Linn downloads vs. Linn CD's

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

cremona

Post by cremona »

Music at Home wrote:
cremona wrote:Enyway i downloaded the various artist album from linn in studio master kvality well sounds great but the music is horrerble so havent had the erge to download it other formats.

Havever i have done ALOT of comparisons with well known and loved music in 320 files vs flac files and the the difference is that the flac files gives better seperation and air around the instruments/ and musicians.
Cremona,

I make no apologies for the music in the Linn record store but the Barb Jungr track isn't bad and the Messiah track is sublime - I might even be tempted to buy the entire thing (although I'm not sure if the Studio Master is worth the extra :wink:).

Can I not persuade you to be the first to take up my 89p challenge? In fact, forget about the 89p, what about the free sample files?

Fredrik - have you compared any of the high resolution tracks on Linn's web-site with the CD quality versions? Any thoughts?

I surthenly will

But i need to get back my klimax kontrol first , its in for the 2008 upgrade,

Right now im only using digital volume kontrol on my majik ds and since im listning at around 40/50 im greatly reducing the kvality of a 24 bit track.

But il do it when it returns next week

all the best
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Please let us know what you think of your updated Klimax kontrol when you get it back!
cremona

Post by cremona »

I will :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: The highest resolution files seem a bit better, but I haven't experienced it as night and day.
What is night and day for you?
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good question. :)

It can be rather difficult to determine if a difference is big or small. Much easier to say if it's better or worse - we can usually agree on that and then one person will perceive it as "big" while another will feel it's nothing major.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:Good question. :)

It can be rather difficult to determine if a difference is big or small. Much easier to say if it's better or worse - we can usually agree on that and then one person will perceive it as "big" while another will feel it's nothing major.
Agree, that is the reason I normally compare with other products.
Example; the difference was like product A --> product B... or similar as the difference between Unidisk SW's..or as having a cable in correct/wrong direction...

The tests I made on mp3, CD and master resulted in different results, up to the difference Akurate DS --> Klimax DS.
But sometimes rather small, as cable direction. THAT is however not often!
It's all about musical understanding!
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I have Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem". One copy is from Chesky Records "Women of Song" 16 bit. I've recently downloaded "The Raven" 24/96 from HDTracks which has the same song.

The 24/96 is definitely bettter sounding. The Chesky recording is Very Good and has been a long time favorite of mine. Would I know the difference completely blind? In an A-B comparison - yes. Just hearing one cut alone with a day or more since listening - probably.

Would I pass on material because it's not available HD? - Not if I liked the music. ex. Jon Strong "Follow Me", but then I do have this on LP.

I listen to random playlist of hundreds of songs and most of the time when something catches my ear in the "who's that" way it turns out to be the 24/88 or better recordings.

I would dare to say the difference is like when you can hear a string bass from directly in front vs. the side. The harmonics just make a little more sense.