Daisychain

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nice you got an improvement, Lego!

(Please note that the Tune Method is not about how you should to listen to music! It's just a method for quick comparative evaluations. To make it repeatable and reliable, you need to perform it in a certain way.)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

daisychain

Post by Lego »

Yes you're correct lejonklou i just thought that was how everyone made comparisons(although when i think back to the lk1 pre amp i remember it to be more tunefull than the kairn!?); following the tune is a lot easier than comparing bass definition or the like.The real test was if i could notice a difference with my Kremlin no similar tunes to compare etc. the jury is out on that one so I'll let you know later .Also i dont know if its my imagination or not but the bass klout which used to have a lot of transformer hum has now more or less stopped humming could that be due to me d'chaining the amps lejonklou?

Thanks for your time
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I can't think of any way the daisy chain connection could affect the transformer hum.

The only way to decrease the risk of transformer hum that I know of, is to make sure the voltage selector is at 240 volts and not 220.
Thodo

Post by Thodo »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so excuse any faux pas.

I noticed on the linn website under the Customer Support>FAQ sections, the following Linn statements that i thought were relavant to this discussion:

"Should I daisy-chain multiple amplifiers or connect them in parallel?
There are no sonic differences between either the daisy-chained or parallel method. Daisy chaining would be necessary if you are using more power amplifiers than you have outputs from your pre-amplifier. The signal line input is directly connected to the line output of the same amplifier and therefore in the daisy-chain method, it is not critical which amplifier is connected to the output of the pre-amplifier, provided that the treble power amplifier is connected to the treble input of the loudspeaker and the bass power amplifier is connected to the bass input of the loudspeaker."

"The Majik Kontrol only has one pair of variable outputs. Didn’t your old pre-amps have two or three?
Yes, we have provided multiple pairs of outputs in the past, providing separate outputs to two amps for bi-amping or going active. However, we have since enabled our power amps to be daisy-chained, which allows the connection of as many amplifiers as necessary for the application. The Majik 2100, like the rest of our Chakra amplifiers, can be connected in this way."

Anyway, that's Linn marketing answer anyway...

As an aside, I just took delivery of my new Majik 6100 and Unidisk SC to aktively drive my Keilidhs. The aktiv cards in the Majik have been daisychained internally by the dealer (which is great because the Majik (and in fact all Chakra/Akurate/Majiks) come with a Linn Black interconnect for each channel so now i have spare sets of these) :D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That is a bit of a lame answer, but on the other hand this is common practice at many FAQ's and customer supports. The intention is to calm the customer down, focus on larger and potentially dangerous faults and leave the details to the retailer.

On their courses for retailers, Linn teaches a lot of small tricks, like how to optimally connect systems.

SC-6100-Aktiv Keilidh sounds like a very neat system. Should have some good punch in it, no? Used to have 2 pairs of Keilidh and, as the name suggests, they were great party speakers.
Thodo

Post by Thodo »

I agree, its definitely a PR answer - odd that they would even bother expressing such a view on their website...

Yep, i am thrilled at the new setup. This has been my only upgrade since i purchased the keilidh's with a classik back in 2000 so to say that the improvement is significant is an understatement.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

monkeydevil wrote: Is "the best output" the same om all Kairns, or do they differ on every Kairn?
ok, I did a little test tonight. ...
I see that you have already tried this with your own Kairn. I can't remember if the best output were the same on our Kairns. It was such a long time ago. But as always, true knowledge is just a tunedem away!
lejonklou wrote:Linnofil: I am impressed. That you managed to find what flawed the parallel connection in these cases is the Sherlock Holmes achievement of the year in my book. I have never heard of the Kairn outputs sounding different before! ...
Thank you for your kind words! But it was really just a logical search for a reason behind my weird findings. But I also think that there is more to the reason behind daisychained being the best option. The effect of groundloops varies a lot in different systems and may also change when connecting and disconnecting cables in the same system. I think they can be a big factor in these cases.
Music Lover wrote:Outputs with different SQ - a good catch Linnofil.
Going to check my 1.1 outputs! (is A or B best?)
Then I check the preamp input...
You'll never know where your next improvement is going to come from! The fun thing with installation issues like this is the satisfaction you get from maximizing the inherent performance of your products. For free!
Music Lover wrote:Sweeeet! :D
B is better on Tune Dem, but A offer more PRaT.

Going to burn in A for a week/two and test again.
If A can improve the tune just a bit, it's going to be a killer combination!
:mrgreen:

Guys, is this FUN or what? :wink:
What's the story on this? Has A improved with burn in?
Yes this IS fun! Knowledge IS power, so more power to the (Linn)people with this forum! :D
Lego wrote:Hi guys I daisychained my aktiv klouts last night for the first time in 5 years(having read in the manual that parallel is the better option!!???) anyway klouts sound a lot more enjoyable to listen to now
Great news, this forum works!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Sorry for not reporting back on this.

First a correction. I discovered that I have mixed up A with B. :oops:

So... A was the best before. And despite using B 24/7 for 2 weeks to burn it in - NO improvement at all.
On my Unidisk, A is best!
It's all about musical understanding!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Music Lover wrote: I discovered that I have mixed up A with B.
:lol: :wink: