Majik 140 Loudspeakers, successor of Ninka

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Majik 140 Loudspeakers, successor of Ninka

Post by sommerfee »

I do not understand a single word but I've found this about the Ninka and the upcoming Majik 140:

http://www.tonlaget.com/

"Men lite nytt i korthet:

Linn Ninka högtalarna utgår 28 September. En efterföljare Majik 140 kommer att kosta lite mer. Men blir troligtvis ännu bättre. Mer info snart hoppas vi. Vi hoppas också snart kunna spela på Linns nya digitala programmkälla - Klimax DS. Men än så länge bara lite mer info på kundzonen."

Can please someone translate that? And does anybody knows what will happen to the Katan and especially when?

Axel
monkeydevil

Re: Majik 140 Loudspeakers, successor of Ninka

Post by monkeydevil »

sommerfee wrote:"Men lite nytt i korthet:

Linn Ninka högtalarna utgår 28 September. En efterföljare Majik 140 kommer att kosta lite mer. Men blir troligtvis ännu bättre. Mer info snart hoppas vi......."

Can please someone translate that? And does anybody knows what will happen to the Katan and especially when?

Axel
Translation:
Some short news:
Linn Nika Speakers are discontinued the 28th of September. The successor Majik 140 will cost a little bit more. But probably they will be even better. More info soon, we hope..."
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

More pictures (also from Klimax DS inside):

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/ ... 5/ina1.htm
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Not bad at all!
I think the 140 going to be VERY good.
It's all about musical understanding!
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

im aware one can use the fabric grilles...i gotta say,,the array is ugly...just looks out of place..too small perhaps..
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Majik 140 looks funny to me, Akurate 242 beautiful and Komri awesome!
(The only problem is how to fit huge speaker instead of my Katan...)
Ceilidh

Majik 140 brochure

Post by Ceilidh »

Hi Folks!

An Australian site has the Majik 140 brochure:

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/automation ... peaker.pdf

(in case anyone's interested....)

Cheers!
- C

P.S. [edit]: The specs look a bit curious (and I don't think ThomasOK is going to be very pleased)...

1) Despite being considerably bulkier than the Ninka (more than 2 inches deeper, and rectangular instead of trapezoidal), the Majik only goes down to 55 hz, regardless of whether it's passive or Aktiv. (By comparison, the Ninka's specced at 50 hz passive / 38 hz Aktiv, and even the little Katan goes to 60 hz Aktiv....)

2) There's no partial Aktiv option: the speaker will either be passive or else 4-way Aktiv(!). That's a lot of amplification to add if a person's to go Aktiv....

Could someone more knowledgeable / experienced perhaps comment on what's going on? e.g., Is the Majik 140 supposed to be used with a subwoofer? Will there be benefits to going passive bi-amp & tri-amp on the way to 4-way Aktiv? (Thanks in advance!)

Cheers again! - C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I've listened today to the fresh Majik 140 speakers.
Very nice indeed. There are better than Aktiv Ninka! :D

System: Akurate CD, Akurate Kontrol, Klimax Solos, Bi-wired with K400
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

bbyte wrote:I've listened today to the fresh Majik 140 speakers.
Very nice indeed. There are better than Aktiv Ninka! :D

System: Akurate CD, Akurate Kontrol, Klimax Solos, Bi-wired with K400
You mean the passive Majik 140 is better than active Ninkas? Were the Ninkas also played via Klimaxes?

I agree the Majik 140's sound great, but unfortunately I havent had the chance to make any real comparisons. I heard them passive in a complete Majik system setup. Would be nice to listen active with a great source - and compare with active Katans and Ninkas!
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I've listened to aktiv Ninka while the Majik was unpacked, then Majik 140 on Klimaxes (passive) and Ninka also on Klimaxes (passive).

There were positioned nearly straight, about 1 cm of toe-in. Room size: 25 square meters. In tune-dem terms and in hifi terms it was better, than previous speakers. I coudn't compare it with Akurate 242 but I think it was pretty simmilar.

The sound was more tuneful, recordings got more air and I wanted to listen to all my cd's all like a new. Great loudspeaker! And it was only passive version, so how will be the Akitv mode? :D

Maybe there will be some smaller version of 140 that will replace my Katan, if yes, I should buy another power amp like majik 2100 or just replace 4100 with 6100...
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

One more thing, It looks actually better than on the photos... :wink:
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

bbyte wrote:I've listened to aktiv Ninka while the Majik was unpacked, then Majik 140 on Klimaxes (passive) and Ninka also on Klimaxes (passive).
Hello bbyte!

