JBL 308P and 708P

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Discodave
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 340
Joined: 2017-05-18 14:50
Location: Belfast, Ireland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Discodave »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-11-25 19:19
Azazello wrote: 2021-11-25 14:05
lejonklou wrote: 2021-11-25 11:32 * Fine tune the distance to the back wall down to the last mm. This might seem excessive, but often yields the biggest improvements as the music "snaps into place".
Is there any point in evaluating this step separately for each speaker, or should they always have exactly the same distance?
I always tune my speakers both separately and together. The distance to the wall is never identical.

I have never thought about this. Very interesting. My positioning has always been exactly the same from sides/backs. Will give it a go once the JBLs arrive. Cheers
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1087
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Lego »

Discodave wrote: 2021-11-25 19:48
El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-11-25 19:19
Azazello wrote: 2021-11-25 14:05

Is there any point in evaluating this step separately for each speaker, or should they always have exactly the same distance?
I always tune my speakers both separately and together. The distance to the wall is never identical.

I have never thought about this. Very interesting. My positioning has always been exactly the same from sides/backs. Will give it a go once the JBLs arrive. Cheers
..and can't wait to read that review :0)
I know that tune
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 340
Joined: 2017-05-18 14:50
Location: Belfast, Ireland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Discodave »

🤣
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-23 00:34
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-22 18:52 Have you ever heard Kali LP 8 or Kali LP 6 Jajo? I'm interested in them purely they're a breakaway from JBL and seem to be going after the same market as the JBL 3 series.
Unfortunately no.
I'll trial the Kali second wave soon via Amazon sale or return (free).

For those who can't obtain a set of JBL 308 MK1 it may be interesting. Kali is a JBL spin off company with the most relevant feature being it's based around Charles Sprinkle who designed the JBL 3 series mark one. Now that may have no delightful end result in the Kali's being as musical a speaker as the JBL 308P but it's worth a trial. Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P (mission accomplished) but that doesn't mean they're speakers with the same musicality as the 308P. We'll see.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1080
Joined: 2018-02-14 22:35

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Defender »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 05:08
jajo wrote: 2021-11-23 00:34
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-22 18:52 Have you ever heard Kali LP 8 or Kali LP 6 Jajo? I'm interested in them purely they're a breakaway from JBL and seem to be going after the same market as the JBL 3 series.
Unfortunately no.
I'll trial the Kali second wave soon via Amazon sale or return (free).

For those who can't obtain a set of JBL 308 MK1 it may be interesting. Kali is a JBL spin off company with the most relevant feature being it's based around Charles Sprinkle who designed the JBL 3 series mark one. Now that may have no delightful end result in the Kali's being as musical a speaker as the JBL 308P but it's worth a trial. Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P (mission accomplished) but that doesn't mean they're speakers with the same musicality as the 308P. We'll see.
lets see but thats already the wrong focus (Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P) maybe he was lucky and created a better speaker even though he had the wrong focus.
cortina
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 88
Joined: 2011-09-05 05:13

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by cortina »

Defender wrote: 2021-11-27 11:30
lets see but thats already the wrong focus (Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P) maybe he was lucky and created a better speaker even though he had the wrong focus.
Unless he suddenly developed an interest in messuring, I am guessing he probably also measured and optimized the 308P but (still?) made a good speaker. Either he combined it with good ears or it included a portion of luck. Could happen more than once. Sounds like JBL has been a rather lucky company lately though..
Lego
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1087
Joined: 2007-04-18 11:42
Location: glasgow

