Majik DS & Exotik+DA vs. Akurate DS

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Majik DS & Exotik+DA vs. Akurate DS

Post by rowlandhills »

I've got the opportunity to get a fairly new Exotik+DA (not an upgraded analogue Exotik, but one of the very last ones before rebranding to Akurate Kontrol).

However, if I replace my AV5103 with the Exotik, I won't be able to afford an Akurate DS, but only a Majik DS. While "Source first" would seem to indicate that I should go for the Akurate DS, I also want to optimise AV sound, which means I want blu-ray with HD audio outputs. This can only be done through the Exotik (since the AV5103 has no 5.1 channel inputs).

Can anyone give any thoughts on which would be better way to spend £3500, Exotik+DA and Majik DS, or Akurate DS?

As a reminder, my current system is:

Naim CD 3.5 (heavily modified)
Philips SA963 DVD player
AV5103
AV5125x2
Aktiv Kabers
Aktiv Centrik
Passive Tukans
REL Quake

Many thanks for any opinions.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Do you need the digital inputs or the phono stage of the Exotik+DA? If the answer is no, I would suggest getting an analogue Exotik. They can be found quite cheap, probably much cheaper than the Exotik+DA you have been offered. I recently compared an early analogue Exotik with a brand new Akurate Kontrol and the Exotik was slightly behind in performance, but nowhere near the difference in price.

Since you need 5.1 input for your AV, it seems to be a trade off between the AV system and 2-channel performance from your DS. No doubt Akurate DS+5103 will sound better, but the Majik DS is pretty good too. :)

How would you rank the importance of listening to the DS versus enjoying the AV system?