Amplification options

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Amplification options

Post by Charlie1 »

Peter Lanky wrote:One further point I'd overlooked earlier. Before my Majik-i, I had an Exposure pre and power amp combination which although it gave an excellent sound, produced a background hiss that annoyed me when there was no music playing. The big difference when I acquired the Majik-i was the complete silence when no music was playing. Can I expect the same from a Boazu?
I used to own an Exposure XV integrated amp so I know what you mean. All subsequent Linn and Lejonklou (Kikkin pre-amp, Tundra) kit has been dead quiet. Can’t specifically speak for the Boazu though.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Peter Lanky wrote:Before my Majik-i, I had an Exposure pre and power amp combination which although it gave an excellent sound, produced a background hiss that annoyed me when there was no music playing.
Yes, my Exposure 13 MC Phono is a little bit "hissy" as well, but not the 21 Pre with 4DR Power when listening with the high sensitivity 3677s (at volume 9h which is very loud).

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Peter Lanky wrote:One further point I'd overlooked earlier. Before my Majik-i, I had an Exposure pre and power amp combination which although it gave an excellent sound, produced a background hiss that annoyed me when there was no music playing. The big difference when I acquired the Majik-i was the complete silence when no music was playing. Can I expect the same from a Boazu?
Yes, it's very quiet.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote:All subsequent Linn and Lejonklou (Kikkin pre-amp, Tundra) kit has been dead quiet. Can’t specifically speak for the Boazu though.
That’s been my experience with LK series Linn amps, AK/1 preamp and all my Lejonklou amps.

Just put my ears to the Komponents which are hooked up to my Boazu in the bedroom - pin drop silence.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Raylogic

Post by Raylogic »

Peter Lanky wrote:I couldn't justify the Sagatun/Tundra option on price, so if I did make a move it would have to be the Boazu. I'm sure I would find the speakers inadequate anyway with the former, and be tempted to spend even more.

I shall have to take a listen when I'm nearby somewhere that stocks them, which would probably involve a trip to Carlisle. I'm guessing that there is no way of operating with this option without the addition of a further remote control (or the old fashioned getting up out of the chair and pressing the buttons).
Hi Peter

If you do decide to take a trip to Carlisle then Peter Tyson are at a new site, very nice store everything under one roof with a couple of demo rooms.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Raylogic wrote: Hi Peter

If you do decide to take a trip to Carlisle then Peter Tyson are at a new site, very nice store everything under one roof with a couple of demo rooms.
I hadn't realised they'd moved. A bit out of the way now from the town centre when walking though.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Can I just check something gents please?

Are you suggesting that changing the Majik to a Boazu will improve the sound or the musicality?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm suggesting that musicality will be improved. The sound is a bonus.

For clarity, I've not heard a demo of Boazu vs Majik-I. But I do know that Boazu preamp section is (at least) a match for AK/1, which is in turn better than the preamp section in Majik-I. And the power amp section of Boazu should be way ahead of the Majik-I.

I have heard an ADSM direct into 4200 into 109s. Switching off DVC, removing the 4200 and using a Boazu was a big lift in musicality and sound. Boazu is not as good as Sagatun and Tundra but it's not that far behind and ridiculous value for money.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Raylogic

Post by Raylogic »

Peter Lanky wrote:
Raylogic wrote: Hi Peter

I hadn't realised they'd moved. A bit out of the way now from the town centre when walking though.
Yeah, probably best to do after the city centre it's about a 8 minutes walk (they have parking on site).
- Linn [placeholder], M6100 (active), M140, K400.
- BT Homehub 5, Netgear GS105, [placeholder].
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

Ho,

Hopefully one day I'll have time to try a boazu. I think it should play brilliantly with my Harbeth...

Best regards,

Jo
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (Frank Zappa)

Just Listen
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

JoDeKo wrote:Ho,

Hopefully one day I'll have time to try a boazu. I think it should play brilliantly with my Harbeth...

Best regards,

Jo
It will!
Harbeth M30.1 here with Sagatun and Tundra stereo
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

Yes, I´m quite sure, but I have to test the item before I buy.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (Frank Zappa)

Just Listen
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Update. After considering all the options, I now have a Boazu along with my KRDS1 and M140s. Sounding good :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Nice!

You could try single wiring, next time you're twiddling your thumbs and curious.