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Lego »

cortina wrote: 2021-11-27 16:21
Defender wrote: 2021-11-27 11:30
lets see but thats already the wrong focus (Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P) maybe he was lucky and created a better speaker even though he had the wrong focus.
Unless he suddenly developed an interest in messuring, I am guessing he probably also measured and optimized the 308P but (still?) made a good speaker. Either he combined it with good ears or it included a portion of luck. Could happen more than once. Sounds like JBL has been a rather lucky company lately though..
What makes you say that Cortina,have you heard a vast array of jbl speakers ,please share your knowledge
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

cortina wrote: 2021-11-27 16:21
Defender wrote: 2021-11-27 11:30
lets see but thats already the wrong focus (Charles Sprinkle wanted to design the Kali's to measure better than the 308P) maybe he was lucky and created a better speaker even though he had the wrong focus.
Unless he suddenly developed an interest in messuring, I am guessing he probably also measured and optimized the 308P but (still?) made a good speaker. Either he combined it with good ears or it included a portion of luck. Could happen more than once. Sounds like JBL has been a rather lucky company lately though..
The design process at JBL and Kali is well documented. It seems to be a combination of measurement and listening. The JBL 3 series was designed for studio monitor use so measurements were important.

Sprinkle also designed the JBL 7 series.

I'm happy for JBL and Kali to use this process if a highly musical speaker emerges from time to time. The Kali's might not have musicality - that's for ears to test :)
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1654
Joined: 2007-12-25 16:47
Location: Germany

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by matthias »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 17:56 Sprinkle also designed the JBL 7 series.
Do Kali offer speakers with compression drivers like the JBL 7 series?
Thanks
Matt

LP12 / Exposure / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1700
Joined: 2008-01-24 21:46
Location: North East of The Black Country, UK

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 17:56 I'm happy for JBL and Kali to use this process if a highly musical speaker emerges from time to time.
Ha ha. Throwing all the components into a box and withdrawing them at random will definitely “from time to time” produce the best speaker ever produced.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2021-11-27 21:57
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 17:56 I'm happy for JBL and Kali to use this process if a highly musical speaker emerges from time to time.
Ha ha. Throwing all the components into a box and withdrawing them at random will definitely “from time to time” produce the best speaker ever produced.
Hardly what they're doing.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

matthias wrote: 2021-11-27 18:02
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 17:56 Sprinkle also designed the JBL 7 series.
Do Kali offer speakers with compression drivers like the JBL 7 series?
Thanks
Not at the moment. Their product range has grown quickly but let's see if they're making musical speakers first.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1700
Joined: 2008-01-24 21:46
Location: North East of The Black Country, UK

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Spannko »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 22:11
Spannko wrote: 2021-11-27 21:57
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 17:56 I'm happy for JBL and Kali to use this process if a highly musical speaker emerges from time to time.
Ha ha. Throwing all the components into a box and withdrawing them at random will definitely “from time to time” produce the best speaker ever produced.
Hardly what they're doing.
It’s the “time to time” element I’m referring to. A reliable method should produce a good speaker every time - not by luck, like an infinite number of monkeys with oscilloscopes!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2021-11-28 00:26
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-11-27 22:11
Spannko wrote: 2021-11-27 21:57

Ha ha. Throwing all the components into a box and withdrawing them at random will definitely “from time to time” produce the best speaker ever produced.
Hardly what they're doing.
It’s the “time to time” element I’m referring to. A reliable method should produce a good speaker every time - not by luck, like an infinite number of monkeys with oscilloscopes!
The JBL 3 series is designed for studio monitor use. The 7 series was designed for broadcast and post production use. The 3677s were designed for home cinema or commercial cinema use. JBL isn't designing these products for domestic audiophile use. The sales of the JBL 3 series and 7 series to their intended markets have been huge and they've had acclaim for their intended use.

That a fair number of these speakers display musicality for audiophiles is the "luck" element. The frequency of that "luck" element seems to be fairly high judging by the number of members of this forum who have bought one or more pairs.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 591
Joined: 2007-01-30 21:59
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Azazello »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-08 04:02 The best JBL speaker I ever heard is the JBL 4675C (probably, because of their size I haven't been able to compare them directly to 308/708P but I trust my gut feeling here).

There are probably many fantastic speakers in their lineup but there are also many that aren't performing (like the 3678, 4722, 3722, new 2xx-series that replaced 3677). So JBL is not a brand that can be generally recommended (like most brands).
Have you listened to 4670D? Seems like it could be an semi-reasonable alternative to 4670C, but still better low frequency response than 3677. :)
User avatar
jajo
Active member
Active member
Posts: 184
Joined: 2007-01-19 15:08
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by jajo »

Azazello wrote: 2021-11-30 13:23
jajo wrote: 2021-11-08 04:02 The best JBL speaker I ever heard is the JBL 4675C (probably, because of their size I haven't been able to compare them directly to 308/708P but I trust my gut feeling here).

There are probably many fantastic speakers in their lineup but there are also many that aren't performing (like the 3678, 4722, 3722, new 2xx-series that replaced 3677). So JBL is not a brand that can be generally recommended (like most brands).
Have you listened to 4670D? Seems like it could be an semi-reasonable alternative to 4670C, but still better low frequency response than 3677. :)
Yes, but not in a reliable environment unfortunately. My gut feeling is that they are not something to go for.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 340
Joined: 2017-05-18 14:50
Location: Belfast, Ireland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Discodave »

Have just had these delivered over the weekend. Currently using xlrs running from Kisto.

Can anyone recommend a musical pair of xlr leads? Not too dear as I currently need 6m per channel.
Cheers
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 1630
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by tokenbrit »

Discodave wrote: 2021-11-30 14:53 Have just had these delivered over the weekend. Currently using xlrs running from Kisto.

Can anyone recommend a musical pair of xlr leads? Not too dear as I currently need 6m per channel.
Cheers
Not from experience, just from research while considering 308s myself: have you looked at Mogami cables? They didn’t seem too expensive for longer lengths, and they’re a known brand that’s good enough to be used by Linn for one of their tonearm cables, if I remember correctly… I had thought they’d be worth a try if I’d gone ahead with the 308s especially since the Mogamis are available from Amazon, over here, with free returns…
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 340
Joined: 2017-05-18 14:50
Location: Belfast, Ireland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Discodave »

Thank you kindly. I saw them and you are right, not too dear. A friend lent me his Van Dammns over the weekend and sounded great but I have no comparable experience with xlrs so thought I'd go straight to the horses mouth :)
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 591
Joined: 2007-01-30 21:59
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Azazello »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 13:59Yes, but not in a reliable environment unfortunately. My gut feeling is that they are not something to go for.
4670 and 4675 seem to share all components exempt the horn (but with the same driver), and a different setting on the filter. It does seem like they should be really similar unless the horn itself is really critical?

Also it seems like it should be possible to use the 4675 setting (800 hz) on the 4670 (should be 630 hz) if the filter setting is an issue? I guess that the idea is to offload some work from the HF driver to be able to play 4675 louder?
User avatar
jajo
Active member
Active member
Posts: 184
Joined: 2007-01-19 15:08
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by jajo »

Azazello wrote: 2021-11-30 17:12
jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 13:59Yes, but not in a reliable environment unfortunately. My gut feeling is that they are not something to go for.
4670 and 4675 seem to share all components exempt the horn (but with the same driver), and a different setting on the filter. It does seem like they should be really similar unless the horn itself is really critical?

Also it seems like it should be possible to use the 4675 setting (800 hz) on the 4670 (should be 630 hz) if the filter setting is an issue? I guess that the idea is to offload some work from the HF driver to be able to play 4675 louder?
The horn IS the secret with 4675C.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 591
Joined: 2007-01-30 21:59
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Azazello »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 18:04The horn IS the secret with 4675C.
😭
User avatar
jajo
Active member
Active member
Posts: 184
Joined: 2007-01-19 15:08
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by jajo »

Azazello wrote: 2021-11-30 18:09
jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 18:04The horn IS the secret with 4675C.
😭
😍

Image
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 744
Joined: 2018-08-28 11:10
Location: Scotland

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by FairPlayMotty »

download (2).jpg
Single guy speaker? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 591
Joined: 2007-01-30 21:59
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: JBL 308P and 708P

Post by Azazello »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 18:13
Azazello wrote: 2021-11-30 18:09
jajo wrote: 2021-11-30 18:04The horn IS the secret with 4675C.
😭
😍
They are so big!! It NUTS.

Do you seriously believe that 3677 is better than 4670?
Post Reply