Thank you for the news -- it sounds very encouraging for the 140s!

A quick question (please): do you recall what amplifier was used on the Aktiv Ninka? Thank you very much (and I'm glad to hear the speakers look better in person than they do in photos)!

Take care,
-C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

It was Majik 6100 and tri-amped aktiv Ninka. One thing, cherry majik looks like cherry birds eye... or maybe that's only when the veneer is absolutely new from Linn...
Ceilidh

more questions (Thank you!)

Post by Ceilidh »

Thank you for the quick reply, bbyte!

May I please ask you some more questions? (I'm sorry to keep asking, and I very much appreciate the information you've been posting!....) :D

1) If I understand you correctly, you found that:

(a) Best Sounding......[Majik 140 + passive Klimax]
(b) Next Best............[Ninka + Aktiv 6100]
(c) "Worst"...............[Ninka + passive Klimax]

Is the above ranking correct? (Thank you!)

2) If so, could you please comment on the relative "steps" between the three configurations? -- e.g., How noticeable were the "steps" between (a), (b), and (c); and which was the bigger step: (a) to (b), or (b) to (c)?

3) Did the Majik 140 have noticeably less bass than did the Ninka (Aktiv or passive)? Do you think the Majik 140 will need a subwoofer to go with it? (The spec sheet suggests the Majik should have less bass than the Ninka (especially an Aktiv Ninka) -- but perhaps spec sheets don't tell the whole tale?)

4) Regarding the appearance: that's neat about the birds-eye cherry(!) -- but how did you find the overall appearance (especially) with the 2K array on top? That's the part that looks "funny" to me in pictures -- hopefully it's a bit more discreet / attractive in real life!

Thank you very much again, bbyte! There seem to be many exciting developments at Linn these days, whether it be for the folks at the high end (e.g, Klimax DS), for the purists (e.g., Keel), and the entry level folks like myself (Majik 140, Majik-I).

(And as for me in particular: I'll have to upgrade my source before anything else, but it's always fun to daydream. And in my daydreamed future system, I've been thinking of someday going Aktiv with my Ninkas and some as-yet-unpurchased future amps -- but maybe a better (and simpler, less expensive) route would be to just run my Klout into a passive Majik 140!)

Hope you have a great weekend, bbyte, and hope winter hasn't set in yet over there in Poland (here in Boston, it's been amazingly mild and the leaves are only just turning -- but we're having the remnants of a hurricane coming up the coast, and it's blowing a pouring gale outside; nice weather to stay indoors and listen to music!!).

Cheers -- C
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: more questions (Thank you!)

Post by Lego »

Ceilidh wrote: And in my daydreamed future system, I've been thinking of someday going Aktiv with my Ninkas and some as-yet-unpurchased future amps -- but maybe a better (and simpler, less expensive) route would be to just run my Klout into a passive Majik 140!)
Bring back the days when good retailers wouldnt sell you the original Linn Kans unless you had a an LP12 Ittok;we are now living in Anorak city :?
I know that tune
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

Lego wrote:
Ceilidh wrote: And in my daydreamed future system, I've been thinking of someday going Aktiv with my Ninkas and some as-yet-unpurchased future amps -- but maybe a better (and simpler, less expensive) route would be to just run my Klout into a passive Majik 140!)
Bring back the days when good retailers wouldnt sell you the original Linn Kans unless you had a an LP12 Ittok;we are now living in Anorak city :?
Hello Lego,

Have I said something foolish? Please let me know if I have (and my apologies -- I'm still relatively new to all this!). In any case, I'm not sure what "Anorak city" is (Anoraks are the British fellows who stand on railway platforms looking for obscure trains, yes?), and I don't know anything about the Kans or the Ittok -- am I focusing too much on gear and not enough on music? Or are you saying something about Source First? Please explain (thank you!).

- C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

Ceilidh wrote: May I please ask you some more questions? (I'm sorry to keep asking, and I very much appreciate the information you've been posting!....) :D
No problem.
Ceilidh wrote: 1) If I understand you correctly, you found that:
(a) Best Sounding......[Majik 140 + passive Klimax]
(b) Next Best............[Ninka + Aktiv 6100]
(c) "Worst"...............[Ninka + passive Klimax]
Yes. In tune-dem rules. The biggest step was Ninka to Aktiv Ninka. But the Majik 140 is yet better than both configurations. Not as big as passive to aktiv but really noticiable.

I've haven't notice the "limited" bass. It was rather like on Ninka but have more weight. In my system there is Katan / Sizmik duet and there was not much missing from the low sounds. I think that Aktiv Majik 140 + Sizmik will be sonic overkill. Just real full-range sound dream... :)
Ceilidh wrote: 4) Regarding the appearance: that's neat about the birds-eye cherry(!) -- but how did you find the overall appearance (especially) with the 2K array on top? That's the part that looks "funny" to me in pictures -- hopefully it's a bit more discreet / attractive in real life!
It's ok. Or even more than ok. It's made of alluminium and doesn't look like metal array from Akurate or Artikulat, but in some Klimax-style finish. On photos both the speaker and array was strange or even ugly looking. It cuoldn't be more wrong. (Kill the photographer!) It looks nice, stylish yet classik (klassik?) and overwall very good. And it's so compact when looking at Akurate 242.

Ceilidh wrote: (And as for me in particular: I'll have to upgrade my source before anything else, but it's always fun to daydream. And in my daydreamed future system, I've been thinking of someday going Aktiv with my Ninkas and some as-yet-unpurchased future amps -- but maybe a better (and simpler, less expensive) route would be to just run my Klout into a passive Majik 140!)

Hope you have a great weekend, bbyte, and hope winter hasn't set in yet over there in Poland (here in Boston, it's been amazingly mild and the leaves are only just turning -- but we're having the remnants of a hurricane coming up the coast, and it's blowing a pouring gale outside; nice weather to stay indoors and listen to music!!).
Source first!
Kan was a Linn speaker made something from 80's to 90's and Ittok was tonearm for LP12 (before Ekos).

Days are quite cold (10'C), but it's november... There is no snow and I even want to see it this winter. There are some leafs on trees but there are falling. In Polish November = Listopad, the month when trees loses their leafs (lisc - leaf; list - *leafly; opad - rain, falling; listopad - falling leafs)
Nice weather for listening too... :)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Ceilidh wrote:
Lego wrote:
Have I said something foolish? Please let me know if I have (and my apologies -- I'm still relatively new to all this!). In any case, I'm not sure what "Anorak city" is (Anoraks are the British fellows who stand on railway platforms looking for obscure trains, yes?), and I don't know anything about the Kans or the Ittok -- am I focusing too much on gear and not enough on music? Or are you saying something about Source First? Please explain (thank you!).

- C
Sorry Ceilidh Its me, I'm not a big fan of loudspeakers, if only there was a way to do all this hi-fi thing without them,so when folks start talking about amp/speaker combos it leaves me a bit cold,especially when there is no mention of the source.
Those British fellows you mention are trainspotters who wear Anoraks,compared to us lot in this forum they can only dream about getting to this level 8)
I know that tune
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

bbyte wrote:
Ceilidh wrote: May I please ask you some more questions? (I'm sorry to keep asking, and I very much appreciate the information you've been posting!....) :D
No problem.....

....Days are quite cold (10'C), but it's november... There is no snow and I even want to see it this winter. There are some leafs on trees but there are falling. In Polish November = Listopad, the month when trees loses their leafs (lisc - leaf; list - *leafly; opad - rain, falling; listopad - falling leafs)
Nice weather for listening too... :)
Hello bbyte(!),

Just wanted to give you a belated "Thank you" for all the information (and not least for the Polish linguistics lesson -- you inspired me to look up "November" in Wikipedia, and alas our English name for it is just a corruption of the Latin word for "Nine" (as in "9th month" in the old Roman calendar); kind of interesting historically, but completely lacking the romance of the Polish "falling leaves" :D ). Anyway, my apologies for not thanking you sooner, but I've been inundated with (of all things) a Pride & Prejudice Dance at my church, which has meant 3 sleepless weeks of non-stop activity (e.g., my girlfriend and I went through the Keira Knightley ballroom scenes literally frame by frame trying to figure out the dances, then wound up rechoreographing most of them from scratch (the dances in the movie aren't "real", but turn out to be cut&paste edits of various random dance steps); then we had to teach the steps to everyone, beg/borrow a fancy hall on one of the university campuses, coordinate with the musicians, etc., etc. (one of my friends (violinist at New England Conservatory) listened to the movie and wrote out full orchestral scores, by ear -- just amazing!)). It all came together at the end, and it was extraordinary how much the girls (especially the students) in the congregation got into it (most of them made their own (gorgeous) historically-correct dresses, and they never stopped giggling the whole night). A lot of fun -- but I'm only now catching up on other things!

So once again, thank you for the report and clarification on the Majiks(!). I know it's supposed to not matter, but I'm really glad the speakers not only sound good, but look good too: when I showed the original Majik 140 photos to my Dad (who has Ninkas too), he laughed and said he'd never allow anything like that into the house; my girlfriend (rather sweetly) added that she really likes seeing my own Ninkas sitting here when she comes over to visit, and would be sad if I were to ever replace them with the Majiks (i.e., she didn't like the Majik 140 photos either). That sort of response from one's loved ones makes it tough for a fellow to daydream, and I'm happy to hear the Majiks look much better in real life. :D As for the bass -- I will certainly take your word for it, no question about that (goodness knows there's so much I don't yet understand with this stereo business), but I wish I knew how the Majik bass could have more weight than the Ninkas, and yet the "book specs" imply it being bass-shy. In any case I'm glad the bass is good!

We're going into Thanksgiving next week (and it's probably the nicest and purest of the American holidays -- there's nothing in the way of gifts, or cards, or anything commercial about it; people just go home to visit their families -- which is what I'll be doing). Hope you have a nice week with your own family too, and Happy Listopad to you!

-C
Ceilidh

Post by Ceilidh »

Lego wrote:
Lego wrote:
- C
bbyte wrote: Source first!
Kan was a Linn speaker made something from 80's to 90's and Ittok was tonearm for LP12 (before Ekos).
Lego wrote: Sorry Ceilidh Its me, I'm not a big fan of loudspeakers, if only there was a way to do all this hi-fi thing without them,so when folks start talking about amp/speaker combos it leaves me a bit cold,especially when there is no mention of the source.
Those British fellows you mention are trainspotters who wear Anoraks,compared to us lot in this forum they can only dream about getting to this level 8)
Oh, now I understand!! In the old days, the Linn retailers were so well-trained in Source First that they wouldn't let you have even a moderate Linn speaker until your Source units were up to scratch -- yes?

Don't worry, Lego! :D bbyte and I are talking only of speakers here because that's the focus of the thread -- but rest assured I'm daydreaming about Source and Control units too! (And these are daydreams -- I'm not yet at a point in my career where I can just go and purchase equipment, and thus a lot of the fun is in the daydreaming and planning for a nice system in the future. :D ) My current system is a shockingly non-Source-First Classik Music + Klout combination -- which is theoretically reprehensible, but beloved nonetheless. Upgrading from here (as was discussed last spring in a different thread) has historically not been easy for a fellow on a budget -- but with all the new Linn developments, things are looking up!:

1) For one thing, the new Akurate and Majik Kontrol (and now Majik-I) preamps seem to be putting pressure on 5103 and (analog) Exotik prices -- those prices are dropping all the time, and may soon go for used-Classik figures (which would allow me to "swap" my Classik for a much, much better preamp).

2) For another, it seems at least possible (judging from early reports on the Klimax DS) that the DS products are a "leap-frog", in that a DS product might perform considerably better (in tune-dem terms) than a disc-player of comparable price. If so -- and if rumors of an entry-level Majik/Classik DS prove true -- then yours truly will save every penny possible until a new Majik/Classik DS comes within reach!

So in my daydreams, I'll someday have a Majik/Classik DS feeding into a used 5103/Exotik and then into my trusty Klout -- after which the next hypothetical upgrade would (judging from bbyte's info) be to replace my Ninkas with passive Majik 140s. :D

But again, this is just daydreaming (which is a lot of fun in its own right!).

Cheers - C
bbyte

Post by bbyte »

I've heard some informations about moddified Akurate 242.
It has new bass speaker, crossover and some little changes. What it seems that it has the spirit of A242 but with much easier to follow high and mid tones. Impressive clarity without sacrificing your ears... :wink:

The difference between the Majik 140 is still obvious, but as I has read on topica, the little brother could easly been on 2x price.

Still waiting for those Majik monitors... :mrgreen: