We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Trampolin advice

Post by Lego »

Hey guys whats the story with the trampolin 2 placement.Questions;
1)Is a tramp2 with keel on shelf better than no tramp and keel on light table,if so why and what shelf sounds best?
2)A gent who has been setting up my deck on and off for 30 years suggests a level light table with a small block of wood braced between the wall and the back of the table so that the 2 back legs are off the ground so you have three points of contact 1 with wall and the 2 front legs with floor.Any comments?

Thanks for your time

Leo
I know that tune
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Leo,

1) I think this also applies without the Keel in the equation and it's a question that has been around as long as the Trampolin itself. As I have always understood it, the Trampolin is intended for use on the LP12 where it is to be located on heavy furniture, fixed shelving etc. Linn still advocate placing an LP12 without Trampolin on to a light rigid table. Whether a Tramp on shelf is better or worse than no tramp on a table will depend upon the properties of the shelf, the table and floor beneath the table. I don't believe there are hard and fast rules, but I would not be looking to put a trampolin on to a table which stood on a sprung floor. I personally use a Trampolin on to a built-in wall cupboard with very good success. I upgraded to the Trampolin 2 last week in the same position and consider it to be a significant upgrade. I would suggest that you try both if they are options open to you.

2) Again, this solution may be ideal in your intended location, assuming the table held this way remained very rigid and stable. My personal preference would be to not trust several thousand pounds worth of turntable to a surface that was anything less than secure.

'Troll
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Trampolin advice

Post by Lego »

Thanks 'Troll there are a lot of variables,i wasn't sure about the keel but the improvement i heard with the tramp 2 there is no doubt I'll be saving up for the keel.With that kind of outlay i want to make sure the deck is at its best.I compared my deck to a keeled ekos se etc ,both were on light stands on a wobbly wooden floor(linn were doing the demo!?),bass was a problem on mine but with the keeled yin it wasn't an issue

Leo
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree with Moomins comments. What complicates the evaluation of the 2 options - Trampolin or Solid board - is that both the support (table or shelf) and the floor/walls come into the equation. And in addition to that, any sub-frequency producing loudspeakers will affect the various setups differently.

The position of the LP12 in the room is also a factor - best is to avoid corner positions, but if you need to put it in a corner, some setups might work slighly better than others.

So far my impression is that rigid wall shelves or very stable and heavy furniture with Trampolin/2 produces the best possible sound, but I have friends that still use Ikea Lack and Solid baseboard and those LP12's sound great too. If you have wooden floors, foot fall problems are common with floor placement and a good reason to use a wall shelf + Trampolin.

I can't comment on 2) Lego, because I have not tried this. It does sound like it's easy to remove the wooden block and go back to normal 4 leg support, so why not ask the gent to show you how to do it and then you can evaluate it yourself?
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

One additional thing - I've just noticed that my stylus is picking up more fluff on some LPs with this new Tramp. A sure sign that the deck is working better - the stylus is tracking better.

'Troll
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Here comes that fluff issue again! :)

It was recently suggested in another thread that a worn Akiva would pick up more dirt than a good one. Now you are suggesting that better tracking gets more fluff get picked up? You can't both be right, so I remain sceptical.

It might have to do with spring weather, when you keep doors and windows more open, causing dust to whirl up more and eventually stick to the records? I don't know, just a suggestion...
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Ekos 1

Post by Lego »

Sorry guys its me again.I have the old ekos 1 and the problem i have always had with it since day 1 is that after i have balanced it at 0 grams a few weeks later i check again and at 0 grams the arm is almost at a 45 degree angle and so have to balance it all over again; is that also the case with the ekos 2 or the se for that matter as i think my arm is affected by varying room temperatures.
Going back to the dust on needles i think its due to sticky grime on the stylus that picks dust along the groove ,a bit like good cholesterol !?..My deck was also picking up more dirt after the tramp 2 but i think that was down to the linn guy playing his dodgy old grubby 80's albums;lps pressed in the 60's and 70's dont seem to have that gunge on them that later ones have...

Thanks again

Leo
I know that tune
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Leo,

do you mean that if you have had the counterweight off and back on, that you have to rebalance it after a few days and then it's OK?

I can't remember if this was specific to the Ekos 1, but I do remember that it was possible to get some "creep" from the rubber insert in the counterweight as it was such a tight fit and that rebalancing after 24 hours of initial setup was a good idea.

'Troll
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Used a Ekos I for 8 years and no issue. Actually this is the first time I hear any issue re Ekos...

Relax, dust will not hurt the records.
As long as the record isn’t (mis)treated by cleaning, protecting liquids, using brushes etc, just remove the dust and use greenstuff now and then to keep the diamante in shape.

Keeping the house clean and put the records back FAST in their sleeves after the usage is a good start to avoid dust :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!