Majik DS-I enhancement

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ogni

Majik DS-I enhancement

Post by ogni »

A very good and easy to do option to improve performance, to my ears a very fine enhancement, could be made on a Majik DS-I.
If one removes the casing there is on the Dynamik PSU the mains wire coming from the On/Off switch and ending on the board while crossing a copper coil, this mains wire appears to be very sensitive and seems a little too close to the coil below. My idea was to put something underneath as a distance holder, I used a small soft plastic tube of about 40mm length and a diameter of 15mm and cut it over its whole length into two pieces, then I put one part under the brown mains wire (having the black cable coating) and placed it directly in the middle above the copper coil...
After this the DS-I sounded more open, high frequencies mids and bass are overall better and music just flows, couldn't stop listening music.
If anyone would like to try, there is nothing to fear as one couldn't do anything wrong, just disconnect it from power before opening and use only non-conducting material like plastic. And of course tell if you experienced something similar.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Hi ogni
I am not doubting that you might have made a valid improvement.
There is always the possibility with minor modifications that something else you may do may bring about the perceived improvement.

Unplugging and plugging in all the connectors can often improve things. Also repositioning the case, and re-tightening the case screws could change performance. Or anything else you may have done.

I am as guilty as anybody, I am sure.
Sometimes after having made a minor modification, I revert to the original configuration - and find the sound different to how it was at the outset. Usually better, but if it is worse, I have a problem.

Don, sunny downtown York
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

It is possible to apply the corresponding approach on the mains cables from the wall outlet to the units. Small but clear differences can be found by arranging the cables in different ways.

Use tune-dem to find what arramgement makes the best spund!