol but with top air-ventilation like in Majik power amplifiler range.

We have in Warsaw 18'C and two days before it was about 24'C. Nights are colder, but the weather is better than in UK. Maybe not in winter...
Summer was too hot for me - sometimes nearly 34'C in sunlight.

A photo from Linn website, not a good one - poor image quality, but a really nice setup.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hello All - neat idea for a thread.

I like the headphone amp idea but I'm not sure about the name. How about the Kanticle or perhaps the Kranium?

I agree with most of the other ideas (Klimax Linto, Klimax Lingo, Majik Linto - or Akurate, and Akurate DS) but I feel these are all being worked on - along with a Majik DS.

I'd like to see what suggestions people have for things that don't seem to be in Linn's future like the headphone amp. I'll start out with a suggestion or two.

An updated LP12 Basik.
Isn't it about time Linn came out with a more basic LP12? Vinyl sales and turntable sales are up, Rega and others are churning out turntables like they are going out of style, and yet it costs over $6500US to get into the most basic LP12. There are two places Linn could make significant reductions in the price of the LP12 and yet still keep the main components of the table the same: the power supply and the tonearm. If Rega, Heed, ProJect and others can make a simple, speed switcheable, 50Hz electronic motor controller for around $300 - $350 why can't Linn. Make a simplified, 2 speed Valhalla or similar, put it in a small box with the same connector as the Lingo and sell it with the Lingo board, switch and cable for under $500 and you've knocked over $1300 off the price. Bring back the Basik tonearm or something similar (or even have Rega make a custom RB300 with a standard Linn mount and a cable that exits the base in the right direction) and sell it for $300 to $500 and you've reduced the price of the table by another $800 to $1000US!

If Linn would do this you would have an LP12 including the Trampolin2 that could sell for under $4500US with an Adikt on it! Best of all it would use all the standard LP12 mechanical parts so upgrading would be simple and logical. Upgrading the power supply would just be a matter of unplugging one and plugging in the other. Upgrading the arm would be straightforward and upgrading to the Keel would be the same as it is now. Give me this table and our LP12 sales would triple easily.

Simplified loudspeakers.
I haven't heard them yet so I won't say anything bad about the Majik 140 but I want to see something simpler and less expensive. This 2k array thing just doesn't make sense for an entry level speaker - too complex and too expensive to upgrade to Aktiv. Just give me a nice updated two way series to replace the Ninka, Trikan and Katan at a touch lower prices and I'd be happy.

Furniture??
I know this is a long shot and Linn doesn't seem to be interested in this business. But there are definite differences in the sound of Linn components on different surfaces/racks. Maybe this isn't an area that Linn feels like committing R&D money to but you'd think they have the expertise to determine what comination of materials makes their gear sound the best. Even if they farmed out the construction to another company it would be nice to know that you're getting the best out of your equipment - as long as we are, no need for another Naim Fraim!

Majik Tuner
Can't we please have a good FM/AM tuner for under $1000? It is hard to justify $1895 for the junk on the air in a lot of the US. And on a similar vein how about the ability to listen to internet radio over the Klimax DS, etc.? There are a ton of stations out there which may not have the highest bit rate but should still benefit from being decoded by Linn circuitry. Slim Devices can do it for $299 why not Linn for $18,500?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ceilidh,
bbyte is right, the Majik Integrated is going to sell for $2975US which really kills your calculations/assumptions. This means that it would run $6475 for the Majik CD/Majik-I combination - which would be under the price of your projected Majik Music/2100 combination. And it would be putting the concentration where it belongs in getting the best out of the CD player.

Also, as bbyte notes, since it is a Chakra amp with the same specs as the 2100 and the ability to handle Aktiv cards it should allow you to go Aktiv in combination with x100 series amps and still keep the box count down to three. Since the new Majik 140 speakers are reputedly 4 way boxes you will likely need 8 channels of amplification to go Aktiv, this dovetails rather nicely with a Majik-I and a Majik 6100 don't you think?
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

