Linn Akurate DS/0 vs Akurate DS/1

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

carlinox

Linn Akurate DS/0 vs Akurate DS/1

Post by carlinox »

I am a happy owner of an Akurate DS/0 with Dynamik.
I was thinking about an upgrade from ADS/0 to ADS/1, the last one equipped with the new sound board.
The upgrade is quite expensive, about 1800 euros, so I am asking to myself: is the new ADS/1 really improved with respect to the ADS/0?
Is it a good value for money?
Has anyone compared this two devices?
Are there any appreciable differences?
Thank you.
Akurate DS/0 (Dyn.) - Klimax Kontrol/1 (Dyn.) - Chakra 6100 (Dyn.) - Majik 109 (active)
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I have heard an ADS/0 Dynamik upgraded to ADS/1 against my ADS/0 Dynamik.

Only listen to this if you can afford the upgrade! You won't want to go back to your ADS/0.

See my thoughts on my blog:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk ... e-ds0.html
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

The ADS/1 really is significantly better than the ADS/0/D unfortunately! I had an ADS/0/D for a couple of years and while it's a great player, I have been really impressed of what I've heard of the ADS/1.
I'sd say the ADS/1 is closer to a Renew DS than an ADS/0, but doesn't quite have the natural sound of Renew.
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

Given my limited budget, I was wondering whether to switch to a DS/1 sound board or to upgrade my Chakra 6100 (aktive) to a Chakra 6100 + Chakra 4200 (aktive - I know, I would waste 4 channels). Both options would be almost equally expensive. So it is a matter on how to get the best sound for money.
What option would you suggest?
ADS/1 + 6100Dyn or ADS/0Dyn + 4200Dyn + 6100Dyn?
Akurate DS/0 (Dyn.) - Klimax Kontrol/1 (Dyn.) - Chakra 6100 (Dyn.) - Majik 109 (active)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

carlinox wrote:Given my limited budget, I was wondering whether to switch to a DS/1 sound board or to upgrade my Chakra 6100 (aktive) to a Chakra 6100 + Chakra 4200 (aktive - I know, I would waste 4 channels). Both options would be almost equally expensive. So it is a matter on how to get the best sound for money.
ADS1
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Going aktiv may be more likely to show up the differences between the two ADS sources, so ADS1 & 6100 would probably sound better, but it's not an audition that I've done. If you can, let your own ears be the judge.
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

anthony wrote:
carlinox wrote:Given my limited budget, I was wondering whether to switch to a DS/1 sound board or to upgrade my Chakra 6100 (aktive) to a Chakra 6100 + Chakra 4200 (aktive - I know, I would waste 4 channels). Both options would be almost equally expensive. So it is a matter on how to get the best sound for money.
ADS1
I beg your pardon: how could you be sure? Have you done a listening test?
I think that ADS1 could improve "tune dem" while 4200 (aktive) could give a more depth and pleasantness to low frequencies.
What do you think about?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

In my experience, improving the source improves everything. Improving the playback is nowhere close.

I haven't made the exact comparison mentioned above, but I would certainly place my bet on the ADS/1.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Rufus McDufus wrote:The ADS/1 really is significantly better than the ADS/0/D
I have been really impressed of what I've heard of the ADS/1.
I'd say the ADS/1 is closer to a Renew DS than an ADS/0, but doesn't quite have the natural sound of Renew.
lejonklou wrote:In my experience, improving the source improves everything. Improving the playback is nowhere close.
I have to agree with the above. There is no way an upgrade of the power amps or even an active conversion can compete with such an upgrade in the source. I bought the ADS/0 in -09, upgraded with a Dynamik PSU and then switched to the ADS/1 when it came out. It was a very big upgrade from ADS/0/D to ADS/1, highly recomended!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I have experience of the ADS/0/D versus ADS/1 AND adding an Akurate amp into a predominantly Majik amplified system.

I found that mixing an A2200/D into my otherwise Majik/D amplified active Majik 140s brought a touch extra detail and airiness to the sound, but actually messed it up from a musical / emotional / tunedem perspective. I haven't heard all Akurate vs all Majik amps for my M140s, but I suspect that would be an improvement. Mixing amps definitely was not an improvement.

However, the ADS/0/D to ADS/1 is a really big step forward in terms of timing, dynamics, detail, separation, imaging AND musical emotion.

IMHO go for ADS/1 then go active with your existing Majik amp - don't go Akurate amps until you can afford all 6 channels.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

sunbeamgls wrote:Mixing amps definitely was not an improvement.
I have a different feedback about mixing amps.

