New design of Linn Akurate components?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Music Lover wrote:We spent 5 hours with the new DS, Kontrol and 2200 yesterday and compared with old ADS/AK and KDS/KK on A242mkII
First, they look better than on the pics but still not as classy or unique as I like a Linn product to be. (Klimax and LK)

And now to the important side of it, performance.
Both the DS and Kontrol have taken massive jumps compared with the mkI units (both musicality and sound). The Kontrol is still beaten by the KK by a huge margin in all aspects but ADS is shockingly good!!!! :shock:

Some additional comments;
- For the first time a full Akurate system (ADS/AK/A2200) is good enough for the VERY demanding A242 speakers. Finally!
- We didn’t have time comparing 2200 mkI with mkII so please don’t ask. And nobody cared either to be honest…
- During the last weeks I have seen some new Oak and Walnut speakers. The jury wasn’t out for even a sec. Walnut = ugly close being appalling. Oak = very nice but unfortunately not as good looking as the alternatives on 80s/90s Linn speakers. As a side note, the “Cherry mkII” (darker and with more texture) is a nice improvement.
Good information, thanks for the update... 8)
Tony Tune-age
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

monkeydevil wrote:Also, they did upgrade the KK, but NOT the KDS recently. So maybe nothing is coming to the KDS?

Intriguing thoughts - and forgive me for truncating part of your post, monkeydevil. General consensus seems to be that the KDS will have to be improved upon now that the ADS/1 is considered so close to the original KDS. That much we already know - or atleast expect to happen. Question is, when.

As to the earlier part of your post, I'm merely ruminating here, but Linn's 40th anniversary is just over a year away. I wonder if they will launch a significantly upgraded top-of-the-range line to commemorate the occasion.
monkeydevil wrote:So it is a bit odd that they would release an improved Akurate range first. Either they have not implemented these enhancements at all in the Klimax range development, or they have but for various (market?) reasons launch the Akurate updates first. I can’t see the benefit of this though. Wouldn’t it be better to update the Klimax gear first? So no one gets disappointed and so on.

Music Lover, big thanks for a very informative post on the new range.
Music Lover wrote:And that on ALL aspects; musicality (and sound which was a HUGE surprise). I was somehow prepared that the musical performance could be good given some indications from others but not THIS GOOD. But definitely NOT prepared on the Klimax sound.

And also for your feedback on the new speaker finishes.
Music Lover wrote:Walnut = ugly close being appalling. Oak = very nice but unfortunately not as good looking as the alternatives on 80s/90s Linn speakers.

I was pleased to hear that Linn had reintrodced the Walnut finish; and then somewhat disappointed when they posted a photo. Of course, these things need to be seen up close, but the Walnut grain seemed far too exaggerated compared to my mid-90s walnut Keilidhs.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

kds

Post by anthony »

The KDS did receive an upgrade with the Dynamik, and for some Cara was considered better.

I have seen walnut 242, they look good, but its all personal taste.
The new stands are an improvement as well.
rock&roll

Re: kds

Post by rock&roll »

anthony wrote:The KDS did receive an upgrade with the Dynamik, and for some Cara was considered better.

I have seen walnut 242, they look good, but its all personal taste.
The new stands are an improvement as well.
I have walnut 242s and 212s on demo. I prefer maple, but most clients like the deep color and darkness of walnut.
R&R
moog_man

Re: kds

Post by moog_man »

