Chakra 5100 vs. 5125

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Chakra 5100 vs. 5125

Post by rowlandhills »

I've just won an auction for a Chakra 5100, which gives me a slight dilemma! I currently have a pair of 5125s, and I'm using 3 channels of each to drive Kabers through a Tunebox. I was planning to use the remaining four channels to drive my Tukans passively and a Centrik actively, when my new house extension is complete.

One of the reasons for buying the 5100 is that it will let me move to internal crossovers when I get another amp (hopefully a 4200), but that's not going to happen for another year or so, and I can't justify keeping the second 5125 until then!

I understand that the 5100 is a better amp than my 5125, so the question is how should I use the channels?

I suspect that using the 5100 on one side and the 5125 on the other would sound a bit weird, so I'm currently thinking of putting four 5100 channels connected to the Tunebox, running the treble and mid on the kabers, with the bass running through two channels of the 5125. I could then use the remaining 5100 channel to run the Centrik passively, and two channels on the 5125 to run the Tukans, leaving one spare channel (I can't run the Centrik aktively unless I buy a Chakra aktiv card, since I have two mono cards intended for the fifth channel of each 5125).

What do people think?

Thanks.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
xanlin

Post by xanlin »

I think that you are on the right track here.
Aim for having the Kabers driven by chakra amps with internal crossovers. I got that (with majik amps) and it is just fanatastic and makes my wonder why there are so few out thare that runs that combination. So if you consider buying new active cards dont waste them on the centrik - go all in for the Kabers.

As a temporary solotion use the 5100 for treble and mid through the tunebox and singleamp the centrik.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

xanlin wrote:I think that you are on the right track here.
Aim for having the Kabers driven by chakra amps with internal crossovers. I got that (with majik amps) and it is just fanatastic and makes my wonder why there are so few out thare that runs that combination. So if you consider buying new active cards dont waste them on the centrik - go all in for the Kabers.

As a temporary solotion use the 5100 for treble and mid through the tunebox and singleamp the centrik.

I have active Kabers with Klout and have often thought about changing to chakra100 amps (the 200-serie is to costly). Nearly everyone I spoke to think that would be an unnecessary sidegrade. Better in some spects, worse in other, particularily it is often said that Klout is better at delivering the bass with some energy (Kabers weak area sometimes is bass level which is less of a problem with Klouts)

Thanks for any input on this!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

majik 100

Post by anthony »

The majik 100s are great with kabers more musical, but you will need new aktiv cards which are also better than the old ones. If you used a 6100 it would also be neater.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hmmm... Assuming you get a good price for your Klouts and old aktiv filters, I would go for it. At least in the UK Klouts seem to sell for quite a lot.

As Anthony says, both the filters and the amps are better performing.

What would you loose? Mainly power. Especially the power supply will be a lot weaker than what three Klouts are able to deliver. The question is whether you play loud enough to notice that?