A friend of mine upgraded from:

ADS/0D ; Kinos ; C4100D + C4100D ; M140
C4100D : active bass&midrange
C4100D : active tweeter&supertweeter

To

ADS/0D ; Kinos ; C4100D + C4200D ; M140
C4200D : active bass&midrange
C4100D : active tweeter&supertweeter

He referred that upgraded config was significantly better: more powerful basses, more details, more “in tune”, higher class.
Are you sure that mixing amps involves a mess from a musical point of view?
Last edited by carlinox on 2012-09-21 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Only reporting my experience in the specific config in the post. But yes, no doubt IMHO

I only had 2 channels of Akurate which I tried on supertweeter then on tweeter and consistent amps were definitely better overall. As I didn't have 4 channels I did not try them on the mid nor bass drivers.
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

sunbeamgls wrote:I only had 2 channels of Akurate which I tried on supertweeter then on tweeter and consistent amps were definitely better overall. As I didn't have 4 channels I did not try them on the mid nor bass drivers.
Might be interesting to try A2200 on bass channels.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Akurate DS/0 vs Akurate DS/1

Post by Music Lover »

carlinox wrote:I am a happy owner of an Akurate DS/0 with Dynamik.
I was thinking about an upgrade from ADS/0 to ADS/1, the last one equipped with the new sound board.
I suggest you consider Klimax Renew.

Regarding the amp discussion, don't bother until you have KDS/KK.
It's all about musical understanding!
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

Music Lover wrote: I suggest you consider Klimax Renew.
Nice but it's way too expensive for my pockets.
And I've recently invested a lot of money in KK/1D.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Just sold the Akurate amp, so the ADS/0/D to ADS/1 upgrade is on order.
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

sunbeamgls wrote:Just sold the Akurate amp, so the ADS/0/D to ADS/1 upgrade is on order.
I don't have an Akurate amp. I've a Chakra 6100 Dynamiked.
I was thinking of buying a Chakra 4200 Dinamiked (Akurate class).
Anyway if I sell my amp C6100D, how can I listen music?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

carlinox wrote:
What you mean? I have never heard of a Klimax Renew selling for more than a new ADS/1.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

The advertised prices have been reaching GBP4500 in the UK and I think I saw one recently for GBP4999. Whether they're selling for those prices I don't know and hope not.
I made my money back on mine when I sold it to a dealer, who then sold it on for GBP700 more!
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

lejonklou wrote:
carlinox wrote:
What you mean? I have never heard of a Klimax Renew selling for more than a new ADS/1.
My options:

upgrade 1
Chakra 4200 -> 2500 euros

upgrade 2
New board inside my Akurate DS/0 -> 1800 euros

Both choices cost less than a Klimax Renew or a new Akurate DS
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Would you consider a used ADS/1? They are prone to losing a fair bit of their value within the first year same as most top-end equipment, the only exception so far being the KRDS which has defied gravity due to its excellent value for money.

If you were considering an Akurate power amp, I'd go for a Tundra instead even if it means foregoing Aktiv. It's massively better than the Akurate amps IMHO and definitely in KCT territory (some, such as myself think its closer to a Solo). The other snag with the 4200s is they're complex & fiddly and not often sounding as good as they could straight out of the factory. Optimizing them is a pain.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

carlinox wrote:Both choices cost less than a Klimax Renew or a new Akurate DS
I just took the advertised price of an ADS/0/D and a Klimax Renew and the difference was 2300 €.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

One item to consider is the better long term value of a Renew.
ADS/1 going to loose its value faster.

A Renew is simply the better option.
And as you have a KK/1/D I guess your long term goal is a KDS/1/D correct?
It's all about musical understanding!
carlinox

Post by carlinox »

Rufus McDufus wrote: Would you consider a used ADS/1?
They are prone to losing a fair bit of their value within the first year
The same for my used ADS/0. I ought to sell it, hoping not to sell it at a too low price. Then I ought to find a used ADS/1 not very expensive, in mint conditions. Too complex, not for me. The easiest way is upgrade the sound board.
Rufus McDufus wrote: KRDS which has defied gravity due to its excellent value for money
It runs more than 5000 euros. Too much for me.
Rufus McDufus wrote: If you were considering an Akurate power amp, I'd go for a Tundra instead even if it means foregoing Aktiv.
I love aktiv sound. I'd rather not give up the active configuration.
Rufus McDufus wrote: The other snag with the 4200s is they're complex & fiddly and not often sounding as good as they could straight out of the factory. Optimizing them is a pain.
I could buy it from a very trusted friend of mine. The amp has already been tested and it sounds lovely.
lejonklou wrote: I just took the advertised price of an ADS/0/D and a Klimax Renew and the difference was 2300 €.
Things could get more complicated with respect theory.
I had a lot of problems each time I tried to sell a Linn item. I always sold items at a much lower price than I paid. And is not easy to find a reliable seller and an affordable price. I should be sure to find both solutions simultaneously (buying and selling).
Music Lover wrote: as you have a KK/1/D I guess your long term goal is a KDS/1/D correct?
Of course, I would like. But it can be thought as a crazy isolated purchase.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

carlinox wrote:
sunbeamgls wrote:Just sold the Akurate amp, so the ADS/0/D to ADS/1 upgrade is on order.
I don't have an Akurate amp. I've a Chakra 6100 Dynamiked.
I was thinking of buying a Chakra 4200 Dinamiked (Akurate class).
Anyway if I sell my amp C6100D, how can I listen music?
I think you have misunderstood my post. I have sold my Akurate amp and have ordered the ADS/0/D to ADS/1 upgrade. This is because the DS upgrade gives much better musical performance than mixing Akurate and Majik amps in my active system.