anthony wrote:The KDS did receive an upgrade with the Dynamik

The Dynamik upgrade was across the board on (almost) all Linn products. I should have elaborated when I said "a significantly upgraded top-of-the-range line" - I was referring to the Akurate press release which states that the updated range, "features a completely re-designed Akurate DS player which incorporates the latest DS functionality and performance."
rock&roll wrote:most clients like the deep color and darkness of walnut.
I'd really like to see a set of Walnut cabinets in the flesh before making any firm decisions. Stating the obvious here, naturally. My current speakers are discreet and elegant in their walnut finish. On an oak floor, they blend beautifully.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Apparently there are two hundred high gloss colors available for the new Linn Akurate speakers. But it would make sense to see how they look in person, before actually making a choice :!:
Tony Tune-age
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Apparently there are two hundred high gloss colors available for the new Linn Akurate speakers. But it would make sense to see how they look in person, before actually making a choice :!:
There are colour sample sheets for retailers. It's not as good as viewing fully lacquered speakers in person, but I bet that even in Saudi Arabia they haven't got ie. Majik 109s in all colors. :wink:
R&R
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

rock&roll wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Apparently there are two hundred high gloss colors available for the new Linn Akurate speakers. But it would make sense to see how they look in person, before actually making a choice :!:
There are colour sample sheets for retailers. It's not as good as viewing fully lacquered speakers in person, but I bet that even in Saudi Arabia they haven't got ie. Majik 109s in all colors. :wink:
Good point about Saudi Arabia...maybe they don't have the Linn Akurate speakers in all two hundred colors 8) .

I wouldn't pick an Akurate speaker color, before being able to see how it looks in person :!:
Tony Tune-age
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Not even the Camouflage? :shock:
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

moog_man wrote:Not even the Camouflage? :shock:
Hmmm...most tempting indeed :!: 8) :lol:
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The new high gloss colors are available on all Linn speakers except the Unik so the Majik and Klimax are included as well. As for being able to see the colors on actual speakers - good luck! It isn't likely for even Linn to have a sample of each color on actual speaker cabinets, much less any dealers. There is a color swatch book available for dealers to purchase that shows all the industry standard colors available but that is as close as you are likely to get to actually seeing what it looks like. Linn could come up with an interactive web page allowing you to see a photo of a speaker in each of tha colors but it would really be of limited usefulness as not only are computer images not a good representation of real world colors but the color quality of computer screens varies widely. The colors are likely to look completely different on screen than on a speaker. The swatch book is really the best way to get an accurate idea of the color.

Also be aware that custom color speakers tend to have really poor resale value as you have to find a customer wanting that particular color. We took in a $30,000 pair of maroon speakers on trade and it took over a year to sell them and they only went for $6000!

As to the 40th anniversary, I don't think it likely Linn would do a new top end range. But the Komri replacement and the next upgrades to the LP12 (or at least an anniversary edition) would certainly be possibilities, as would a new Akiva.

I do think that some of the upgrades that were made to the Akurate DS will be made to the Klimax DS as well. I think Linn just wanted to refresh the Akurate line first as some units (read Akurate Kontrol) were a little old and tired and IMHO not all that well positioned in the first place. Coming out with an updated Klimax DS would take some of the attention away from the Akurate updates which Linn really wanted to emphasize and I believe rightly so.

This does leave them with the problem that KDS sales may slip in anticipation of the new version so it leaves them a little between a rock and a hard place. I would personally be surprised if we didn't see a new KDS by shortly after the new year.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Radikal move into the new Akurate case. Not that there would be any musical advantage but more to give it the proper position within the new Linn lineup: Lingo in Majik case, Radikal in Akurate or Klimax case. The Uphorik in new Akurate casework might also make sense. The downside would be if the casework change caused these units to increase in price radikally :wink: as it did on the Akurate power amps - especially if there isn't a significant musical benefit.
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

ThomasOK wrote:The downside would be if the casework change caused these units to increase in price radikally :wink: as it did on the Akurate power amps - especially if there isn't a significant musical benefit.
I found that the new Akurate amplifilers sounds better than a previous version. The circuity looks familiar, but it can be some small changes that makes a difference. New casing is also better I suppose, just like the sound difference between A. Radikal and K. Radikal.

