where should i plug it in?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

where should i plug it in?

Post by bonzo »

im looking for suggestion on how to plug in my gear. to do this, i have 2 dedicated 20 amp duplex receptacels (so thats 2 outlets, each able to receive to connections), also have 2 naim/wiremold 9 outlet strips...the 50 dollar kind that do nothing to the signal. I have lingo2 :wink: klimax kontrol, linto, pekin, 2 C4200 amps, no dick player currently but will have a universal in the future. Do i plug the Lingo in one receptacle all by itself with nothing else and plug everything else into other receptacle after naim strip? i listen to vinyl almos all the time..the improvement in the dedicated lines was signifigant, and want to be sure im making the most of my efforts (yep..ran the lines myself...what a pain...but well worth it. thanks every everyone
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Re: where should i plug it in?

Post by Azazello »

bonzo wrote:no dick player
:lol:
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

sorry!!

Post by bonzo »

meant disk player....
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Plugging the Lingo into one receptacle may improve things - best bet is just to try it. So far I haven't tried this but I probably will sometime soon. A lot of people would recommend plugging the power amps into one set of receptacles. As they draw the most power, this is supposed to reduce their effect on the other components. Again something I haven't tried but with your setup it would be easy enough to try.

When using the strip you will get the most tuneful sound following the hierarchy. Source components should be closest to where the power enters the strip and work your way back to the power amps. As an example, in my system they are arranged as follows: Lingo, Linto1, Linto2, Ikemi, Pekin, Alesis MasterLink, Klimax Kontrol, ATCs (power amps). The Naim guys recommend the opposite order - starting with the amps and working back toward the sources with digital components at the end. I have tried this and find that it is close and maybe a bit more "Hi-Fi" but it is not as tuneful.

Try plugging it in following the hierarchy and then try unplugging the Lingo from the strip and plug it into the wall and see if the tune improves. Then you can also try unplugging the amps and going directly into the wall. See which setup is the most tuneful.

Have fun.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

(moving this to Hifi forum)

My experience is that with newer Linn equipment, the best sound is obtained by plugging them in as close to each other as possible. With close I mean a short distance between units through the mains wiring.

Everything into the same (good sounding) strip and following the order that Thomas recommends gives very good results. Moving the Lingo is usually very bad for the tune and moving the poweramps makes the sound bigger but unfocused and less tuneful.

In some cases it is actually better to separate equipment and then it's most commonly the power amps that benefit from a "longer mains distance" to the rest of the system. But this is not common on modern Linn systems.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

lejonklou wrote: In some cases it is actually better to separate equipment and then it's most commonly the power amps that benefit from a "longer mains distance" to the rest of the system. But this is not common on modern Linn systems.
I just wanted to jump in to say that this corresponds with my own experiences. (with the meaning "modern Linn system" = Linn system with PSU amps)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I always thought that the Lingo put a lot of noise back into the mains so it should be plugged in together with the old linn power amps on the same strip away from pre amps and pre pre amps.I think i once used an old AM or MW radio to listen to the mains noise and when i plugged in the Kairn the noise vanished.Microwave ovens also suppress mains noise,and are a lot better than the Kairn at heating up soup......!?

Have a Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year guys

Leo
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:I always thought that the Lingo put a lot of noise back into the mains so it should be plugged in together with the old linn power amps on the same strip away from pre amps and pre pre amps
That's a theory, but have you actually compared it? Normally the sound is best when you connect the Lingo FIRST together with the phono preamp (second) and preamp (third).

Give it a try and tell us what happened.

Same to you, Lego!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Thanks for that Lejonklou do you also recommend plugging in 2 klouts on the same distribution block as the Lingo etc ?
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, but I don't have any definitive answer for that. I can only share some ideas:

One time when I made some experiments with this, the best sound was to have the Klout (it was only one) connected to a different wall outlet that ran on the same mains fuse and power cable (the 2 wall outlets were in series with about 2 meters of cable between them). In this case, the wall outlets were all grounded.

At home, I used to have no ground in my wall. Then it was best to have the entire system in one distribution block, grounded together (but the ground was floating). This solution often works well, so it is always the first thing that I try. Then I see if there is anything to gain by increasing the distance (the electrical distance, mains-wise) between some of the components.

I have not had much sucess with putting power amps on a different phase or fuse - it's usually been best with everything rather closely connected (mains-wise), but sometimes not TOO close.

In some cases, I have theories that seem to match the results I'm getting. In others, I don't really understand what is happening, but try to keep track of when the results are really good. One day it might make sense!