My new DS

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

My new DS

Post by donuk »

I have just bitten the streamer bullet and have bought myself a Majik DS. I must say I am most impressed with the sound through my Linn system, and look forward to rediscovering our CD collection.

A couple of queries. On the box it says "Majik DS/1". Not "DS-1" which of course is a different animal with built in power amps.
So what is the difference between a DS and a DS/1?? I can find reference to only Akurate and Klimax DS/1.

Also I note that the mains cable that comes with the Majik DS/1has a 5 amp fuse (visible) in it. Is this general Linn policy these days?

Having said I am delighted, I share most people's misgivings about Kinsky. Is there a better software for Windows out there??

Cheers from Sunny Downtown York

don
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

...... and will there be a "DS-1/1"???

No likelihood of confusion there then..........
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Part of your confusion comes from the difference between DS/1 and DS-I (I as in Integrated, not a 1). The DS-I had the integrated amp and was upgraded to the DSM with the HDMI connections (although if you really want to get confused there was, for a short time, a Majik DSM that didn't have the HDMI connectors).

Anyway the current unit with the integrated amp is a Majik DSM and I believe it would actually say Majik DSM/1 on the box and possibly the unit itself. (If there still was a Majik DS-I it would indeed now be a Majik DS-I/1.) Linn uses the /1 to indicate a change in specifications whether or not they change performance. This basically is what used to be called a Mk2. Examples are the Ekos SE/1 which has a bit longer headshell and a bit shorter arm tube with a slightly changed paint job. The KK became a /1 with a new audio board and a /2 when a power switch was added (for some reason Linn decided not to change the number when they added the Dynamik PS to the various units).

In your specific case the /1 indicates three small changes that should have little or no effect on the sound. First, the power switch was moved from the back panel to the bottom underneath the front. This was required to meet current EU power consumption regulations. Second, the feet were made about twice as high so that you can actually get your finger under there to activate the switch. And third, the display panel on the black units was changed to black as well (although not quite the same black). So that is why your unit is a /1. Since these changes were made to all Majik electronic pieces they should all be /1 units now.

Anyway, now that you know what it all means I hope you enjoy the unit. You might want to check the LS-NAS thread if you want to really get the best out of it (although beware there is some definite work involved).
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2013-09-04 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

For windows you should give jRiver Media Center a try.

The PC will need to remain on while playing music. To some this not okay, but it is well worth while IMHO.

The learning curve can be intimidating to some. It will be worth spending some time with it.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi Don, I hate kinsky, compared to bubble ds on android it's cumbersome unintuitive and poorly laid out and isn't as complete. It's worth buying a Google nexus 7 for 150 quid or so just to get it, it's so easy to use and is a credit to the development team, one person I believe!
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Thanks guys for your helpful replies. It is such a pleasure posting on this forum.

Don, windy downtown York
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I thought, to be fair to Linn, I would just update my opinions expressed in my first post.
Now I have had the DS in my system for three weeks, I have got more used to it.
Firstly - I am very happy with the sound. Other people are better qualified to talk about the nuances and tweaks.
Secondly - it is the first modification to my hifi system, since the advent of cassette tapes that actually changes the way I listen to music. I am rediscovering my large CD collection. Many of which I swear I have never seen before.

And as for Kinsky. I have not found it to fail in any big way at all. It gets confused if you open more than one copy at once, but that is reasonable. But it is better than I first suggested.

For the sake of argument - I am computer literate. But Kinsky is not intuitive (unlike dbPoweramp which is a dream). Kinsky could be improved. It would be nice to be able to modify metadata directly, or have a decent search facility. But it does what it says on the, albeit small, tin. The use of bookmarks makes life a lot easier.

So, for the time being at least, a happy customer.

don, sunny downtown York
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

If you have Windows and some time checkout jRiver Media Center.

It handles all ones desires in regard to the library.

Its like comparing a spreadsheet (K) to a relational database (jR).

I find that Kinsky played music sounds better than jRiver since I started using Linn Silvers pre to ATCs. Not night and day. Before with Mogami cables the jRiver was preferred.

But nothing comes close to working the library like jR.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi Saltydog
Thanks for your very helpful suggestion. I have read some of the details (and emotions) that surround jRiver Media Center on the Linn Forum, and note your helpful input there.

Can you just clarify for me - through the haze of my limited understanding - am I right in assuming the following:

jRiver Media Center requires a Windows computer to be on all the time - my Linux (?) Qnap would not suffice.

jRiver Media Center would effectively replace Twonky and Kinsky on my current set up - would I be able to keep them in place and have the choice of either (I have just succeeded in teaching my wife to use Kinsky)??

With jRiver Media Center can I create playlists which can be used without switching on any computer, and called up just using the handset as Kinsky allows you to do.

Thanks
don, sunny downtown York
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

jRiver would need to be on on a windows machine if you use it for a control point. Sometimes I do this. Sometimes I don't, I use Kinsky or BubbleDS, or iOS control points. For playing complete albums I usually use Kinsky these days.

You can leave or even add other servers and control points. I do this. Minim Server is a great server that resides on your NAS. The thing is Twonky and MinimServer do not help you with tagging, tag editing, playlist and such like jRiver.

You can make m3u playlists with jRiver and then export them to your music folder on your NAS. I have been using jRiver Jukebox (a free audio only light version of Media Center) since way back for making playlists. The smart playlist feature makes easy work of playlists. The only issue I am aware of with using jRiver to make playlists for use with the NAS servers is that the DS has a 1000 song limit. If using jRiver, with a PC left on, one can have a playlist of the entire library if desired.

If you have a big screen in your listening room then jRemote for iPad will allow a nice user experience. It works well on just the iPad too. I have been to someone's place that uses this setup and was impressed. I haven't used it myself.

I am not aware of any server or control point that will keep you from using any other server or control point, so one can use as many as they want.

For tag editing and searches jRiver is the best by far from what I have used.

The DS has changed my listening. I have bought more music since DS than in the 25+ years before DS.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

jRiver would need to be on on a windows machine if you use it for a control point. Sometimes I do this. Sometimes I don't, I use Kinsky or BubbleDS, or iOS control points. For playing complete albums I usually use Kinsky these days.

You can leave or even add other servers and control points. I do this. Minim Server is a great server that resides on your NAS. The thing is Twonky and MinimServer do not help you with tagging, tag editing, playlist and such like jRiver.

You can make m3u playlists with jRiver and then export them to your music folder on your NAS. I have been using jRiver Jukebox (a free audio only light version of Media Center) since way back for making playlists. The smart playlist feature makes easy work of playlists. The only issue I am aware of with using jRiver to make playlists for use with the NAS servers is that the DS has a 1000 song limit. If using jRiver, with a PC left on, one can have a playlist of the entire library if desired.

If you have a big screen in your listening room then jRemote for iPad will allow a nice user experience. It works well on just the iPad too. I have been to someone's place that uses this setup and was impressed. I haven't used it myself.

I am not aware of any server or control point that will keep you from using any other server or control point, so one can use as many as they want.

For tag editing and searches jRiver is the best by far from what I have used.

The DS has changed my listening. I have bought more music since DS than in the 25+ years before DS.