Lid

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Mikeg

Lid

Post by Mikeg »

There has been a lot of talk on the Linn forum about the benefits or otherwise of using the LP12 with the lid down, up or off. Surprisingly there seems to be no clear consensus. I did a search on this forum and could not find any discussions on the subject. Until it was raised I had always listened with the lid off as I thought this was the recommended option. However I have since tried all of the options and both the lid down and lid off seem to have merit although sounding totally different, so further investigation is in order.

I do have a lot of respect for the views on this forum particularly with regard to getting best out of the Sondek and would appreciate comments on what is considered the best option.

Mike
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Yes Mike, I have followed the Linn debate and was likewise interested that it was inconclusive.
One reason why I keep the lid on my LP12 closed during playback it to keep the stylus cleaner. I suffer static in my listening room, and am used to the record mat sticking to the record when I remove it.
By the same token if find that any pieces of dust that are (always) in the atmosphere seem to gravitate towards the player when open and end up as a wool ball on my stylus.

Also, I have a cat......... who just might.......

Don, from overcast York
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've always preferred the lid off.
Second best: Lid closed.
Worst: Lid open.

It was a couple of years since I last compared this, but back then it was an easy comparison.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:I've always preferred the lid off.
Second best: Lid closed.
Worst: Lid open.

It was a couple of years since I last compared this, but back then it was an easy comparison.
This has been my experience as well. I had not, so far, replied to the Linn forum on this as I was going to test it again with my current setup to verify my earlier findings (although I have little doubt about them). I still hope to get a chance to do this although the holidays, and the wear they have put on my body, hasn't given me much time to play with the LP12.

I have to say that I have a different take on the conclusions on the Linn forum thread, however. I have kept up with it from the beginning and it seems to me that a large majority feel the LP12 sounds best with the lid off. A few, including Peter, play theirs with lid on but down but I note Peter will not say which sounds better - just that he is afraid he'll step on the lid if taken off his LP12!

For Don, I would highly recommend treating your lid with an anti-static treatment. If you have that much of a static problem then the lid is almost certainly charged as well and it will likely attract the tonearm thereby reducing the tracking force. Using an antistatic spray or a Zerodust gun on the lid should take care of this.
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

Way back in the 80's I met Ivor and he said in some instances it may be better to play with the lid down as it reduces air bourne sound interactions with the stylus.

Even so I play with the lid off unless I have the patio doors open and I am listening from the garden.

Richard