We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:Charlie1 has just told me what I should say about these two latest clips: “I agree with Charlie1!”.
Oi! I said nothing of the sort! I just said it was easier than the last few clips and I used one of your methods for judging.
Well, I had to write something. I look like a fool here. ;-)

lejonklou wrote:I came to think of one thing:

Thomas, what app are you using when recording on the iPhone 8? I'm asking because I've found that on my iPhones, up to model 7 (never tried 8 or X), the video recorder has always sounded better than recording sound only. Not sure why, it has just sounded more convincing and revealing with video.

I have also made it a habit to switch on flight mode, to prevent most other activities by the phone during recording.
I do the same and agree with Lejonklou about the video mode. It is as if the video recording mode is using a “simpler” and less intrusive way to convert the music into “bits”.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:
beck wrote:Charlie1 has just told me what I should say about these two latest clips: “I agree with Charlie1!”.
Oi! I said nothing of the sort! I just said it was easier than the last few clips and I used one of your methods for judging.
Well, I had to write something. I look like a fool here. ;-)
No one is a fool in the playground ;)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Other than being a kind remark it is actually a very precise description of the situation in here. As we all more or less still scratch our heads in quiet disbelief that these recordings can actually tell us something about our systems ability to produce music worth listening to.
It is however clear to me that without these recordings I would never have come near what I know now.

Just to mention one thing: hifi systems (and recordings) often seperate the timing of the events in the music ever so slightly just to show the listener everything more “clearly” at the expense of the musical message.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:I don't think you will have a difficult time with these two - Debbie said it took one note...
Since it only took one note, was Debbie's preference for the B, or between the A & the D .. or was it a $100 note? (BAD joke ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Allright, a lot to cover here, so get ready for a long post! First an older bit of business with tokenbrit. I'm glad to hear you are politically correct and like The Beatles! ;-) I probably was just reading too much into your comment "I know I struggle more when the track/genre, or sound are less to my liking". While I am dealing with tokenbrit I will also say that Debbie liked B better. You know how women are, they tend to cut through all the Hi-FI crap and just go for the music. On the other hand she still thinks I'm crazy for giving up the ATCs as those were her favorite.

Now to Fredrik, how do you pick up on these subtle things just on a hunch? I did not use the video recording on the iPhone 8+. I thought why use up the bandwidth when I am trying not to show what I'm recording anyway. I found a program called Voice Record Pro that was free and highly reviewed and I used it for all the iPhone clips. It is easy to use, allows you to precisely trim clips and upload them directly to dropbox. (I should mention here that I normally don't have enough room on dropbox to put up this many clips. But I signed up for a 30 day trial of the business version. I don't regularly use it enough to pay for that so most of these clips will disappear in about 23 days.) In addition I didn't want the tripod (sans kitty litter) to partly block the mics so I turned the phone around to face the system - maybe this isn't a good idea? Gee, all you want me to do now is to redo the clips with the Apple video app and also with the Canon camera and probably try turning the phone around too! Since I go on vacation in little more than a week I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

And then Fredrik brings up the subwoofer! Yes, it was on in both clips and yes, it might not be perfectly integrated in one of them. By way of explanation, here comes the big reveal! The first clip is the JBLs and JBL sub as they are normally in my system. The second clip is a different pair of speakers but not Isobariks. They are something else I am trying out. They are a revolutionary speaker designed by a brilliant man with the goal of overcoming many of the problems of normal drivers in a box. They are really quite the speaker and are looking likely to become my next speaker and quite possibly my last one. They are known as the Quad Electrostatic Speaker! (Note SJ and SQ.)

