Preamps with DSs

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Preamps with DSs

Post by donuk »

With regards to the preamp debate, I had a mad thought: tell what is wrong with it:

We learn from Linn that the output level, when set to 80 when internal streamer volume control is switched off. We are told that even when the internal volume control is switched off, all the digital "signal" goes through exactly the same circuitry. We are also shown graphs of the noise floor being way below the 80 level. Critics of the internal volume control argue that reducing the signal below 80 bring the resulting audio nearer the noise floor. Which is why external attenuation is preferred.

So what happens if you set your streamer to 100, using of course the internal volume control. Then disable handset controls on your streamer, then connect a preamp. Is not the audio entering your preamp going to be even more removed from the noise floor?

The only concern I have is that the preamp will get overloaded. Maybe 85 or 90 might be safer.
Can somebody develop this idea further, test it out, or explain the folly of my thinking.
Donuk sunny downtown York...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Preamps with DSs

Post by lejonklou »

First of all I'd like to point out that designing for the lowest possible noise is a mistake. A fundamental mistake. Just like designing for the lowest Total Harmonic Distortion. Or lowest InterModulation distortion. What counts is which design and settings result in the most musically satisfying performance. And this will at times coincide with the lowest noise, THD, IM etc. But other times it will not.

Secondly, when Linn preamps - digital or analogue - are at volume 80, they are neither attenuating nor amplifying the signal. So unless Linn have added amplification after the DAC, 80 should be the level where the DAC is delivering full output. I honestly don't know how they increase the volume beyond that without signal compression. Perhaps someone can share more details around this.

The most musical way to do it, in practice and in my experience, is to let the DAC deliver its nominal output (which means: full blast) and then amplify or attenuate the signal with precision to the desired level. Which is what you do when feeding a Sagatun with a Linn DS set to fixed level output.