Have you thought about the 2db cut too? Easy enough to do. I found it more engaging. Maybe a bit less natural sounding to my ears but I wasn't too bothered by that. I suppose if you don't like it then it's a bit annoying but I was able to simply push the stiff wires back in contact when I wanted to compare.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Charlie1 wrote:Just one more point on the 140s, I know we try to emphasis the musical side of any advice, but I was surprised by how much more controlled the bass is on my 140s when upgrading from 4200 to Tundra Stereo. I'd always assumed the 140s were just quite ill-defined in this area due to cheap drive units, but actually, they are capable of reproducing bass instruments in a very well controlled and tuneful way. Whereas, previously, it was not always easy to hear what bass notes were being played - it was a kind of deeply resonate melee, albeit pleasant enough.
Absolutely spot on the money. They're good speakers and boazu will make you think you've gone out and bought new speakers too.
I've only just changed mine after upgrading all my Lejonklou units. I have the 2.5 to consider but might sit on it for a while yet. See what Sweden's hifi genius comes up with next.
I'm glad to see that you bought a boazu, a very good upgrade especially for the cash vs musical return.
I'd definitely recommend trying single wiring. Let us know what you think.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

I have considered single wiring after the advice, but M140 has a design fault meaning that after removing the middle section of the terminal link strips for bi-wiring, there is no going back to single wiring. However, Linn is sending me replacement strips so when they arrive, I'll give it a try.

Not understanding the technical side, why does single wiring offer an improvement?

What is the 2db cut?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

single wiring will often sound the most musically coherent. During our research, nearly all single wire speaker cable out-performs the bi-wire equivalent.
(from chord company).
There's literally loads of similar comments across the Web. It's usually an easier load for the amplifier to drive, with less resistance. It's also why you shouldn't swap any thin jumper links on the terminal plates of some bi wired speakers with thicker speaker cables. It'll sound worse for the most part.
The 2db cut is supposed to tame the problematic bass that can affect the majik 140's. Most owners seem to prefer the sound with the modification.
There's plenty of information on the linn forum.
Regards
Daniel
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Like Ozzzy says, it cuts the bass a bit. You cut a loop of wire on the crossover board that resides in the speaker. It's aimed at being a dealer modification but many folks have done it themselves. You may invalidate the warranty though, if the speakers are within 5-years old.

I found it more musical with the cut, although slightly less natural sounding. It drops the bass by a noticeable amount but certainly wasn't a big difference to my ears.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Maybe I mess up things here but I had problems with boomy base from my M140 when I had Linn power amp. To decrease the base I needed to have speakers longer from the back wall than normal c. 30cm. I was about to try the 2dB cut but decided to wait until I upgraded to Tundra. After the upgrade everything tighten up and I didn't feel any need to do the cut. I also needed reposition the speakers closer to the back wall and have no back wall issues like before. They now sit 24,5 cm and 23 cm from the back wall. And after the latest Tarandus upgrade to 2.2 I have super nice deep well balanced sound which I regard as very musical. However I have not tried or done any comparison with the 2 dB cut so I don't know how it compares but I think maybe it is more of personal taste and maybe also to match the choosen power amp or room? I certainly would not to have less base anyways! Another thing that in my mind improves the musicality and opens up M140 is to take off the grills and keep only the rubber rings.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi Freddy. That's a very valid point and in line with my findings in relation to the quality of the bass with linn vs Lejonklou amps. Even a klimax twin struggles with bass articulation and definition compared to the tundra, even if it's an older tundra.
Its an area that's very easy to differentiate imo.
So it's well worth waiting on making any major changes if you know you're going to be upgrading or exchanging amps.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Freddy wrote:I was about to try the 2dB cut but decided to wait until I upgraded to Tundra. After the upgrade everything tighten up and I didn't feel any need to do the cut.
I retested this recently with Tundra 2.2. I had a 4200/D before. I still found the cut more musical. It seemed broadly similar drop in performance when going from K400 (cut in half) to K200. Not sure whether I would have taken the risk if I'd had the Tundra back then - probably not.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Shame I have not listened to any Lejonklou gear yet... My nearest dealer (Nokturne Audio) is almost 2,000 miles from home. I'm considering becoming a dealer myself!!!
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

vicdiaz wrote:Shame I have not listened to any Lejonklou gear yet... My nearest dealer (Nokturne Audio) is almost 2,000 miles from home. I'm considering becoming a dealer myself!!!
That sir, is a great idea.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

vicdiaz wrote:Shame I have not listened to any Lejonklou gear yet... My nearest dealer (Nokturne Audio) is almost 2,000 miles from home. I'm considering becoming a dealer myself!!!
I'd be glad to work with you on that. If you ever manage to get up to the Detroit area you can hear the whole lot. In my experience, every single Lejonklou product is musically superior to anything else anywhere near it and even at multiples of its price. Although I am not a big fan of reviews in general, I still find it heartening that every person who has reviewed a Lejonklou product has absolutely loved it, no matter what their normal references.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

ThomasOK wrote: I'd be glad to work with you on that. If you ever manage to get up to the Detroit area you can hear the whole lot.
Thanks Thomas! No plans in the near future to fly to Michigan but who knows!!!
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni