New design of Linn Akurate components?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

New design of Linn Akurate components?

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I've noticed on a few websites' where the Linn Akurate DS seems to have a new case design. Is anybody aware of recent changes to the Linn Akurate DS or other Akurate series of components?
Tony Tune-age
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

Do you have a link please?

Yes, a change is apparently in the works.
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=8342
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

monkeydevil wrote:Do you have a link please?

Yes, a change is apparently in the works.
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=8342
Thanks for the Linn forum link Monkeydevil 8) . That is a very informative forum, perhaps I'll join eventually.

I noticed an audio website from either Germany or Japan, which had a picture of the Linn Akurate DS along with written material, but couldn't read the article. It did look similar to the Klimax components. I wonder if the newer case style will have an improvement on the way they sound :?: If so, it could be worth changing the existing Akurate component casings with the newer version.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Talked with my Linn Technician regarding the redesign of Akurate components 8) . Apparently, the newer Akurate design will sound better than the current units. And according to other sources, there will be some price increase as well, approximately $100.00 more for the Akurate DS, and approximatley $1,000.00 more for the Kontrol (United States).

So, only time will tell how significant the new design changes are compared to the current design.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

According to comments on the Linn forum, the new ADS has the same hardware as current KDS, so only the case differs.

Spoke to someone briefly that's heard the new ADS and they said it's really really good. So your pricing info suggests it will be good value for money - in the context of the other players.

Ref AK, I would have throught they'd lower the price now that the MK is no longer in production, but I guess they are pricing on performance.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:According to comments on the Linn forum, the new ADS has the same hardware as current KDS, so only the case differs.

Spoke to someone briefly that's heard the new ADS and they said it's really really good. So your pricing info suggests it will be good value for money - in the context of the other players.

Ref AK, I would have throught they'd lower the price now that the MK is no longer in production, but I guess they are pricing on performance.
Considering the new Akurate Kontrol case is now similar to the Klimax, no doubt it costs more to manufacture. And if it does sound better, there probably is a cost increase for that as well. However, with the new Akurate Kontrol costing more - there certainly won't be an entry level stereo preamplifier...for now anyway. (Not that the original Akurate Kontrol was entry level priced.)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

As I shared with Tony, Linn are somewhat dribbling out the information on the new Akurate range. There is a Linn news article on the new products:

http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2010/10/rev ... m.php#more

where they are also posting some teaser photos (3 at the time I posted this).

As you can see from the photos, the new chassis design has thicker metal top and sides which extend past the back of the case to hide the connectors (like the Klimax gear) - a not universally loved feature. The front panel is more sculpted and features the layout of six chromed buttons (three on either side of the display area) familiar to KK owners. Although it is hard to tell from the photos I have also been told the display area is larger. Hopefully that larger display area is being put to good use.

Electronically there are some changes as well:

Akurate DS features a new audio board design
Akurate Kontrol is a new design from the ground up and is stereo analog only. Rumor has it that the KK/1 dual-mono volume control arrangement will be carried over to the new AK
Akurate power amps will feature the new casework but will have no electronic changes.

Due to the nature of the changes involved it is unlikely that older Akurate units will be upgradeable to the new models as too much would have to be changed. The power amps could be an exception as only casework changes have been made. Although it has not yet been stated clearly it appears that there may be no new Akurate Tuner. Linn may stop making tuners altogether and rely instead on internet radio.

Pricing is still very vague and we have not yet been given new pricing. However, all the conjecture should end fairly soon as Linn has promised to release full information on October 19th.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Now up to five photos including a partial of the power amp front panel. it appears they are adding one new teaser photograph a day.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:Now up to five photos including a partial of the power amp front panel. it appears they are adding one new teaser photograph a day.
Perhaps in an effort to get a head start on sales... 8)
Tony Tune-age
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

Linn had posted photo of new Akurate (fully visible front) but you have make some effort to find one. I bet the new financial year would be very good, not only because DS became more and more popular, but also that many people (and retailers) will upgrade to a new Akurate products.
I'm in better situation, because they won't replace Klimax soon in a near and even far future ;)
R&R
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

So, where's the link? :)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:So, where's the link? :)
Good question...I haven't been able to see a complete picture anywhere :!:
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:As I shared with Tony, Linn are somewhat dribbling out the information on the new Akurate range. There is a Linn news article on the new products:

http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2010/10/rev ... m.php#more

where they are also posting some teaser photos (3 at the time I posted this).

As you can see from the photos, the new chassis design has thicker metal top and sides which extend past the back of the case to hide the connectors (like the Klimax gear) - a not universally loved feature.

Pricing is still very vague and we have not yet been given new pricing. However, all the conjecture should end fairly soon as Linn has promised to release full information on October 19th.
Today is officially October 19th, 2010...but haven't seen any additional information or complete pictures of the new Akurate components :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
Nature

Post by Nature »

Tony Tune-age wrote:"...or complete pictures of the new Akurate components."
Have a look in your PM Inbox. 8)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Nature wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:"...or complete pictures of the new Akurate components."
Have a look in your PM Inbox. 8)
Thank you very much for the pictures, I appreciate your efforts 8) . The new design does look nice, although not totally different than the original design :!:
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There are two pics posted on the Swedish Linn forum 'Selleri':

http://forum.selleri.de/viewtopic.php?f ... a&start=43
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:There are two pics posted on the Swedish Linn forum 'Selleri':

http://forum.selleri.de/viewtopic.php?f ... a&start=43
Those look like the same pictures provided by Nature... 8) I still haven't seen any picture of the new Akurate components in the United States :!: Seems like we get certain types of information long after other countries...but it's always better late than never :wink: .
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well Tony, your patience :wink: has finally been rewarded. Linn have put up a news item with more details on the new Akurate products along with links to some new photos.

Since I'm sure most don't to wait any longer than necessary, here are some of the new photos:

We also received the new US prices which are as follows:

Akurate DS $6990 (only a small increase)
Akurate Kontrol $6500
Akurate 2200 $5200
Akurate 3200 $6400
Akurate 4200 $7600

The prices on all but the DS have gone up at lease $800 even though the power amps are using the same circuitry so the new casework is obviously adding a significant expense (although the US prices of Linn components mostly stayed the same while there were increases in other countries and the US dollar has been down recently so some readjustment of prices in this market were probably necessary).

Here is the link to the Linn news page:

http://news.linn.co.uk/news/2010/10/stu ... veiled.php
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm pleasently surprised. They look better than expected. I wonder what the build and finish is like up close.

I can understand Linn wanting to differentiate them, but it's a pain for everyone not into 'systems'. I already have three different Linn boxes - KK, Linto, Akurate Radikal. Now I just need the new-style Akurate 4200 to complete the set :roll:
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I wondered if the standard Radikal case would have to be changed now, but it should still blend well with the new Akurate design... 8)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:I'm pleasently surprised. They look better than expected. I wonder what the build and finish is like up close.

I can understand Linn wanting to differentiate them, but it's a pain for everyone not into 'systems'. I already have three different Linn boxes - KK, Linto, Akurate Radikal. Now I just need the new-style Akurate 4200 to complete the set :roll:
Of course I haven't seen one in the flesh but the metalwork of the top, sides and front appears to be at least twice as thick as it was. I would expect the finish to be a step up as well. I would guess that the more solid case would reduce microphonics somewhat.

Once you get the new AK4200 you would still need to get a Sneaky DS with a Dirak power supply to have the full Linn variety pack! :wink:
Tony Tune-age wrote:I wondered if the standard Radikal case would have to be changed now, but it should still blend well with the new Akurate design... 8)
In a way it would make a lot of sense for Linn to update the standard Radikal casework to the new Akurate look. It would give them a Radikal in Klimax casework, a Radikal in new Akurate casework and the Lingo 3 in Majik casework. However, I'd just as soon they don't do it if it is just going to raise the price $800 with no improvement in performance. (Since Linn claims no performance increase for Radikal in Klimax casework they would have a hard time claiming it with the new Akurate chassis!) At least in the case (pun intended) :( of the Akurate amps Linn is claiming a musical improvement from the new chassis design.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:Of course I haven't seen one in the flesh but the metalwork of the top, sides and front appears to be at least twice as thick as it was. I would expect the finish to be a step up as well. I would guess that the more solid case would reduce microphonics somewhat.
Like you Thomas, my initial thought was that a more substantial case could possibly have an improvement on sonics. Will you be conducting a comparison of the two different Akurate Kontrol units at any point in the future :?:
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:Of course I haven't seen one in the flesh but the metalwork of the top, sides and front appears to be at least twice as thick as it was. I would expect the finish to be a step up as well. I would guess that the more solid case would reduce microphonics somewhat.
Like you Thomas, my initial thought was that a more substantial case could possibly have an improvement on sonics. Will you be conducting a comparison of the two different Akurate Kontrol units at any point in the future :?:
I don't know if we will be able to do that. We don't have a current style AK on demo and I don't know how soon we'll be getting the new one in.

Another photo that just became available of the Akurate Kontrol back panel. Here it is:

I was surprised to see that there are two balanced inputs. As you can see there are also four RCA inputs, one appearing to be marked as 4/PH leading one to believe it has the phono stage built in (this is not clear from the intro documents I have seen). There are also front panel mini jacks for input and headphones with a "lower distortion Class A amplifier for improved performance" driving it. So overall it sounds like a fairly flexible unit.

I am also happy to see the inclusion of an Ethernet port for setup over a network and hopefully for software updates as well. So happy to see the antiquated serial ports going away! :D
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:
I don't know if we will be able to do that. We don't have a current style AK on demo and I don't know how soon we'll be getting the new one in.

Another photo that just became available of the Akurate Kontrol back panel. Here it is:

I was surprised to see that there are two balanced inputs. As you can see there are also four RCA inputs, one appearing to be marked as 4/PH leading one to believe it has the phono stage built in (this is not clear from the intro documents I have seen). There are also front panel mini jacks for input and headphones with a "lower distortion Class A amplifier for improved performance" driving it. So overall it sounds like a fairly flexible unit.

I am also happy to see the inclusion of an Ethernet port for setup over a network and hopefully for software updates as well. So happy to see the antiquated serial ports going away! :D
That's a nice detaled picture Thomas, thanks for the additional information as well :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:In a way it would make a lot of sense for Linn to update the standard Radikal casework to the new Akurate look. It would give them a Radikal in Klimax casework, a Radikal in new Akurate casework and the Lingo 3 in Majik casework.
So I wonder what happens to the Uphorik. Presumably it gets the new casework too. Surely it's more of a Akurate than Majik product?