Widening your taste in music

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Widening your taste in music

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm keen to learn which upgrades, tweaks or changes do members feel brought about a widening in their taste in music? If the answer is many or all then which ones do you think were most effective?

Thanks.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Widening your taste in music

Post by donuk »

Well, I suppose one way to do it Charlie, is to be a streamer owner and play around with Qobuz or Tidal.
There is something fun about delving into such a large library.
Cheers
Donuk
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

donuk wrote:Well, I suppose one way to do it Charlie, is to be a streamer owner and play around with Qobuz or Tidal.
There is something fun about delving into such a large library.
Yes, that's true. I've got a Sneaky and K104s in the study for when I'm working but tend to just want to play artists that I'm already familiar with. I don't know why.

I can't actually answer the question I've asked with reference to my own upgrades but didn't want to assume other people hadn't noticed a link from time to time. The obvious answer is that source upgrades have the most impact but again I didn't want to assume this is what other people have experienced.

I've been through a couple of periods where I've expanded my listening but that was before having children when there seemed to be more time to spend in record shops, browsing online and reading about music. But I can't recall any specific link to a HiFi purchase.

I just thought that widening our taste in music is one of the big benefits of a good HiFi. I'm pretty sure it's a primary motivation for people like Fredrik and Ivor for getting into the business of making equipment in the first place. So why am I not sure if/which upgrades have made a difference in this respect? That's not to say I don't get a lot out of my upgrades, I certainly do. All my favourite music is reinvigorated by a good upgrade and I love that, but not sure they make me want to listen to new things.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I'd say that social circle and radio have been the biggest influences for me, where I don't have control over the playlist. Even if you have an extensive library of music there is a tendency towards favourite s, let alone preferences that limit the extent of the library in the first place... Other than suggestions or influences from family & friends including forum friends of course, you have to be diligent about listening to something new. Turnng the dial to new radio stations can open your ears to new genres, artists, and music. (sorry if this is a bit 'old world' ;)
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi Charlie,
I suppose at times in my life when I have been upgrading my system, or going through a restless time doing tweaks or modifications, I have tended not to widen my musical tastes. This is because I want to enjoy the delight of listening to the records I already know in an exciting new way. E.g. "I have never had that vocal speak so directly to me before."

When I am more settled with my system I am happier to be more adventurous and listen to new music. I have not made any changes since the uplift of the Tundra 2 six months ago - therefore I have listened to new recordings.

The other point is that it takes a good system to make certain recordings enjoyable. For example, in my opinion, Beatles records can sound good on a transistor radio. Perhaps that is what they were produced for. On the other hand something like Perlman playing Paganini only sounds good if you can close your eyes and imagine him there. It takes a good system to make Steely Dan really swing; likewise people like Charlie Musselwhite or Eric Bibb.

Sadly I do not yet have a system which is better for organ music then York Minster itself...

Donuk, rainy downtown York.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

That's easy,going from Rega 3 to LP12!
I only had a couple of hundred albums at that point then things kind of exploded and in the interim there was no need to upgrade.
I tended to upgrade when I didn't feel like listening to any of my records after which it felt like I had a new record collection. If i couldnt afford an upgrade i bought more albums .An upgrade to me was for playing from my current collection in order to hear the difference the upgrade made which meant going through my collection 'til 2am.Buying a new album is a new reference point for next upgrade.Once the novelty of upgrade passed I would start to buy new albums again.
Though going from Lvx to Ekos seemed to make poor recordings more palatable in which the music flowed through so had no qualms about increasing my Charlie Parker collection especially the Dial sessions .
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote:I'd say that social circle and radio have been the biggest influences for me, where I don't have control over the playlist. Even if you have an extensive library of music there is a tendency towards favourite s, let alone preferences that limit the extent of the library in the first place... Other than suggestions or influences from family & friends including forum friends of course, you have to be diligent about listening to something new. Turnng the dial to new radio stations can open your ears to new genres, artists, and music. (sorry if this is a bit 'old world' ;)
I'm the same tokenbrit, tending to veer towards favourites or at least favourite genres. In my late teens I worked with a guy much older who was really into his music. He helped introduce me to so many great artists from the 60s and 70s in particular.

The times when I've moved to a new genre without any external influence (i.e. taking an interest in classical and jazz) was when I got so bored with pop/rock/folk and needed something completely different.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2016-01-10 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

