Klångedang T1 - sensational loudspeakers!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

christian

Post by christian »

A few Pictures. They do look better in real Life.

Kind regards
Christian
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Nice ! i just looked on the site, and yes, i couldn't read any of it, but there was a maple pair of T1's ! I love maple speakers.
what type of paint finish is it ?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Nice ! i just looked on the site, and yes, i couldn't read any of it, but there was a maple pair of T1's ! I love maple speakers.
Best bet is to run it throogh Google translate. Try this link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ngedang.se

Because it is a computer translation it is a bit rough but you can get a pretty good idea of what is going on. It will even continue translating as you go from one link to another from that page.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Nice ! i just looked on the site, and yes, i couldn't read any of it, but there was a maple pair of T1's ! I love maple speakers.
Hi ! As far as I know its birch displayed on all pages, not maple.

Magnus
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

thanks guys ! oops, my bad, pale coloured wood, obviously not my strong point !
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Those are lovely looking speakers. I particularly like real wood as opposed to MDF! Are there any plans for floorstanders do anyone know? And any possible distributors in the UK?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hmm, t1/lejonklou? Sounds like a good idea! Needs to be sold by the same person :-D
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Christian, congrats!
Looking superb :-)

Interesting that you compare the sonic signature with ATC.
Do they fill the house with sound in a similar way as ATC50 did?
It's all about musical understanding!
christian

Post by christian »

Music Lover wrote:Christian, congrats!
Looking superb :-)

Interesting that you compare the sonic signature with ATC.
Do they fill the house with sound in a similar way as ATC50 did?
Thanks!
No these speakers are rather similar to the A212 in terms of filling the house with music.
Kind regards
Christian
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Those are lovely looking speakers. I particularly like real wood as opposed to MDF! Are there any plans for floorstanders do anyone know? And any possible distributors in the UK?
Hi Rufus,

Can´t answer your questions in full, only the constructor at Tonläget has them but on the Klångedang official homepage and the FAQ site you can read some of his thougts about future upgrades and plans ( not the regarding the distributionnet I´m afraid)

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ngedang.se
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Would be very interesting indeed to compare them with the M140:s in my recent setup (ADS/1, Kikkin, Tundra 1.2), really tempted...
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

My only problem with the T1 is this speaker cable thing. I use older Naim amps which needs at least 3,5m of Naca5 speaker cable from amp to speaker.

Is it safe to use short speakercables even with Naim amps because of the unusual serial xover and the long cables between xover and speaker? Or is 3.5m minimum between amp and xover still mandatory?

Any other issues with older Naim amps and T1's unusual xover arrangements you think?
the players of instruments shall be there..
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

I have zero knowledge to the T1 but have been running lots of old Naim amplifiers during decades
All run best off a longer speaker cable lenght, they are kind of less stressed performance, more relaxed with say 5 or 6 mtr even more, I rate 3.5 mtr as an absolutely minimum, for best possible result go longer
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks Per. Reg Naim and speakercables, Any feeling for when speaker cables starts to get too long and affecting performance in a negative way?
the players of instruments shall be there..
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

No sure if its 8 or 10 mtr but try ask on Naim Forum, some may have tried it there
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Today I torque tightened the drive units of my Klångedang T1. Something I should have done long ago, but have kept postponing, thinking "it's easier if they're well run in". It turned out not to be so easy, but very rewarding!

The treble ended up at 0.6-1/2. That's one half step back from 0.6 Nm on my Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4. It may sound low, but the front plate of the Hiquphon tweeter is plastic. And just around 0.6 Nm, it sharpens up and becomes very precise and rhythmic. Slightly above, notes begin to sound chopped off and it gets a little tiring to listen to. The peak where the performance is optimal is very sharp and I've gone back and forth around 0.6 Nm many times.

The Peerless bass, fastened with six screws, sounded best at 0.8-2 (two steps below 0.8 Nm). Unlike many other drive units, the performance peak here wasn't sharp at all. Instead I found a gradual change from a laid back, bass-heavy sound to an in-my-face, mid-heavy and articulated sound. It took me a good while to figure out what was happening. As I went higher up, the midrange moved forward and seduced me with it's clarity. But I also noticed the bass moving away and not integrating as well. After a while I found that the point where they balance each other, the speakers become amazingly open and musical. My pair has never sounded better than this!

The bass torque of 0.8-2 is unusually low for a die cast bass unit, but remember that the cabinet of Klångedang T1 is solid wood. This is probably also the reason why the result of the torque tightening is so different from most other speakers (which are made of MDF or chipboard).

Those of you who own T1's simply have to do this! And use my values as starting points, it might vary between different types of wood (and of course between tools as well).
christian

Post by christian »

lejonklou wrote: Those of you who own T1's simply have to do this! And use my values as starting points, it might vary between different types of wood (and of course between tools as well).
Hi
Me and Mr Linnofil tried this about a week ago and with his tool (not sure what he was using) we got 0,35 NM on the treble unit and 0,45 on the bass unit. We started low and increased until it became worse and then turned back. We did not go as far as you suggested so there may well be a higher optimun.

My speakers are in Black Ash.

I do agree that it is well worth spending the time to do this.
Kind regards
Christian
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

christian wrote:Me and Mr Linnofil tried this about a week ago and with his tool (not sure what he was using) we got 0,35 NM on the treble unit and 0,45 on the bass unit. We started low and increased until it became worse and then turned back.
It sounds like you ended up on suboptimal peaks. Most fasteners work just like that; there are multiple peaks and one of them is the highest. Finding it requires you to take both small and large steps with the torque tool. I went above 1.0 Nm on both units, but didn't find anything that made sense up there.

You are in for a big treat when you do this again! Call Linnofil and please report back to us! :)
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

I followed the suggestion and tightened the screws just by hand, don`t have a special tool for it.
I tightened them firmly just a little. When I begun feeling a little resistance I stopped.
I notice a better overall presentation now.

Have you ever tighened the screws in the bottom, holding the stand?
It can also be worthwile if its not been done. They tend to loosen up with time so check that.

/Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

I must add that I now have my T1 upgraded to the latest version available. The same version that Fredrik and Christian has.

I took them to Tonläget just before summer-holiday and our plan was to perform the update to all parts, that is speaker , stand and the filter. It took more time than expected so I left my filter to him so that he could do the job in his own pace. Received the last part yesterday, the filters.

With the upgrade now I´m even more happy with them. If they were really good before they are now very pleasant to listen to. Together with tightening the screws for the elements the result is now a big leap ahead from the time I bought them.

Regards Magnus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello made me a surprise visit yesterday. After serving him some Oolong tea, he sat down to listen to some songs. The theme of the day had been synth pop in the morning, but to made my guest happy I decided to change it to something more acoustic; Tom T Hall, Willie Nelson and David Allan Coe.

Azazello soon pointed out that the system sounded better last time. It's too stiff and bass shy, he said. Could the drive units be too tight?

After he left, I decided to redo the torque tightening procedure. Those bass units had been quite difficult, with several peaks at different torques. And indeed it turned out that I had been mistaken and ended up on a suboptimal value last time. My current values for the T1 are:

Treble 0.6-1/2 Nm (unchanged and the peak around 0.6 is very sharp)
Bass 0.6 Nm

The value of 0.6 is around half the torque of many bass drivers on other speakers. Clearly the solid wood Klångedang T1's react differently.

Magnus: If you tighten by hand, please note that 0.6 Nm is quite a light twist with a screwdriver. If using a hex key, hold the short end and not the long one, otherwise you'll most likely overtighten the screw.

Azazello: Thanks!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Klångedang T1 is a fantastic speaker!
I have had mine for three weeks and I totally agree about their ability to drag you into the music.
I received the speakers first as DHL sent the stands in orbit, so for the first week they where placed on top of the Linn 109s they replaced. On top of the speakers and not the stands. They were good right out of the box and I connected them with newly soldered K400 and K200.

After a few days day started to sound worse and when I finally got the stands they sounded a bit slow and confused. I assembled the stands and filled them up with litter, a little more than told in the instructions. After this, they sounded even worse, over damped and really boring.

Next day I removed the extra sand I had added and it helped a bit but I was still disappointed.

Today I’m satisfied and find them to be one of the best, if not the best, speaker I have ever had or heard when it comes to musicality. I don’t miss anything even if the sub bass are absent, it doesn't matter. I listen to music I previously found boring. The burn in period of the speakers and the soldering joints were painstaking but of course worth it. I just hadn’t expected such big variations in performance.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Erik wrote:Klångedang T1 is a fantastic speaker!
I have had mine for three weeks and I totally agree about their ability to drag you into the music.
Cool! Thank you for the report, Erik!

I agree that the burn in period was terrible, I doubted my purchase several times in those weeks. But it was soon forgotten once they had settled down.

Have you checked drive unit torques yet? I have started the 2.01 upgrade on my T1's, but not yet completed it (other tests got in the way).
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have checked the torque settings and I find the treble very sensitive. With only three screws you have to fasten each screw in small increments and work your way around. Otherwise they won't be equally torqued.

I almost regret the comment about the lower bass. Of course speakers as small as these can't reproduce the lowest earth shaking bass, but they are definitely NOT bass shy.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Finally I have had my T1's upgraded to version 2.01 and reinstalled in my living room.
They sing so lovely! So effortlessly. It's really hard to stop listening.

I have a question for those of you who have listened to the Klångedang T1's: What is it that makes you, after listnening to T1's for a while, think that other speakers sound like "loudspeakers".

What I mean is: I have compared T1's at Tonläget with various expensive floorstanders. All of them sounded like a big box with many drive units. The T1's seem to lack that, you are instead instantly drawn into the song being played.

At home it's the same thing. Used to have 109's (marvellous speakers for the money) and still have 212's (detailed, analytical and musical). They both sound very "there are loudspeakers playing in that room" when heard from a distance. The T1's don't sound like that at all.

Why? What makes loudspeakers of quite different construction all sound like boxes with many drive units in them?