They are often also called the Quad ESL57 in honor of the year they came to market. Yes, this means they had their 60th anniversary last year! The Quads are something I owned back in 1979 and 80 before I bought my first pair of Isobariks, which at the time I thought were better. But the pair I had back then had been damaged so I wasn't hearing what they could do. I was also limited by the electronics and sources of the time. For some time I have had the desire to pick up a clean pair just to hear what they could do with a modern LP12 and Fredrik's wonderful electronics. Last August a pair came up near me that looked relatively clean, were said to be in perfect operating condition and were pickup only in a location a few miles from my house. They were reasonably priced so I bid and won them. It was actually not until a few months ago that I got around to hooking them up, after popping them open and making sure they were in proper operating condition (they are although the cosmetics, while OK, aren't quite as clean as I thought).

I hooked them up after having listened to the JBLs with Simon over, having had them plugged into AC for a few days so they would be fully charged. It was an immediate WOW for both of us. Simon liked them from the start and felt they got a fair bit better after playing music for 45 minutes, which I agreed with. He left at 8:00PM and there was a piece playing on the streamer that I wanted to hear so I sat down. 3.5 hours later I noticed it had gotten dark and I might be playing a bit loud for the neighbors! Since then this scenario has been oft repeated as they just draw me into the music. Last weekend when I made several of these clips Simon was there. We did the Radikal ones and then I said I wanted to try something else. So I played the Quads, switched to the JBLs and switched back to the Quads. Now Simon wants me to get him a pair of Quads and is trying to figure out how to afford a Klimax Radikal. (Meantime, I am getting in some feet so he can flip his AR over!)

I did mention that this wasn't a totally scientific comparison, just an interesting one. There are a few reasons for this. Both speakers are in the room together. When I am playing one pair the other is plugged into a Tundra that is powered up but not connected to a preamp so as to damp the drivers. I don't even know if this has any effect when the Quads aren't playing but it makes a big improvement when they are. The JBLs are positioned in as optimal a position as I can in the room. The Quads are placed approximately where they are supposed to sound the best and have had a little moving around to get good music from them but they have not been fully tune method positioned as I won't be able to do that with the JBLs in the room due to the equipment layout. The JBLs are on OFIL stands, the Quads have been on a couple different stands and are currently on sturdy plastic milk crates!

The JBLs are very well integrated with the subwoofer, the Quads are also being used with the sub but the integration might be improved. Since they are much less efficient I had to turn the sub all the way down, but it still may not be low enough. It is also possible that another frequency might suit them better although their low frequency extension is about the same as the JBLs. Although sometimes I feel like the bass might be just a touch too much, I still like them better overall with the sub on. I also believe that the sub, being quite clean and fast, is likely to be one of the few that could keep up with the Quads. I still have the Dahlquist crossover so I will be able to try different frequencies when I get that far. But getting the Quads optimally setup up will, of course, precede that.

What I have found, even with the limitations noted above, are that the Quads have made me want to listen to music more than I have in a long time. For some time I have kept the streamer running 24/7 to keep the system warmed up for when I want to sit down and play a record. With the Quads I found a few things have changed: 1) It sounds so good I keep getting pulled into the room to sit down and listen to something only to find I am still there sometime later, as noted above. 2) Tracks on the playlist I think about skipping over I end up listening to and fully enjoying because they are so musical and fun. 3) (And here is the biggie) It sounds so good I often don't get around to playing a record because I just want to hear this latest track that just started! In the room when I was making the clip Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, we both felt the Quads were easily more musical than the JBLs. To me the JBLs sounded like a very good recording, the Quads sounded like John Lennon!

There will be more reporting as I get this all more organized. I have talked to a dealer/friend where they are big Quad fans and still keep a pair on the store (along with a pair of Isobariks) and have gotten some good ideas. They found that the best stands of all they have tried in the last 30+ years are Isobarik stands. They also feel that the ideal height is about 10" off the floor (Isobarik stands are 11", as are the milk crates which do sound easily better than the 13" wooden stands I custom made in 1979). I have this hunch that a shortened Ofil x677 stand might be just the thing and have already run the idea past Anders. It occurs to me that, if I end up with these as I expect I will, the LP12 will only be the second most iconic Hi-Fi product in my system. I'll let you know how it all goes. And I'll have to see about some more optimized clips!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

