Klimax DSM and Akurate DSM

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Audiman

Post by Audiman »

Hi

I will be very careful not to make any judgement about "best".
But for me my money (literally) is on the combination ADS/1 + KK/1/D + K320a.

Someday there will be a KDS in the system, time will show when.

//
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Audiman wrote: I will be very careful not to make any judgement about "best".
But for me my money (literally) is on the combination ADS/1 + KK/1/D + K320a.
I have now spent some time with KDSM and 320a+345a. The K320a are connected using balanced silvers directly to the KDSM.
345 is connected using a pair of unbalanced silvers.

(Previously the K320a were driven by Kinos/ADS using unbalanced Silvers)

The difference is absolutely massive and required a major repositioning of the Sub (It is like the Sub output on the Kinos added some degree phase shift which is now "removed")

My only complaint with the KDSM is that I really would like to have one additional HDMI input. As it is now all are used by the TV box, BluRay Player and Computer. (No space for Playstation or similar).

As for the sound difference, it seems that the flimsy standard stands for the K320a suddenly joined the speakers with the earths crust.
Hifi terms like depth and imaging are suddenly apparent, its like the music is suddenly chiseled out of thin air in front of you.

I cannot relate to some reviews that accuses the KDSM to have a confused placement of instruments, I suspect they must not have a fully balanced connection direct to the speakers.

Even without dynamik upgrade, it completely transformed the K320a.
Software wise, it seems Linn made their homework and so far the HDMI switching have been faultless. There is a small delay when switching sources, but that is about it. The ability to handle a multitude of inputs and take out the need for a preamp made the KDSM the right choice for me. Connected to my living room TV and speakers and KDSM is used all day long by all the members of my family. That aspect of the KDSM made the investment much easier to "sell" than a KDS/1 or renew would have been.

So Audioman, I believe your next step might be to trade in the ADS/1 and KK/1 towards KDSM as well. You should at least allow yourself to consider and evaluate that solution using balanced silvers directly to your speakers.
Audiman

Post by Audiman »

Hi

Thank you for sharing your findings with your KDSM. However your last suggestion to trade in ADS/1 + KK/1/D for a KDSM is not likely to happen. First I do not mix music with other media secondly after having spend (to) many hours at my dealer I find that if (or more likely when) I update my system it will be a KDS (latest version) the gain in going the KDSM route is not worth the cost from where I stand.

But for now I am a very happy camper....

Bo