Katalyst

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

Katalyst

Post by ChrBea »

As the Katalyst Klimax DS can now be found at your local Linn dealer, I wondered if anyone had the time yet to listen to the new DS and compare it with the previous generations. How does it compare musically?
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Nicolav

Re: Katalyst

Post by Nicolav »

Paolo and I have made a comparison between KDS\2 and KDS katalyst.

I have to say the difference between the two machines is HUGE, especially in terms of musicality and simple pleasure of listening the music.

We have created a small playlist alternating between the two versions of the KDS. We heard before the KDS/2 and after the KDS/3 and the KDS/2 again.

The first impression is on the sound of new KDS, very different, more open and clear. There are much more detail, we ear and feel a lot of things never heard before... But it is not an analytical and aseptic presentation, it is a continuous and enveloping stream that literally pulls you into the music. It 's almost impossible not to listen to a song until the end ...

Such is the degree of involvement and enjoyment. The relationship between the different musical layers are much clearer and you can feel this effortless.
Going back to kds2 is a kind of shock, a shift from pleasure to confusion. But this is not the fault of KDS\2 but by the goodness of the new katalyst!

Regards
Nicola
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

I agree with all that Nicolav posted. I had a dem of the Katalyst KDSM against the current KDSM on saturday. Better all round. My KDS update has now been ordered.

Mick
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

A very enthusiastic review in HIFI+ this month
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Thanks, just had a look at that article:
http://bit.ly/2cWNi4p
Funny writing style ;)
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Has someone compared KDS/3 to Klimax LP12?

Matt
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

matthias wrote:Has someone compared KDS/3 to Klimax LP12?

Matt
This would be interesting but difficult unless one knows how the recordings are made in a great deal of detail.

If one uses the same album by an artist and the master tape is analogue - then a vinyl pressing should have an advantage. If the kds/ 3 is more musical then it should win. But how do we know the vinyl pressing/ process is not at fault?

If the master tape is 24 bit digital and the vinyl is still more musical - then perhaps the lp12 is the winner.

But maybe the process of transfering of data from the digital master tape to cd/ 24 bit download, materially affects the musicality, as in different Ethernet cables, NAS drives , ripping software etc etc; and it is this which is letting the digital side down?

Me - I just enjoy the music in either format and have given up comparing, as I don't know whether it is the quality of the recording, format or the playback system that is responsible for anything other than a supremely enjoyable listening experience.

The decision for me will be whether i go for KDS/3 or upgrade my Majik lp12 to Radikal and kore/keel for a similar investment.

Or perhaps add a Lejonklou Boazu to the sneaky / komponent 110s in the bedroom!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
KennyM

Post by KennyM »

I received my upgraded DS yesterday and fully agree with everything that has already been said here. The difference between the KDS/2 and the KDS/3 (the Katalyst Klimax DS) is truly enormous!
Linn KDS/3, Klimax Twin & 4200 amps, Marantz AV8802 Pre-Amp, Monitor Audio PL II Speakers
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Very interesting round table discussion about the close collaboration between Linn and AKM:

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/featu ... id=link972

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677