IMHO Komris was the best looking speakers from Linn. Ok, Klimax looks good too, but Komris was so similar to 'ol linn design' Keltiks and Isobariks. I like the look of the old, huge monitors on stands. Maybe in future there will be an Komri SE or Komri Klimax. :wink:
R&R
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

rock&roll wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:IMHO Komris was the best looking speakers from Linn. Ok, Klimax looks good too, but Komris was so similar to 'ol linn design' Keltiks and Isobariks. I like the look of the old, huge monitors on stands. Maybe in future there will be an Komri SE or Komri Klimax. :wink:
That would make sense, most all of the Linn components seem to be moving in that direction... 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:The new high gloss colors are available on all Linn speakers except the Unik so the Majik and Klimax are included as well. As for being able to see the colors on actual speakers - good luck! It isn't likely for even Linn to have a sample of each color on actual speaker cabinets, much less any dealers. There is a color swatch book available for dealers to purchase that shows all the industry standard colors available but that is as close as you are likely to get to actually seeing what it looks like. Linn could come up with an interactive web page allowing you to see a photo of a speaker in each of tha colors but it would really be of limited usefulness as not only are computer images not a good representation of real world colors but the color quality of computer screens varies widely. The colors are likely to look completely different on screen than on a speaker. The swatch book is really the best way to get an accurate idea of the color.

Also be aware that custom color speakers tend to have really poor resale value as you have to find a customer wanting that particular color. We took in a $30,000 pair of maroon speakers on trade and it took over a year to sell them and they only went for $6000!

All good points Thomas...certainly worthy of consideration :!:
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
rock&roll wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:IMHO Komris was the best looking speakers from Linn. Ok, Klimax looks good too, but Komris was so similar to 'ol linn design' Keltiks and Isobariks. I like the look of the old, huge monitors on stands. Maybe in future there will be an Komri SE or Komri Klimax. :wink:
That would make sense, most all of the Linn components seem to be moving in that direction... 8) .
I'm sorry but you wrongfully attributed that quote to me when it cane from rock&roll. While I obviously am a fan of "huge monitors on stands" as is made obvious by my ATC 100s in the living room and Isobariks in the home theater, I, personally, would never describe the Komris as attractive. I only saw them in the flesh a couple of times but I have to admit I find them homely at best. Something about the overall dimensions makes them look dumpy to me and somewhat like an undersized refridgerator (they even have a handle :wink: ).

I do like the looks of some of the more modern, slimmer speakers (look no further than the Sonus faber Amatis for the definition of gorgeous in speakers) but I'm afraid I'm a function over form kind of guy. :)
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

I think that the maple Komris with silver pods are one of the most beautiful speakers in the world. Maybe their WAF isn't as high as graphite SF Amatis, but I don't like the "sliced wood" effect like on nearly all Sonus Faber speakers. I still have to find any SF combination that plays the tune better than my system, regardless of price. SF has some overblown and slow bass. That isn't too accurate. :wink:
I like the design of PMC IB2, all classic ATC SCM monitors and Komris. Big, British (or Scottish) monitors.

Back to the topic. Maybe after release of new Akurate Kontrol, there is any chance to bring out new Majik Kontrol.
R&R
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:I'm sorry but you wrongfully attributed that quote to me when it cane from rock&roll.
Good point, I didn't look close enough at the post...sorry 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

rock&roll wrote:Back to the topic. Maybe after release of new Akurate Kontrol, there is any chance to bring out new Majik Kontrol.
That is a good question. Considering the Akurate Kontrol was recently upgraded, that would be all the more reason for Linn to retain the Majik Kontrol as an entry level stereo preamplifier. As such, there would be a reasonable sonic difference between the Majik Kontrol, Akurate Kontrol and Klimax Kontrol. Plus the price difference between each preamplifier would be logical compared to their sonic performance. (Just a thought)
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Has there been any official report by Linn regarding the new Akurate Radikal case being available for the original Akurate Radikal, or the new Akurate Uphorik case being available for the original Akurate Uphorik, as an upgrade option :?: The new Akurate Kontrol case can not be fitted to the original Akurate Kontrol.

ThomasOK thought the new case would not be available for the original Akurate Radikal or Akurate Uphorik.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

So far Linn is saying that there will not be a metalwork swap available for the Radikal or Uphorik. There is not, nor will there be, a case swap for the Akurate Kontrol or the Akurate DS because the electronics and control board are different so there is no practical way to make the AK or ADS circuitry work in the new enclosure. Just a look at the back panel of the AK vs. that of the AK/1 will give you a good idea of the problems involved.

Linn does have a program to convert older Akurate or Chakra 200 amps to the new metalwork as the circuitry is all the same. However, you need to have purchased a new ADS/1 or AK/1 for them to do it and it costs $950US plus shipping for the changeover.

While I think it should be physically possible to make this change to the Radikal and Uphorik I certainly don't think it would be worth it from a musical point of view even if Linn did offer it.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the information ThomasOK, with all the Linn changes and upgrades recently it does help to have some idea of what to expect :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:So far Linn is saying that there will not be a metalwork swap available for the Radikal or Uphorik.

While I think it should be physically possible to make this change to the Radikal and Uphorik I certainly don't think it would be worth it from a musical point of view even if Linn did offer it.
There was a member on another forum that said Linn will change the Akurate Radikal and Akurate Uphorik case, but the units have to be shipped to Glasgow via local dealers. However, the case replacement includes the Dynamik power supply. The cost is fairly high, and the main advantage for the newer case is looks.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:So far Linn is saying that there will not be a metalwork swap available for the Radikal or Uphorik.

There was a member on another forum that said Linn will change the Akurate Radikal and Akurate Uphorik case, but the units have to be shipped to Glasgow via local dealers. However, the case replacement includes the Dynamik power supply. The cost is fairly high, and the main advantage for the newer case is looks.
Yes, I saw this post which was made by a dealer in the UK - it wouldn't be the first time they received the information before we did. :( Linn do have a case swap for Akurate power amps which runs $950 so I imagine it would be about the same for a Radikal. The change does require shipping to the US Linn distributor and back which would likely be on top of the case cost. Since the official announcement is supposed to be tomorrow hopefully we will all know then.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:

Yes, I saw this post which was made by a dealer in the UK - it wouldn't be the first time they received the information before we did. :( Linn do have a case swap for Akurate power amps which runs $950 so I imagine it would be about the same for a Radikal. The change does require shipping to the US Linn distributor and back which would likely be on top of the case cost. Since the official announcement is supposed to be tomorrow hopefully we will all know then.
Well, all I really need is the Dynamik power supply for my Akurate Radikal. If I were to spend extra money on the new case design (which I'm not), it might be better just to purchase the Klimax Radikal instead - although it wouldn't be black :( .
Tony Tune-age
highflyer

Post by highflyer »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
rock&roll wrote:Back to the topic. Maybe after release of new Akurate Kontrol, there is any chance to bring out new Majik Kontrol.
That is a good question. Considering the Akurate Kontrol was recently upgraded, that would be all the more reason for Linn to retain the Majik Kontrol as an entry level stereo preamplifier. As such, there would be a reasonable sonic difference between the Majik Kontrol, Akurate Kontrol and Klimax Kontrol. Plus the price difference between each preamplifier would be logical compared to their sonic performance. (Just a thought)
I agree with you both so that Linn will have a complete Majik range. I think it's just a matter of time.

I do like the functionality of the new AK, with a phono stage, headphone connection, and both balanced and RCA connections, and the case looks much better than before, although not as good as the Klimax case of course, but it is something I would feel proud to display none-the-less.

ThomasOK -- Your review of the new AK was very informative, so although the sound of the new AK has improved a lot, it still is a long way from KK sounding. It still is pricy though. Perhaps all the functionality hurts the sound a bit, but it sure is nice to have those things. Additionally, perhaps getting away from the multi-channel aspects (and other additional circuitry) helps the sound too. All in all, it seems like a good product.

I think it's interesting that Linn is getting away from multichannel and focusing on high quality 2-channel. I'm for that!