ThomasOK wrote: I like the headphone amp idea but I'm not sure about the name. How about the Kanticle or perhaps the Kranium?
I bought the naim headphone amp, but only If there was a Linn solutions I would buy it. Should be more synergic and more tunefull.
ThomasOK wrote: I agree with most of the other ideas (Klimax Linto, Klimax Lingo, Majik Linto - or Akurate, and Akurate DS) but I feel these are all being worked on - along with a Majik DS.
I don't know how many are FLAC-philes but other DS wouldn't be so nessesary as other products. Maybe some better navigation system?
ThomasOK wrote: An updated LP12 Basik.
Isn't it about time Linn came out with a more basic LP12? Vinyl sales and turntable sales are up, Rega and others are churning out turntables like they are going out of style, and yet it costs over $6500US to get into the most basic LP12. There are two places Linn could make significant reductions in the price of the LP12 and yet still keep the main components of the table the same: the power supply and the tonearm. If Rega, Heed, ProJect and others can make a simple, speed switcheable, 50Hz electronic motor controller for around $300 - $350 why can't Linn. Make a simplified, 2 speed Valhalla or similar, put it in a small box with the same connector as the Lingo and sell it with the Lingo board, switch and cable for under $500 and you've knocked over $1300 off the price. Bring back the Basik tonearm or something similar (or even have Rega make a custom RB300 with a standard Linn mount and a cable that exits the base in the right direction) and sell it for $300 to $500 and you've reduced the price of the table by another $800 to $1000US!
Oh. YES! I'll love to but Linn turntable in reasonable price. Even LP12 with Akito/Adikt is a bit pricey with the Majik System. I know that is superb, but maybe something in Majik price-range?
ThomasOK wrote: Simplified loudspeakers.
I haven't heard them yet so I won't say anything bad about the Majik 140 but I want to see something simpler and less expensive. This 2k array thing just doesn't make sense for an entry level speaker - too complex and too expensive to upgrade to Aktiv. Just give me a nice updated two way series to replace the Ninka, Trikan and Katan at a touch lower prices and I'd be happy.
Yes and no. The Array technology is very nice indeed, but making speakers aktiv is problematic - many amps, much higher prices than LK amps. Yes because you can drive them aktiv in stages (first bass, then middle, then treble) not like in katan/ninka - passive / aktiv only. I love my Katan and the only thing I can improve it is buying Klimax Tunebox/Twin combo and my dream CD12.
ThomasOK wrote:Furniture??
I know this is a long shot and Linn doesn't seem to be interested in this business. But there are definite differences in the sound of Linn components on different surfaces/racks. Maybe this isn't an area that Linn feels like committing R&D money to but you'd think they have the expertise to determine what comination of materials makes their gear sound the best. Even if they farmed out the construction to another company it would be nice to know that you're getting the best out of your equipment - as long as we are, no need for another Naim Fraim!
Maybe something like Quadraspire, but under Linn name and just customized width and height. Just glass and alluminium or glass and wood or simply just wood. Naim Fraim is beautiful, but cost as much as upgrading to better source...
ThomasOK wrote:Majik Tuner
Can't we please have a good FM/AM tuner for under $1000? It is hard to justify $1895 for the junk on the air in a lot of the US. And on a similar vein how about the ability to listen to internet radio over the Klimax DS, etc.? There are a ton of stations out there which may not have the highest bit rate but should still benefit from being decoded by Linn circuitry. Slim Devices can do it for $299 why not Linn for $18,500?
Akurate Tuner is 1100 GBP so maybe something 550 GBP? Internet radio is a good thing - but the overall quality is very poor, even those higher bit-rates radios. I've plugged Apple AirPort Express to power outlet, configured wifi on my iMac and I could listen to internet radio on my system. It's connected with minijack-rca cable, it can be also sending digital to dac.

My dealer also always says, that he most need some good radio tuner for knekt installations. Not just Pekin (discontinued) but something that could be like other custom installation linn products. Just 2, 3 or more radio tuners in one box. Without display, just to connect to multiroom.
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

bbyte wrote:Linn doesn't add Majik-I to product line-up at their official website yet, but I have news about it's official price - about 1590 GBP (about 9500 our polish zlotys - PLN). So it's a lower than Majik K (1750 GBP) and not to high above Majik 2100 pricetag (1400 GBP). :D

.....it has also 100W per channel Chakra power amps (the same as M2100?)....
ThomasOK wrote: Ceilidh,
bbyte is right, the Majik Integrated is going to sell for $2975US which really kills your calculations/assumptions. This means that it would run $6475 for the Majik CD/Majik-I combination - which would be under the price of your projected Majik Music/2100 combination. And it would be putting the concentration where it belongs in getting the best out of the CD player.

Also, as bbyte notes, since it is a Chakra amp with the same specs as the 2100 and the ability to handle Aktiv cards it should allow you to go Aktiv in combination with x100 series amps and still keep the box count down to three. Since the new Majik 140 speakers are reputedly 4 way boxes you will likely need 8 channels of amplification to go Aktiv, this dovetails rather nicely with a Majik-I and a Majik 6100 don't you think?
Thank you bbyte & Thomas!

Yes, yes, that changes everything! The pricing you report is very exciting -- even if the Majik-CD / Majik-I sound quality is "only" that of the UniSC! (And given what the Topica folks say about the Majik Kontrol ("much better than the SC preamp-section") and what Stereophile has written about the Majik-CD (slightly better than the SC CD-section), perhaps the new Majik combo might even sound significantly better?....)

(I'd still prefer 2-box to 3-box, but it's beginning to seem like Aktiv 2-box won't be a future option for me regardless, if I ever upgrade from my Ninkas....)

