Counting down the sleeps until the 345 arrives

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

KingClifton

Counting down the sleeps until the 345 arrives

Post by KingClifton »

Had a stroke of luck financially and rather than one or two small upgrades I was in a position to consider a large upgrade. 5103 -> Kinos was a bit out of my price range, but I've traded in my Akurate 221 sub on an Artikulate 345.

It was a hard decision as I really wanted to either my Espeks go Aktiv, or preferably upgrade my LP12 (new LP12 and my dealer's Ekos).

I'm hoping this is going to really blow me away. The LP12 upgrade was more of a certaintly, but I'm thinking 12 months away when I'll be in a much bigger room, and will really, really want room-filling sub performance. And LP12 upgrades (Ittok -> Ekos etc) are smaller amounts of money, which are likely to happen more often.

So I'm getting antsy and just can't wait until the dealer calls... :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The Articulate 345 is probably the best sub I have ever heard. Much more powerful than the tuneful but rather weak 221.

Try your best to position it correctly, preferably listening to the sub only, using Tune Dem and being very systematic. When correct position in the room is found, go through the filter adjustments and when done, double check the position. Finally turn on the rest of the system and adjust the sub volume to match it. This can take a very long time if you are not experienced or systematic, but it really makes a world of difference. So much that I'd rather have a well installed Sizmik than a really bad installed 345!

Suddenly it struck me that you might get it installed by a professional retailer. In that case, just relax and enjoy! :D
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

King,
have you received/installed your 345 yet? anxious to hear your comments compared to 221
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

Bonzo,

It's an awesome sub. Blows away the 221, as good as that was. It combines good output levels with great musicality.

I did an extensive post on Topica about this, but suffice it to say that this sub simply rocks. Forget about singing along to the tune, you want to dance to it. 2-ch stereo is improved substantially - it's like doing a major system upgrade. Concert DVDs have a whole new level of realism.

I actually set all speakers to Small, so that the amps and speakers aren't reproducing bass below 80Hz. Goes against traditional advice, but works. It means the 5 channels aren't being taxed as much.

Of note, my dealer (who traded back the 221) hooked it up to their demo cinema system (replacing a 10.25) and was blown away with the 221 over the 10.25.