More clips, the first already posted earlier, here again for convenience - Quads on 13" stands, second new on 11" milk crates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rl0t7hzhxlo0 ... 2.MP4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs8y5i7skjj5d ... 3.MP4?dl=0

Another clip for beck, same as 13 but a clip he liked a lot on the JBL system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nv8yhnuk1slj ... 4.MP4?dl=0

All recorded with the Canon camera.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: .. Debbie liked B better.
B as in A-B; SJ-SQ; jBl-quAD so the 57s? Or B (vs AD) as in the jBls?
(I did say it was a BAD joke :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A quick initial response: my favorite clip 2 and your new clip 13 I both like better than clip 12 (clip3).

I can follow your exitement about the Quad 57 although I do have a weekness for the less “fiddly” sound from the jbl.

The Quad sound could be a good way to get over some of the digital streaming weeknesses (you enjoying it).

Your new clip 14 is a tad too soft sounding for me. I think I would have liked it best with the Sondek on the heavy stand using the jbl’s.

I do get it. I can hear what you like about the Quad’s. They are a step in the same direction as I was trying to point out with the heavy stand (clip 2) but of course also different.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounds like a new version of Clue. "It was the Sondek on the heavy stand with the JBLs!"
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote:Sounds like a new version of Clue. "It was the Sondek on the heavy stand with the JBLs!"
:-)

What I really like is the rediscovery of old technic and equipment. We humans always have a tendency to think that we are the most clever people in a long line of ever growing cleverness. That is not the case. Most of what we do is just a rediscovery of what other people have thought about long ago.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I do agree with that. I had always thought that if I had unlimited funds, which I definitely don’t, I would put together a system with Quads, a Marantz 7c preamp and 8b poweramp and a vintage turntable (I don’t think I could really go without an LP12, but maybe an early configuration). Just so I could demonstrate to people how little progress most Hi-Fi has made.

Indeed I initially bought these with the idea I might set them up in a second system to play around with it more. But it doesn’t look like it will end up that way. Also the TMs are quite possibly the perfect amps for these speakers, which makes it hard to consider other alternatives.
The LP12 Whisperer
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Whilst we’re talking about alternative speakers, I heard a pair of Larsen 8’s at a HiFi show just recently and thought that they were a speaker definitely worth hearing again. They were demonstrated with a combination of equipment unknown to me, and they sounded quite musical. A friend of mine is very interested too, and we’ll be going along to our local stockist to have a listen later in the year. Given that they are made in Sweden and designed by ear by a musician, I’m wondering if any of the Swedish locals have heard them?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

The good thing about a forum like this is that people can read ones comments and not feel any obligation to feel the same way or think the same.
The clips make it possible to have a discussion and agree or not. Everybody reading and listening can make up their own mind. That makes it a lot easier for me to narrow down my own preferences.

You have made a great series of clips and I would like to end my comments by making it clear that your clip 2 is special to me for the following reason.
It is the one clip from you where I feel the musical timing being fully natural (nothing sounds mechanical). This clip makes it possible for me as a musician to understand every part of the music the same way as when playing myself. I feel the person behind every instrument. I can hear when they are slightly out of sync and when they really hit the groove together.

Why is this important to me?

Well, I have found it to be the only way to determine if the system acts without changing the timing. I am also dependent on using an analog recording with real humans playing to make this test.
The same I can say about pitch relations. The real test is if the system can reveal when musicians are out of tune. Do I detect a slight discomfort in myself and do I pick up un the distress being communicated when it is a deliberate act from the musician.

What do I get out of a system that plays like this?

I get a sound that might not be the most impressive but it makes me connect with the music every time I put on a record. There is also a density present when the “sounds have been aligned” I find enjoyable.
I am even enjoying my cd master vinyl records despite their “faults”. They sound nice and polite and lacks human density but I soon forget it and just listen.

