We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-10-31 15:02
Tendaberry wrote: 2022-10-31 14:50 Fredrik, big thanks for your very much valued opinion and advice. The matter isn’t by far closed…
Maybe it’s time to try a gift from a friend?

01CA98E2-A473-4C97-97AB-7718CECFD34A.jpeg
Now those look really promising! :D
Let’s see how promising they are, here’s the next comparison:

A: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jc6n7kssn1ch ... 7.mov?dl=0

B: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqe7gimxkyi9 ... 1.mov?dl=0
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

"A" is hugely different tune wise, actually I'm a little surprised how one of these clips can move me musically and the other not, especially considering the fact that they are so similar "sound" wise, so "A" for me.

The is actually one of the clearest demos someone has posted here that clearly conveys Tune Vs. Sound. ...They both "sound" almost identical but "B' is clearly messed up tune wise. "A" is actually quite enjoyable.
Rega NAIA, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I like A. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

In the beginning I did prefer A, but the more I listen B is just better.
And guys, make sure the video quality is set to 1080p HD. It makes a difference to the clarity and flow of the song.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I think A is better.
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-11-06 18:33 "A" is hugely different tune wise, actually I'm a little surprised how one of these clips can move me musically and the other not, especially considering the fact that they are so similar "sound" wise, so "A" for me.

The is actually one of the clearest demos someone has posted here that clearly conveys Tune Vs. Sound. ...They both "sound" almost identical but "B' is clearly messed up tune wise. "A" is actually quite enjoyable.
Totally agree Spannko and was thinking much the same thing - huge gap for a clip
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A for me.

In B, there is no interplay between the instruments. Going back to A, I feel them helping each other build the song.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

A
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-11-06 23:24
tpetsch wrote: 2022-11-06 18:33 "A" is hugely different tune wise, actually I'm a little surprised how one of these clips can move me musically and the other not, especially considering the fact that they are so similar "sound" wise, so "A" for me.

Totally agree Spannko and was thinking much the same thing - huge gap for a clip
Did you just let slip that Spannko and tpetsch are one, and the same? :? :? :D
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

A
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-07 02:42 Did you just let slip that Spannko and tpetsch are one, and the same? :? :? :D
I can’t deny that we’ve never been seen in the same room together. A bit like Superman and Clark Kent!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-07 02:42 Did you just let slip that Spannko and tpetsch are one, and the same? :? :? :D
:D
Need new glasses for sure!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-06 18:17 Let’s see how promising they are, here’s the next comparison:

Ok, maybe it’s time for the reveal: A (IsoAcoustics) was preferred by all but one. The question is, how do I go on from here?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Remind us, please, Tendaberry: what baseboard do you use under your LP12 - Trampolin?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

This comparison wasn’t for the “feet” under the board of the LP12, but under the ADSM.
The LP12 is on a Quadraspire Sunoko Vent wall rack (maple) with an additional board made from 16 x 0,5 mm Baltic birch boards, 8 mm in total. These are extremely sturdy and lightweight and give way better results, than using just the Quadraspire rack.
For all the other equipment I use a normal Quadraspire rack with the extra birch boards.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 15:13 This comparison wasn’t for the “feet” under the board of the LP12, but under the ADSM.
The LP12 is on a Quadraspire Sunoko Vent wall rack (maple) with an additional board made from 16 x 0,5 mm Baltic birch boards, 8 mm in total. These are extremely sturdy and lightweight and give way better results, than using just the Quadraspire rack.
For all the other equipment I use a normal Quadraspire rack with the extra birch boards.
I just meant the LP12 baseboard - Tramp or solid - not the rack, or additional boards... That was because I thought you were using the LP12, and I was curious whether there was some interaction between LP12 feet & support for the shelves.

Where to go from there, for me, would probably be to get some of the little black feet to try under the Baltic birch boards, without the wooden blocks.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have a Urika 1, so Trampolin it is. But since the LP12 is on a wall shelf, there’s no interaction with the feet used in the comparison.
Just wish I could get hold of the same rubber feet Fredrik is using under his amps…
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 15:43 .. wish I could get hold of the same rubber feet Fredrik is using under his amps…
Have you checked Farnell? Plenty to choose from... :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 13:30
Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-06 18:17 Let’s see how promising they are, here’s the next comparison:

Ok, maybe it’s time for the reveal: A (IsoAcoustics) was preferred by all but one. The question is, how do I go on from here?
And what was B?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-07 16:07 And what was B?
These:
80052A68-C883-47B6-857F-D4A94BB27C08.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 13:30

So what we heard here was one set of IsoAcoustics pads vs. one set of Baktomajik pad/wood block things and the IsoAcoustics pads were obviously more musical in this A/B "of pads vs. blocks" under ADSM on a normal Quadraspire rack topped with extra birch boards. ...Can we now hear an A/B of ADSM on IsoAcoustics (repeat) Vs. nothing under the ADSM but it's own supplied feet and no extra birch board, just ADSM on the standard Quadraspire rack shelf, and all else remaining the same?

Judging one set of pads vs. another set of pads -while interesting & surprising- doesn't get to the bones of how it compares against the standard set up of just ADSM sitting on it's standard feet alone on a standard Quadraspire rack shelf.

What we would do at the shop is to isolate any one piece of gear that we wanted to judge by placing it on a single shelf stand alone Archidee or Audiotech stand the we always used as shop standards, we had dozens of them. This separates a piece of gear from the system so it can be judged on it own merits outside of what the systems stand/rack/wallshelf may add or subtract musically. Then go from there.
Funny stuff!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 15:43 Just wish I could get hold of the same rubber feet Fredrik is using under his amps…
I agree with tpetsch that it would be interesting to hear Quadraspire-only against Quadraspire+IsoAcoustics pads+birch board.

If the latter is superior, as you have said, I'd be happy to send you four of the feet I use for the big cases. If using four of them, they work best for weights between 3 and 5 kg (1 kg on each). Does that fit the weights involved in your setup?

It might matter how far from the corners they are positioned below the birch boards. It's also possible they don't work well at all in this situation. Below my big cases, they need a big washer that supports the entire top surface of the foot and a small washer that makes a contact surface area against the case of 1.3 mm2. The rubber foot alone doesn't sound nearly as good.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-08 01:04
Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-07 15:43 Just wish I could get hold of the same rubber feet Fredrik is using under his amps…
I agree with tpetsch that it would be interesting to hear Quadraspire-only against Quadraspire+IsoAcoustics pads+birch board.
If the latter is superior, as you have said, I'd be happy to send you four of the feet I use for the big cases. If using four of them, they work best for weights between 3 and 5 kg (1 kg on each). Does that fit the weights involved in your setup?
I'll try to make that comparison in the next days, maybe Wednesday. The ADSM weighs 5,8 kg and the board maybe 750-800 g. Will that still work?? Maybe I could make a hybrid with some of the remaining pieces of the boards with the rubber feet screwed into them, using the famous washer?
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-08 01:04
Below my big cases, they need a big washer that supports the entire top surface of the foot and a small washer that makes a contact surface area against the case of 1.3 mm2. The rubber foot alone doesn't sound nearly as good.
So something like this?, interesting. Instantly makes me wonder if a one piece step type washer like this may be an improvement, the ex-PanAm machinist in me looks to improve upon the metal washer stacking, or do you use nylon washers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.