Would you two be able to comment on the expected sound quality? e.g., Will the Majik-I be anywhere near the performance of the Majik-Kontrol? And for that matter, would you have any thoughts on how the Majik system in general compares to the Unidisk SC on ordinary CDs? (My parents have a UniSC + Chakra, so that's a handy reference for me.)

Thank you again for the great news! I think my future-system daydreams have changed a little now. :D
bbyte wrote:We have in Warsaw 18'C and two days before it was about 24'C. Nights are colder, but the weather is better than in UK. Maybe not in winter...
Summer was too hot for me - sometimes nearly 34'C in sunlight.
P.S. -- bbyte, it took me a moment to convert things to Fahrenheit, but it sounds like Warsaw is similar to Boston (at least in temperature -- I'm sure Warsaw must have much more in architectural beauty and European charm!). We're in the last bits of summer now -- some of the early trees have already begun turning color, and in a week or two we should be in full Fall foliage here. Hope you're getting some color out there too!
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

The Majik CD sounds better than SC.
I've compared the two on CD & SACD. On CD Majik is more tuneful and provides more data. Background is also darker. SC is a perfect thing but I don't need the video section or multichannel sound processing. Even the quality of SACD and DVD-A is not a key for me - most of my collection is CD-only and It's hard to buy SACD. Akurate sounds better than both, but is in other price range.

Last 3 or 4 years was much warmer than normaly. We can even have winegrapes plant in a garden... Better to sit in home, turn on airconditioning and listen to music... I can work @ home, while I'm a webmaster and webdesigner. Instead of siting in a car in early morning traffic jam, I can listen to music...

Another idea:
Some smart wifi network to knekt your home instead of normal wires. But only, If the sound woudn't be sacrificed...
TMV

Post by TMV »

Majik Music
CD/Radio/Ethernet(USB)/SPDIF/MM/N x Analog interface
2xpoweramp with possibility to use the amps in active speakers.

Majik Movie
CD/DVD/Blu-ray/Radio/Ethernet(USB)/SPDIF/MM/N x Analog interface
HDMI output (scaling upp to full HD)
5xpoweramp with possibility to use the amps in active speakers.

Valhalla II with 33/45 rpm and improved performance

K1/2/3/4/5 Discrete speaker wires.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

A replacement for Klimax Solo!

The Solo was introduced allmost ten yeas ago now, and Linn should really be able to construct someting better by now, don´t you think?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Azazello wrote:A replacement for Klimax Solo!

The Solo was introduced allmost ten yeas ago now, and Linn should really be able to construct someting better by now, don´t you think?
If they can actually make something better, and I'm not sure analog technology has changed enough to make much improvement possible, I certainly hope they make it retrofittable.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

TMV wrote: K1/2/3/4/5 Discrete speaker wires.
Remember that there are still K10 cables in Linn offer.

Updated Klimax will be a good thing, but what should it be? Bigger, better or just new? There was some upgrades to klimax done after premiere some years ago.

The best stereo system is just K. DS, K. Kontrol, K. 500 Solo, K. Tunebox & Komri... still the best. :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

bbyte wrote:The best stereo system is just K. DS, K. Kontrol, K. 500 Solo, K. Tunebox & Komri... still the best. :)
It isn't the best unless it has an LP12 in front of it!
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

My mistake... of course a keeled LP12...

There was nice article title for linn system in stereophile:
"Can you handle five klimaxes in a single evening?"

Maybe new Classik LP?
instead of Basik, Axis etc.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

bbyte wrote:There was nice article title for linn system in stereophile:
"Can you handle five klimaxes in a single evening?"
:mrgreen:

I'm for sure would give it a try in my loving (sorry living) room :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
TMV

Post by TMV »

bbyte wrote:
TMV wrote: K1/2/3/4/5 Discrete speaker wires.
Remember that there are still K10 cables in Linn offer.
Yes, you are right! They are ok for single-wire but for 4-way active Majik 140s 4xK10 or 2xK400 isn't so nice. Even a new K800 would be way too large....for me anyway.

Oh, and I forgot the Klimax Music/Movie.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I forgot about the speaker wires to aktivate 140, but what about the 242?

Maybe you're right, but it isn't a bad option to glue together the K400's...
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Komrik
like komri, but with one aktiv servo bass driver. standmount classic british monitor. performance better than A320A and price about 22k GBP.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

bbyte wrote:Komrik
like komri, but with one aktiv servo bass driver. standmount classic british monitor. performance better than A320A and price about 22k GBP.
They will make one for you if you ask, although I can't guarantee the cost. This falls under their little-known custom manufacturing. They will make any speaker for you in a custom finish - for a price! They will and have also made custom versions of speakers - I recall seeing photos of a Komri installation that included a built-in Komri center that was just the 4K array, probably augmented by hidden subs.

Linn have also been known to make the components in custom colors on request.
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

First I must win the lottery. ;)

We have some rumors about new DS sources, so maybe there will be some other products from our wishlist? :wink:
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

What about something like that?

click on image, to zoom.