Thank you for the clips Thomas. It has been great listening to them. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote:The first clip is the JBLs and JBL sub as they are normally in my system. The second clip is a different pair of speakers but not Isobariks. They are something else I am trying out. They are a revolutionary speaker designed by a brilliant man with the goal of overcoming many of the problems of normal drivers in a box. They are really quite the speaker and are looking likely to become my next speaker and quite possibly my last one. They are known as the Quad Electrostatic Speaker! (Note SJ and SQ.)
Huh!

I haven't heard Quad ESL 57 in many years, but I remember it sounding rather sweet. I have however more recently installed and listened to the latest top-of-the-line Quad electrostatic. I felt it was excellent, perhaps unsurpassed, on micro dynamics, but lacks macro dynamics. With that I mean that all the small details seem to be highlighted and very faithfully reproduced, while all the louder passages are held back and coloured in a rather unconvincing way.

Not that I have any intimate knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the original ESL is in fact the most homogenous and musical of all electrostatics. It lacks deep bass and can't play very loud, right? And it's easy to break and hard to repair. Perhaps those limitations are what they tried to fix with their later models, but then lost the musical qualities of the original?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

In the lower sensitivity camp (like Quad ESL57) these are the most musical speakers I ever listened to:

http://www.leedh-acoustic.com/Loudspeak ... -e2-uk.php

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:In the lower sensitivity camp (like Quad ESL57) these are the most musical speakers I ever listened to:

Matt
Interesting!

Never heard or even seen those.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:The first clip is the JBLs and JBL sub as they are normally in my system. The second clip is a different pair of speakers but not Isobariks. They are something else I am trying out. They are a revolutionary speaker designed by a brilliant man with the goal of overcoming many of the problems of normal drivers in a box. They are really quite the speaker and are looking likely to become my next speaker and quite possibly my last one. They are known as the Quad Electrostatic Speaker! (Note SJ and SQ.)
Huh!

I haven't heard Quad ESL 57 in many years, but I remember it sounding rather sweet. I have however more recently installed and listened to the latest top-of-the-line Quad electrostatic. I felt it was excellent, perhaps unsurpassed, on micro dynamics, but lacks macro dynamics. With that I mean that all the small details seem to be highlighted and very faithfully reproduced, while all the louder passages are held back and coloured in a rather unconvincing way.

Not that I have any intimate knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the original ESL is in fact the most homogenous and musical of all electrostatics. It lacks deep bass and can't play very loud, right? And it's easy to break and hard to repair. Perhaps those limitations are what they tried to fix with their later models, but then lost the musical qualities of the original?
As part answer to your question I am quoting a summation about the Quad ESL written by one of the rebuilders. I am doing so because it is one of the best descriptions I have seen.

"The Quad ESL (Electrostatic Loudspeaker) was introduced in 1956. It was a truly amazing speaker for the time, and is still a product to be reckoned with today. Dubbed "Walkers Wonder" after Peter Walker, head of Quad and designer. Many people, myself included, believe that it is the one of the most faithful and natural midrange transducer ever made. At the frequency extremes, it also holds up well, the treble is never spitty or tizzy. The bass is fast and clean without ever being boomy, it only goes down to about 40 Hz, so the bottom octave is missing. Production of the original ESL stopped in 1981 shortly after the introduction of the newer ESL63. Over the 25 year production run, approximately 60,000 speakers were made.

But the original Quad ESLs also have some downsides. First, they are fragile. They need about 15 Watts of the best amplification you can get your hands on. If you use a larger amplifier or try to overdrive the speakers, you risk arcing. Arcing occurs when the potential across the stator panels is sufficient to ionize the air and spark across the gap and through the membrane. Arcing will ruin the panels, if it occurs enough times or is severe. The Quads will play up to about 100 dB, which is much louder than I play music even when playing loudly. The second downside is that they are a difficult load for the amplifier to drive. They are highly reactive loads (primarily capacitive). Their impedance drops as the frequency increases. This makes the Quad ESL a bad choice for single ended tube (SET) amplifiers.

The Quads have a very directional radiation pattern, so you have to position them carefully for best performance. Lastly, they, like all old British things, are quirky and temperamental. Living with a set of Quads is like living with an MG. You will have to do work on them from time to time. Like an MG, when working well, they are a true joy to use. Unlike an MG, after a rebuild, Quad ESL's will work well for decades, if not abused."

To break the myths, yes, the ESL can be blown up by too much power. But they are an electrostatic so this happens when too much voltage is fed to them. In the case of the 57s this limit is 33 volts (or 34 depending on who you talk to). Over that you arc the panel, under that and you won't damage them. The Tundra Mono has a maximum output of 26 Volts peak to peak - it will not overdrive the Quads and you can crank it up all you want. Will it ply loud? Well you wouldn't use it to run a disco in a large hall, and I doubt I could make the helicopter at the beginning of Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2 sound like it is about to land in the room. But I do like to play loud and I really like to play some King Crimson and Porcupine Tree loud and one King Crimson song I really like to play loud is Starless from Red. I put that on a week ago and cranked it way up, it was so loud I turned it down 2dB because it was more than I wanted - even though it was still plenty clean. So I'm not worried about loud.

The Quads are hard to drive - yes indeed, a highly capacitive load that drops to under two ohms at some frequencies. This is enough to blow up amplifiers that aren't very stable and has been known to do so in the past. But good amps the likes of units from Linn and Naim, for example have no problem and Fredrik's amps are extremely stable. So no problem there. I said the TM 2.2s might be the ideal amp for these - completely stable, able to give them as much power as they can use yet unable to overdrive them and the best sounding amps I have ever heard - what could be better?

The Quads have no highs - just plain false. They do have useable output to 20kHz and are a bit more extended than the JBLs. What they don't have is any brightness or sibilance, just a smooth, pure high range. What they also have is very limited horizontal dispersion. So you won't hear the full extension unless you are right on axis. And I do mean RIGHT on axis. They do still sound lovely elsewhere in the room but if you want the full extension you need to be in the center - they are speaker size headphones!

The Quads don't have any bass - also false. They don't go below 40Hz, pretty much just like the JBLs, but they also have absolutely no bloat so they only play bass when there is bass in the recording. They also play it with a level of tonality and deftness that is very rare.

The ELS 63s were intended to play louder, be more robust and handle more power as bigger amps were becoming more popular in the late 70s and they were released in 1981. But they are also completely different. They use a main panel with 7 annular rings that are driven so as to make the sound ripple out from the center to behave as if there is a point source a couple feet behind the speaker. The whole idea of the point source is a great idea and makes for much wider dispersion. It is also a one way speaker, also a good idea and it has additional bass panels above and below the main panel to extend the lows and handle more power. But in order to do this it has to use some very complex display lines to drive the rings at different times. I haven't been able to find the truth about these lines out but I have read thet they may contain 12 to 14 KM of wire! They might not but otherwise they still have to use a lot of wire in the six coils for front and another six for the back to make the inductance to create the delays.

I have never been impressed by the musicality of the ESL 63 or any of the newer QUAD ESL models, all the way through the present ones, which use the same delay system as the 63s just with upgrades to structural rigidity and electronics (and in the case of the bigger models, two additional bass panels). To me they remove some of the "listen through to the musicians" quality that I hear on the original ESL. I believe they are the victims of their own cleverness and complexity. In terms of electrostatics the original Quad ESL seems to still reign supreme. It should be an interesting trip!
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks, interesting stuff!

I bought, serviced and sold a couple of ESL 63's in the 1990's. Never felt much for them. Then I remember visiting a customer in Uppsala and replacing his electronics - he had a pair of ESL 57's. They sounded much gentler, more laid back and made quite a musical impression on me. But already back then they were considered very old and hopelessly difficult to service.

I'm happy you found a good pair, Thomas! But I seriously doubt they will be your last pair of loudspeakers.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:
matthias wrote:In the lower sensitivity camp (like Quad ESL57) these are the most musical speakers I ever listened to:
Matt
Interesting!
Never heard or even seen those.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/leedh/1.html

I heard them at High End Munich 2016, best sound of the show.

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: I'm happy you found a good pair, Thomas! But I seriously doubt they will be your last pair of loudspeakers.
+1,
good luck, Thomas!

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Listening again I am slowly connecting more to the Quad sound. It seems fuller and denser than the Jbl sound. It sounds more “real”. I think I am getting it and would only change the Sondek stand to “heavy” (or maybe radikal first?).

I forgot to say that your system is really able producing some good music and if this standard was common people would all be happier with their hifi. Good luck and have a nice vacation.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote:More clips, the first already posted earlier, here again for convenience - Quads on 13" stands, second new on 11" milk crates:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rl0t7hzhxlo0 ... 2.MP4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs8y5i7skjj5d ... 3.MP4?dl=0
There's something that differs between these two clips that I suspect might be unrelated to the stands: The second (13) sounds kind of compressed. Could it be just the stands (construction and/or height) producing this effect?

I actually prefer the first clip (12) but get a feeling that 12" (in between the height of the first and second stand heights) could be the ideal height. I might of course be totally mistaken, especially since the stand constructions are probably completely different, but the feeling I get is that the slight bass separation of the first clip and the slight compression of the second points towards an ideal height in the middle.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I also like clip 12 more than 13.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote:Listening again I am slowly connecting more to the Quad sound. It seems fuller and denser than the Jbl sound. It sounds more “real”. I think I am getting it and would only change the Sondek stand to “heavy” (or maybe radikal first?).

I forgot to say that your system is really able producing some good music and if this standard was common people would all be happier with their hifi. Good luck and have a nice vacation.
I was going to mention that the clip you liked the best, where you said that Fredrik and I had really nailed it, was with the Quads and the heavy stand. I still do intend to investigate that stand more, that was just a quick comparison in a series of LP12 surface comparisons.

Thanks for all the other comments everybody. You may all be right about them not being my last pair, but you never know. I did live happily with Isobariks for 24 years and ATCs for 11 after that. When the rest of the system is as good as mine is, any good speaker sounds great on the end of it. I find the idea of 12" interesting. Of course, we have 11" plastic crates and rather unusual (and not super rigid) custom wooden stands and both are sitting on an area rug so neither is ideal. Some friends in Chicago who are big on Quads say closer to 10" is the ideal, but they aren't tune method devotees. They have said that the best stands they have ever heard Quads on, and they have tried a lot, are original Isobarik ones, which I will have to try. Much is still left that can be optimized but currently I find that they are so enjoyable I am really interested to hear what happens once I have gotten the best out of them.

An interesting thing with QUAD ESL is the state of getting a good pair. It seems that they might have followed the trend of vinyl records. A couple of decades ago they were already getting old and you couldn't get parts for them. Now there are at least five different places that work on them including QUAD Musikwiedergabe GmbH in Germany who bought the original tooling from Quad and makes brand new ESL speakers as well as refurbishing the old ones and the Quad II amps. But there are three rebuild specialists in the US and Canada all of whom have been rated by ELS57 connoisseurs as rebuilding panels that are indistinguishable from originals. The one who I talked to started the whole ball rolling and his prices are quite reasonable. So it is no longer difficult to have a pair of Quads performing as they did when new, just like it is no longer hard to find vinyl.

I took a weekend off from messing with Hi-Fi to catch a movie and dinner with a friend and spend time in the garden and with Bella. No new clips because of this. Next two weekends I'll be in Los Angeles and a busy weekend with tokenbrit after I get back so it may be a while before new clips. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote:
I was going to mention that the clip you liked the best, where you said that Fredrik and I had really nailed it, was with the Quads and the heavy stand. I still do intend to investigate that stand more, that was just a quick comparison in a series of LP12 surface comparisons.
Thank you for clairifying. I think I am back on track now. :-)
Playing cd’s…………