donuk wrote:When I am more settled with my system I am happier to be more adventurous and listen to new music. I have not made any changes since the uplift of the Tundra 2 six months ago - therefore I have listened to new recordings.
So you've had an experience when NOT upgrading has widening your taste in music! In a way I guess I'm similar, although never thought about it like this before. As others have also said, an upgrade is initially an opportunity to reinvigorate your existing collection so why try new music. But hopefully once the upgrade thrill has worn off then you're better able to widen your taste in music, do you think?
donuk wrote:The other point is that it takes a good system to make certain recordings enjoyable. For example, in my opinion, Beatles records can sound good on a transistor radio. Perhaps that is what they were produced for. On the other hand something like Perlman playing Paganini only sounds good if you can close your eyes and imagine him there. It takes a good system to make Steely Dan really swing; likewise people like Charlie Musselwhite or Eric Bibb.
I too have found some recordings require a minimum quality before you can enjoy them. I recall thinking Astral Weeks was a load of old rubbish when I listened to a cassette copy made from CD on a cheap midi system. Couple of years later I saw the LP cheap and bought it and now it's a firm favourite album.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2016-01-10 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:That's easy,going from Rega 3 to LP12!
I only had a couple of hundred albums at that point then things kind of exploded and in the interim there was no need to upgrade.
I tended to upgrade when I didn't feel like listening to any of my records after which it felt like I had a new record collection. If i couldnt afford an upgrade i bought more albums .An upgrade to me was for playing from my current collection in order to hear the difference the upgrade made which meant going through my collection 'til 2am.Buying a new album is a new reference point for next upgrade.Once the novelty of upgrade passed I would start to buy new albums again.
Though going from Lvx to Ekos seemed to make poor recordings more palatable in which the music flowed through so had no qualms about increasing my Charlie Parker collection especially the Dial sessions .
I'd forgotten about my original LP12 purchase. Although unlike yourself I didn't have any LPs so it opened a whole new world of accessing new music. My Mum is an antique collector so I spent many Sunday mornings at car boot sales in my late teens, provided I didn't have a bad hangover. But I don't know how much of this was down to accessing a new medium or the LP12 itself.
Lego wrote:I tended to upgrade when I didn't feel like listening to any of my records after which it felt like I had a new record collection. If i couldnt afford an upgrade i bought more albums .An upgrade to me was for playing from my current collection in order to hear the difference the upgrade made which meant going through my collection 'til 2am.Buying a new album is a new reference point for next upgrade.Once the novelty of upgrade passed I would start to buy new albums again.
I exactly mirrors my relationship with music and HiFi to this day, and pretty much the same as tokenbrit is saying I think.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Charlie1 wrote:I'm keen to learn which upgrades, tweaks or changes do members feel brought about a widening in their taste in music? If the answer is many or all then which ones do you think were most effective?

Thanks.
This is an interesting question. Apart from my early changes, where I got my first hifi, first non supermarket hifi, my first real turntable (Thorens TD166). Obviously my first LP12 where a real step up in appreciating more of my records collection, so was the first Naim integrated amp which was a real step up in enjoyment.

Other important steps:
Lingo (for the LP12)
Kairn/LK280 (replacement for a Naim 32.5/Hi-Cap/250)
Isobarik
Cirkus (for the LP12)

Major breakthroughs - the last 15 years:
For many Jazz records - Keel/Ekos SE/Akiva (all done at once, for the LP12)
For enjoying digitally recorded musik (all genres) - Klimax DS
For enjoying classical music - Active 212 (with a good sub)

The major breakthroughs opened up records/CDs going from previously (for me) under-appreciated to seriously good. Many Miles Davis recordings, Dream Theatre, Neil Young, ... to name just a few.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

hcl wrote:This is an interesting question. Apart from my early changes, where I got my first hifi, first non supermarket hifi, my first real turntable (Thorens TD166). Obviously my first LP12 where a real step up in appreciating more of my records collection, so was the first Naim integrated amp which was a real step up in enjoyment.

Other important steps:
Lingo (for the LP12)
Kairn/LK280 (replacement for a Naim 32.5/Hi-Cap/250)
Isobarik
Cirkus (for the LP12)

Major breakthroughs - the last 15 years:
For many Jazz records - Keel/Ekos SE/Akiva (all done at once, for the LP12)
For enjoying digitally recorded musik (all genres) - Klimax DS
For enjoying classical music - Active 212 (with a good sub)

The major breakthroughs opened up records/CDs going from previously (for me) under-appreciated to seriously good. Many Miles Davis recordings, Dream Theatre, Neil Young, ... to name just a few.
Thanks HCL. Interesting breakdown with a fairly even spread across all HiFi components.

I don't have anything by Dream Theatre. Maybe I should give them a go.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I agree - any good upgrade makes one re listen to ones existing music collection.

Buying new music/ different genres comes later and in my experience; the better the system gets the more adventurous I get in trying new types of music.

In terms of upgrades: like HCL, good spread along most components.

Preamps were an eye opener - KRDS/0 ( from sneaky ) did very little until Kolektor was replaced with AK/1- the change was quite dramatic. Sagatun monos made me realise just how important preamps are.

With a decent preamp in place, source changes were very rewarding - esp KRDS/0 to KDS/1 ( ak/1 in place ) and RP3 - LP12.( Sagatuns in place).

Changing Ninkas to 242s was great - although Ninkas were good enough to really enjoy the music and to buy and appreciate different genres of music.

Most surprising upgrade was going from Tundra Monos to Tundra Mono 2s - broke all the rules of the heirarchy, and a very, very pleasant surprise.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote:I agree - any good upgrade makes one re listen to ones existing music collection.

Buying new music/ different genres comes later and in my experience; the better the system gets the more adventurous I get in trying new types of music.

In terms of upgrades: like HCL, good spread along most components.

Preamps were an eye opener - KRDS/0 ( from sneaky ) did very little until Kolektor was replaced with AK/1- the change was quite dramatic. Sagatun monos made me realise just how important preamps are.

With a decent preamp in place, source changes were very rewarding - esp KRDS/0 to KDS/1 ( ak/1 in place ) and RP3 - LP12.( Sagatuns in place).

Changing Ninkas to 242s was great - although Ninkas were good enough to really enjoy the music and to buy and appreciate different genres of music.

Most surprising upgrade was going from Tundra Monos to Tundra Mono 2s - broke all the rules of the heirarchy, and a very, very pleasant surprise.
Thanks u252agz! Interesting that the Tundra Mono upgrade stood out. I want to hear the current Tundra Stereo. My 4200 is about 12 years old and sounding a bit sluggish.