Akurate cdp.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

poppop

Akurate cdp.

Post by poppop »

Hi All,

Having listened to my Akurate cd player for about 1 week, I would urge anyone looking for a "musical" upgrade to give one an audition!
I previously had a majik cd and a 2.1.

I really am surprised by how much "better" it sounds. If you do get a chance to audition, Id be interested if Linns new spinner impresses you as much.

Steve.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Yes it does!
Heard it and 1.1 performance at almost half of the cost...what to say?
WOW :mrgreen:

Anyone that compared it with CD12?
It's all about musical understanding!
poppop

Post by poppop »

M.L

I heard the cd 12 back in Feb, and really was amazed at the quality.In an A/B with the 1.1 I thought it was "better". I dont think I have ever heard a piano sound so much like a piano!

How did you find the Akurate/1.1 tune dem wise? I only have the majik cd at home to do direct A/B.The majik is still VERY good. I get the impression from one or two things Ive seen written that the Akurate is better than the 1.1?

Steve.
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

I heard it in a Akurate/Akurate Kontrol/Akurate 4200/Ninka system last week. It sounded good - slightly better than my 1.1/5103/2250/Espek system - but I put that down to the pre- and power amps.

FWIW, the ESS227 upgrade for the 1.1 made the 1.1 sound noticeably better than the Akurate.
LP12/Lingo/Ittok/Klyde
Uni1.1 / 5103 / 2250->Espek / 2250->Ekwal / 5105-> Katan
poppop

Post by poppop »

Just had a friend email me from Germany. Today he auditioned the Akurate against the 1.1(with latest upgrades etc) and was so convinced it was better("by a wide margin") than the 1.1, he placed an order on the spot!!

And once again all this proves is that audtion, preferably in your own home if possible, is absolutely essential.

Either way, both wonderful players. Listen with glee!

Steve.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Be careful.
If a Unidisk 1.1 has been updated it need a "reset" to be at it's best.
Also, the Unidisk must be configured again as the reset takes it back to factory settings.

I compared the sound before and after reset/configuration and the diffrence is big.
poppop

Post by poppop »

Hi M.L

Im assuming all was as it should have been. The dem. was done with a well known Linn dealer in Germany, Im hoping therefore it would be a "fair" and true A/B comparison.

That said, in no way am I defending my purchase or decrying someone elses. Its seems clear that both players are excellent and once you have decided that "video" replay isnt essential, let the "ears" decide! LOL.

Have a good weekend.

Steve.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hello Music Lover
If a Unidisk 1.1 has been updated it need a "reset" to be at it's best.
Also, the Unidisk must be configured again as the reset takes it back to factory settings
I agree about the need to reset the unit but for what I remember now, the factory settings which affect cd sound quality (such as digital out) are all ok by default. Am I forgetting anything?

Regarding Unidisk 1.1 vs. Akurate cd, there's a chance that good part of the difference in performance is due to the sw (and so will change with time as new respective releases will be made available). My guess infact is that the Akurate CD has same audio board as 1.1, same SMPS and a directly derived, but simplified Silver Disk Engine board. Anyone knows?

Paolo
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

paolo wrote:I agree about the need to reset the unit but for what I remember now, the factory settings which affect cd sound quality (such as digital out) are all ok by default.
Yes, I agree that they are. Can't think of any that needs to be changed for an accurate comparison.

I suspect that the difference in sound is due to both software and the absence of video circuitry, which will mean less load on the power supply.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

paolo wrote:Regarding Unidisk 1.1 vs. Akurate cd, there's a chance that good part of the difference in performance is due to the sw (and so will change with time as new respective releases will be made available). My guess infact is that the Akurate CD has same audio board as 1.1, same SMPS and a directly derived, but simplified Silver Disk Engine board. Anyone knows?
I think you are correct re the SW.

Asked a few Linn retailers and all state it's a 1.1 with the Video board removed. But we have the true answer when a unit can be opened...

Love to be able to "play" with an Akurate CD, uploading ESS 221 to it and check the performance.
And upload 228 to 1.1 :mrgreen:
Anyone up for the challange? :wink:
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Music Lover wrote: Asked a few Linn retailers and all state it's a 1.1 with the Video board removed. But we have the true answer when a unit can be opened...
One person from Linn Germany even state that there will be an upgrade option from Akurate CD to Unidisk 1.1.
Love to be able to "play" with an Akurate CD, uploading ESS 221 to it and check the performance.
I doubt that this will work, since the ESS software for the Unidisk expects a video board which is not there in an Akurate CD. And how do you want to reset the options without video board and a display connected to it?
And upload 228 to 1.1 :mrgreen:
But maybe this will work? No, I will not try it out :mrgreen:

Another idea: Since I don't need my video board at all, maybe I can sell it to some Akurate CD owner? :mrgreen:
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

sommerfee wrote:One person from Linn Germany even state that there will be an upgrade option from Akurate CD to Unidisk 1.1.
This sounds vaguely similar to something I'd heard rumored years ago (circa 2000/2001). The replacements for the Genki/Ikemi would have 'Sneaky'-type upgrades allowing them to play DVDs.
LP12/Lingo/Ittok/Klyde
Uni1.1 / 5103 / 2250->Espek / 2250->Ekwal / 5105-> Katan
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I don't think any sneaky module in the world could have accomplished that with Ikemi/Genki, as they were CD players.

I think it would be very nice if Linn would go the sneaky/upgrade module way with their products. But they probably won't, because 1) There is a risk that someone else makes a sneaky module (as I did with the Hudik phono stage for Exotik/Kinos) and 2) It seems both customers and magazines are much more interested in entirely new products than old and upgraded ones.

That last part is a bit sad. Imagine it would the other way around - the longer a product has been in production, the more it's considered interesting and written about. Today it only works that way with the oldest and most famous products, like the LP12.

Sorry for OT :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:I think it would be very nice if Linn would go the sneaky/upgrade module way with their products. But they probably won't, because 1) There is a risk that someone else makes a sneaky module (as I did with the Hudik phono stage for Exotik/Kinos) and 2) It seems both customers and magazines are much more interested in entirely new products than old and upgraded ones.

Sorry for OT :)
This definitely seems to be the way of things and it is certainly fostered by the magazines. The worst offender has to be Stereophile and their "Recommended Components" section. They have a policy of dropping products off the recommended list just because they haven't heard them in a few years. This means that products that the reviewers own such as the LP12 or Quad speakers can stay on indefinitely (which I think is fine) but other products like the Klimax Solo amps get booted off whether they are the best amps made or not. Since Stereophile also has a policy of only testing new or substantially updated products the manufacturer can't simply send them a unit again for review. The message is clear - if you want to stay on the recommended list you better update your product every 3 or 4 years.

This leads to companies who play the game - Musical Fidelity with their never-ending new models or Wilson (Watt/Puppy v8 anyone, did it take them 8 tries to get it right, or maybe 9) staying in the listings when more worthy products get dropped. It is indeed a sad situation.

Since Fredrik started the OT I don't feel so bad about continuing it. Besides he can always move it if it seems time for a new thread.