Post by Lego »

The first ones LK1/LK2
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Linn Isobarik

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Using a set of passive Linn Isobarik speakers, from the ninties and still enjoy their performance. Ultimatley, it's the Sondek turntable that keeps me happy with the Isobariks. As I upgrade the turntable, the speakers continue to sound better. However, the power amplifier being used seems to be a great match for this type of unique speaker design (Perreaux 350P). It could be a long time before I feel the need for speaker replacement.
Tony Tune-age
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

I have had briks for 20 years and active ones for the past three. I am now running mine using a pair of Linn 5125 amps that have had the Dynamik upgrade. They sound fantastic. I am yet to hear a better speaker. I recently upgraded from an Exotik to a Kisto. That was quite a change too and the Isobariks revealed it beautifully. I was speaking to Linn customer services in Glasgow a couple of months ago. The guy there was a brik fan and had only fairly recently sold his pair that had Keltik drive units and were blonde ash - you may have seen them on ebay with SMPS active box. He said that the only speaker he had heard better them were Komris (£32750 a pair).

Love mine.

CJ
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Periodically, there will be various versions of the Linn Isobariks for sale on e-bay and other internet sites. Most people have good opinions about that speaker, and many regret selling them.

In my view, the Isobarik is a very capable speaker and can accomodate the best front end components. If they were still being manufactured and sold today, wonder how much they would cost?
Tony Tune-age
otro5

Isobarik vs Ninka or 242

Post by otro5 »

I have at this moment Ninka triamp with Akurate 4200+2200 Dynamik, AKDS (Dynamik) and KK1 (Dynamik). During some time I was thinking about to buy an Isobarik pair (going Aktive). Finally I has bought a pair of Akurate 242 and add a 4200 to go Aktive in the futur. Wahnt do you thing about the decission???? Are Ninka or 242 better tah Isobarik???.

Thanks a lot
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Isobarik vs Ninka or 242

Post by Tony Tune-age »

otro5 wrote:I have at this moment Ninka triamp with Akurate 4200+2200 Dynamik, AKDS (Dynamik) and KK1 (Dynamik). During some time I was thinking about to buy an Isobarik pair (going Aktive). Finally I has bought a pair of Akurate 242 and add a 4200 to go Aktive in the futur. Wahnt do you thing about the decission???? Are Ninka or 242 better tah Isobarik???.
In many apects the Linn Akurate 242 speaker is different than the Isobarik speaker. Although either speaker can sound very good, it might be worth listening to both before making a decission (if possible). I've never been able to conduct a direct comparison between these two types of speakers. However, I have heard both of these speakers on different systems, and the Isobariks seem to have a better overall bass sound (at least in my opinion). But until I can listen to both of these speakers on the same system, it isn't easy to know which would be a better choice.

The Akurate speaker is really impacted by how it's set-up. Usually it sounds better several inches away from the wall, with straight placement and not toed in like the Isobarik. The speaker stand spike adjustment is important to sound also. And like the Isobarik, they can sound better active, and with either bi-wiring or tri-wiring.

Let us know what you decide...it could be a fun project 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Isobarik

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Using a set of passive Linn Isobarik speakers, from the ninties and still enjoy their performance. Ultimatley, it's the Sondek turntable that keeps me happy with the Isobariks. As I upgrade the turntable, the speakers continue to sound better. However, the power amplifier being used seems to be a great match for this type of unique speaker design (Perreaux 350P). It could be a long time before I feel the need for speaker replacement.

Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very nice system and music room Tony.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Very nice system and music room Tony.
Thanks for the kind words Charlie1 :!: These pictures were taken awhile back, then stored until I could post images on this forum. Both the music room, and my audio system are in the process of being upgraded 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Have you tried placing your LP12 away from the corner? Might bring further improvements...
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:Have you tried placing your LP12 away from the corner? Might bring further improvements...
Yes, the turntable and audio rack location were in the reverse order, originally. However, the turntable was more stable in it's current location. The turntable is actually six inches away from both walls, but looks closer to both walls in the pictures.
Tony Tune-age