What to do with Old Klimax gear

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

What to do with Old Klimax gear

Post by bonzo »

Having recently upgraded to current spec tundra monos, my KCT is not being used. This is one of the older models for sure as it was originally a KT upgraded to Chakra. I’ve had it for about 15 yrs. by no means am I wealthy.. I sacrifice other things to enjoy this great hobby (10 yr old Camry with cloth interior and 2 missing hubcaps is one example). As much as I’d like the cash if I sold my KcT.. I’m thinking that for what I would get for it, I’d be very hard pressed to find any amp close to that performance. Then comes when I go the route of sagutun monos.. same think with KK. Now this is fully upgraded and will fetch more on the open market but part of me would hate to see these 2 pieces go, and as mentioned I feel they would be difficult to improve upon for the cost. As I’m typing this I just thought about Frederik’s highly acclaimed integrated amp.. no idea of the cost. But the Klimax gear has a sentimental value as well. Can u believe I got my KCT when I did for $4K and haven’t had to spend a nickel on it since. I also got my KK for $4400 but upgraddd dynamic then mono board, but also bought that about 15 yrs ago. I’ve clearly got my monies worth and then some. If I were to get sagutun monks, the 2 pieces of klimax would be unused for a while anyhow.. so I could use some sound advice please.
As always,
Thanks for reading.
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Stephan

Re: What to do with Old Klimax gear

Post by Stephan »

They will have to go! ;-)
Spreading your hifi budget on two systems will not get you anywhere.
You will still get serious money for these items as long as they function (they will not work forever).
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Great point. Thank you. Any advantage to selling kk and kct together or should I just sell kct now, then when the time comes sell KK?
Linn Pekin
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Trade them in together against the Sagatuns ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Not just being all source first for the sake of it but, if it were my system, I'd upgrade the tonearm first. I found the Ekos 2 to SE was a decent size musical upgrade and I recall it fondly. It put more emotion into the music, whatever the mood of the track. I have heard a KK1 vs Sagatun Mono demo too, albeit the first release.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I found the original Sagatun Monos more musical than a late(?) KK. Since then Fredrik has improved the Sagatun. Meanwhile Linn have retired the KK. I would expect latest Sagatuns to be a compelling upgrade over a KK. I believe Charlie when he says that upgrading to Ekos SE would be convincing too... I'd still start with looking at trading Klimax gear against new Sagatun Monos, if poss, unless trading Ekos 2 & KCT is easier to arrange & got Bonzo a long way to an SE. Whichever gets the best deal for the old Klimax gear.
Sentimental attachment aside, if the Klimax gear isn't going to be used, it is only going to lose value - use it to get new pre-amp(s) or new arm sooner rather than later and enjoy it through recuperation. Just avoid any heavy metal headbanging for a while after surgery ;) Best wishes for your health and musical happiness :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:Best wishes for your health and musical happiness :)
Same from me too.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thank you all for your insight as well as kind words/wishes regarding my health. While I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting anyone from this forum (I would love to enjoy listening sessions like so many of you have together) I consider the members on here to be friends and value having had the opportunity to know you. If anyone ever comes stateside they are more than welcome to stop by for some music and spirits.. I’m in south Jersey outside Philadelphia.
Thank you everyone,
Jon
Linn Pekin