Linn Majik DSM and Linn Espek

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

papillon

Linn Majik DSM and Linn Espek

Post by papillon »

Hi,
could you tell me if you already heard this combination between Espek and Majik DSM? or pehraps some of you have it at home.
My dealer recommanded me this setup. I wonder if Majik DSM is power enough to drive these espek at low level.

Regards,
Pascal
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Tha Majik DSM is a great product. Go for it! But why Espek? Is sounds like your dealer has a pair that he wants to get rid of. What are you supposed to pay for them? A pair of Komponent 110's are better (if you dont have a big room or like lots of bass) and are probably cheaper. Majik 109 is also a lot better than Espek and about the same price used.

Personally I would not drive a pair of Espeks with a small power amp that shares the PSU with my source and pre amp.

With a good installation and network the Majik DSM can be really good. I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
papillon

Post by papillon »

Hi Linnofil,
Thanks a lot for your answer.
well I asked him that I was looking for ex-dem Majik 140 and he told me that he didn't have any. But that he had 2nd hand Espek which went further.
But I was quite surprised to read that for you 109 are better than Espek! and what about the bass at low volume? midrange also is better?
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Sounds like the dealer is being a cheeky monkey!
109s or 140s would both be as lot better imho. I'd be inclined to go for 140s for the extra bass. I personally really like 140s but am not so familiar with 109s.
papillon wrote:Hi Linnofil,
Thanks a lot for your answer.
well I asked him that I was looking for ex-dem Majik 140 and he told me that he didn't have any. But that he had 2nd hand Espek which went further.
But I was quite surprised to read that for you 109 are better than Espek! and what about the bass at low volume? midrange also is better?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Majik DSM and Linn Espek

Post by anthony »

papillon wrote:Hi,
could you tell me if you already heard this combination between Espek and Majik DSM? or pehraps some of you have it at home.
My dealer recommanded me this setup. I wonder if Majik DSM is power enough to drive these espek at low level.

Regards,
Pascal
MDSM works very well with 109/140, why bother with Espek.
papillon

Post by papillon »

For some money reason, can find espek for 700 pounds now
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

papillon wrote:I asked him that I was looking for ex-dem Majik 140 and he told me that he didn't have any. But that he had 2nd hand Espek which went further.
I'm not sure what "went further" means, further down in frequency or further up in performance? Majik 140 is a lot better than Espek. All 2k (and 3k) array speakers are better musically than Espek. (Yes, even the Komponent 104...)
papillon wrote:But I was quite surprised to read that for you 109 are better than Espek! and what about the bass at low volume? midrange also is better?
Well, 109's are much better at playing music! Espek is better at playing low frequencies at high levels. I would pick any 2k array speaker before Espek. Espek can also be a bit tricky to install (as is Komponent 110) and is not the best speaker for someone not very experienced. Even if the dealer should install the system for you.

In your situation I would buy the Majik DSM and then look for 2nd hand Majik 109's with stands. It should be possible to get a pair for £700.
papillon

Post by papillon »

ok, thanks for your advice, i'll try to listen to these different speakers to make a choice.

And considering non-linn speakers do you have a recommandation. I was told that Proac D2 could make a good match.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

papillon wrote: I was told that Proac D2 could make a good match.
Based on what?
Musicality or sound...

A safe bet is M109, one of the better (=musical) speakers Linn produced, especially considering the price.
It's all about musical understanding!
papillon

Post by papillon »

Thanks. i'll have to listen to these 109 carefully.
As bookshelves don't we have to push up the volume to get a nice soundstage compared to Majik 140 for example?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A fantastic speaker (I am still waiting for my pair in black ash) is Klångedang T1. Much more expensive than 109, though.

http://www.klangedang.se/
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Is that a hiquphon ow3 tweeter ?
http://www.hiquphon.dk/images/OW3/2xOW3-FR-640.jpg
was thinking of maybe putting some ow1's in my ninkas.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I replaced Ninkas with Espeks in my CD12/5103/Solos system. It was an error - the Ninkas were a much better speaker. Like others have suggested, a Majik DSi or DSM with 109s is a fantastic combination for the money.
papillon

Post by papillon »

Thanks Floatcoat.
I have a listening session next week with Majik 109 and Majik 140.
My fear with Majik 109 is that we must listen at a certain level to get a nice soundstage. Bokkshelves are not the easiest speakers to drive, need a powerful amp generally. I wonder about the bass too.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Flatcoat wrote:I replaced Ninkas with Espeks in my CD12/5103/Solos system. It was an error - the Ninkas were a much better speaker. Like others have suggested, a Majik DSi or DSM with 109s is a fantastic combination for the money.
In fairness, I think the phrase "the Ninkas were a much better speaker" should really have been "I much preferred the Ninkas". I've heard both and much preferred the Espek. Hifi, like most things in life, is a compromise, and taste comes into it a lot.
As an aside, did you not audition the Espeks first? I'd have thought that was a must for any 'speaker change.

Mick