DSD (and OPPO)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Matt!

Very interesting. I will for sure investigate this a bit further. I used to be under the impression that conversion from PCM to DSD was a waste of time, but I haven't actually tried it.

My findings in general regarding digital is that the less one converts or manipulates the signal, the better the musicality is preserved.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you Matt!
Very interesting. I will for sure investigate this a bit further. I used to be under the impression that conversion from PCM to DSD was a waste of time, but I haven't actually tried it.
My findings in general regarding digital is that the less one converts or manipulates the signal, the better the musicality is preserved.
My pleasure Fredrik,
100% of all ADC-Chips and 99% of all DAC-Chips are SDM(DSD) based. So it makes sense to NEVER convert DSD to PCM.
PCM will be converted to SDM in the DAC-Chip anyway. So it makes sense to convert PCM to DSD.
The algorithms in a chip are much inferior to the algorithms in a high quality audio player. So you get a much better musicality by using the combination of audio player and computer. The drawback of this musicality is that you need a computer with a lot of processing power.
IMO with a DSD to PCM conversion you are loosing the typical "musical wholeness" of DSD, DSD converted to PCM sounds like PCM, PCM converted to DSD sounds like PCM too.
But the advantage of PCM converting to DSD128 or DSD256 is that the final conversion to analog is less demanding.

Matt
stefan

Post by stefan »

Since I have an Oppo 105 (not D) I downloaded some samples, Ella Fitzgerald and CSN
http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm
Put on an USB stick and into the front USB input of the Oppo. It doesn't say on the webpage but I assume they are DSD64 since my understanding is that this version of 105 can't play DSD128.

The DSD-files are louder, went from say 55 to 64 on the Linn preamp to get the same level on the PCM files. That can trick you but my opinion is that I prefer the DSD files but the difference in tunedem is not that big.

The big difference though is to put the PCM files on the NAS and play them through my ADS/1. Not a fair comparison since ADS is on a better shelf and have a better cables. Yeah, one could quite easily swap but I don't think I bother as matter likely won't change.

By all means, do get an Oppo 105. They are great for everything with pictures and gives a good sound to it but you won't play music on it if you own a Linn DS. The original 105 is discontinued, replaced by 105D, but if you find one you probably get a good deal.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

OPPO HA-1

Post by matthias »