Performance of stock Majik Lp12?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

HenrikLI

Performance of stock Majik Lp12?

Post by HenrikLI »

Hi,

I have a 2011 Rega p5 (with exact 2 pu and tt-psu), Kinki 3, Kikkin 2.2, Linn 2250, Monitor Audio rx6. With Linn cables. After putting some effort into the installation it sings rather nice. Linn and tune method has been an interest for about 20 years, so that is my guideline for trying to get things right.

Even though the Rega is quite ok, minus some of the lp12’s sense of flow and musicality, I really miss the lp12 that was sold several years back. I now want to buy a brand new lp12, but can just barely afford a Majik lp12, so if there will ever be one it will not be an upgrade project. My stomach tells me not to get a second hand one, though a better speced one would offer better performance. This time around it has to be a new one, if at all…

Now to a general forum question:

There is not much discussion on the stock Majik lp12 on the web, other than in the “it’s a great start for upgrading”-sense (there is a thread here from when the Majik lp12 was introduced a couple of years ago, but things might have settled a bit since? Or changed?). So, do you guys have any input on the Majik lp12’s level of performance in and on itself? Maybe even in comparison to Rega. Without Lingo, Radikal, Keel etc. One almost gets the feeling that a simple Majik motor-controlled lp12 is not that good with all the great new upgrades available. It is still some money to put up for a Majik lp12-kit, no matter how great a Linn-deal it is or in relation to other brands.

Cheers
/Henrik
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I can't fully answer your question, but there is one point that does strike me. A similarly priced second hand option would not include Keel or Radikal PSU. The Majik LP12 includes the Cirkus kit and I would also expect a similarly priced second hand deck to include it.

Therefore, it's mostly going to come down to the performance gap between Majik PSU and a Lingo. OK, so you'll also stand a good chance of getting a better arm with the second hand deck, but that will make less difference compared to PSU.

Perhaps your dealer could demonstrate Majik LP12 with and without a Lingo upgrade? This should give you a good idea of the performance improvement you can expect in purchasing second hand. Obviously, I would only advice this if you're prepared to buy a second hand deck from the same dealer. Not very fair otherwise, IMO.
HenrikLI

Post by HenrikLI »

Thanks for your comment!

I'm sure you're right about the difference is mainly coming down to the majik/lingo variation between a new Majik and s/h lp12 in the same price range.

I'll have to try to get an audition of rega rp6 (as a starting reference), majik and lingo lp12.

comments from other members of the forum also suggests that the majik/pro-ject equipped lp12 performs really good...

/H
Linnism

Post by Linnism »

All being well ("choose the shop, then the product"), the stock Majik LP12 will give you a pleasing upgrade (and will start you on the slippery slide into financial ruin...)

Blind A/B 'tunedem.'
Take your RP6, plus a friend to adjudicate. Please report back here afterward :-))
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The Majik LP12 is a fine turntable and one many will be happy with without further upgrades. A properly tuned Majik LP12 is quite musical and the ProJect arm (which comes with Linn cables) is well chosen and mates well with the LP12. There is no question that the Majik LP12 will outperform older LP12s with arms like the Grace 707 or various versions of the Linn Basik.

Since the Majik LP12 handily shows the door to the Rega P9 musically it will make short work of the RP6 and P5. We sell Regas here alongside LP12s and have demos of everything from the RP1 through to the new RP8. There is little question the LP12 still reigns supreme. I think you'll find the comparisons quite informative.
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

To me it's totally illogical to buy a new Majik LP12. They sell for £2350 new here in the UK without a lid. £2500 if you want a lid.

If you have your heart set on an LP12 you can buy a significantly more tuneful sounding one for less money if you go 2nd hand.

I personally wouldn't buy an LP12 at all as there are other record players that I find more tuneful.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

lindsayt wrote:I personally wouldn't buy an LP12 at all as there are other record players that I find more tuneful.
Could you give any hints on what to look for instead?
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

A top of the range 1970's to 1980's direct drive in full working condition, with a good arm and a decent MC cartridge. Properly isolated from the speakers.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

lindsayt wrote:A top of the range 1970's to 1980's direct drive in full working condition, with a good arm and a decent MC cartridge. Properly isolated from the speakers.
I am not into 70:th turntables so that does not say much. Could You please specify one that You find representative of the "top of the range"?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

lindsayt wrote:I personally wouldn't buy an LP12 at all as there are other record players that I find more tuneful.
lindsayt wrote:A top of the range 1970's to 1980's direct drive in full working condition, with a good arm and a decent MC cartridge. Properly isolated from the speakers.
hcl wrote:Could You please specify one that You find representative of the "top of the range"?
I don't think this is going anywhere good... DD was bad for music, even when these TT's where new.

To OP I would like to say that you will likely get better performance with a used LP12 in good shape. But sometimes you don't feel like buying used. An LP12 is a precious icon in any music system. Sometimes it just feels fantastic and special to have bought it new. If buying new feels right for you, go for it.

I think that you will get a tremendous upgrade going from a Rega P5 to a Majik LP12. The Majik LP12 is really good in standard form compared to anything else, except a higher spec LP12. Better than many used LP12's that are out of shape. (Bad Valhalla, bad motor, bad bearings in the arm etc.) Even if an LP12 always can get fixed by replacing what's wrong with it, it may not be what you are in for. Buy it, the LP12 is as you know, majik!
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

DD was bad for music? Is this statement based on your first hand experience or on something that you've been told or something that you've read?

So have you compared a fully working Pioneer Exclusive P3a with a good MC cartridge against an LP12?

Or a fully working EMT 950 with an EMT TSD 15 against an LP12?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

If I wanted a new deck, I would still go for 2:nd hand Lingo and Akito2 instead of the "Majik" package. The Lingo should be quite easy to find, Akito2 is difficult to come across, but they are fantastic value for the money at current rates.
HenrikLI

Post by HenrikLI »

Well since it is rude to post questions without feedback, here's my.

Without any auditioning I ended up with a new Majik lp12 walnut, tramp 2 and a pretty good akito 1 (and lid which Linn now includes!). Although a couple of weeks went between my last spin on the Rega p5, the difference was immediate and way beyond my expectations. All those tune-dem sayings as "there's so much more music playing" or "the music is much more easy to understand" now has a new very concrete meaning to me. It's like one hear more of everything. Before I tended to keep turning up the volume all the time to really get the essence of songs, that's not necessary now. Records that have never really "worked" just plays...

I'm on ca 10+h playing, anyone know what to expect in terms of burn in for the adikt?

So if anyone else out there is contemplating the price/performance jump from Rega (or similar) to a new lp12, yes it is worth it.

thanks for your comments,

thanks also to Fredrik for the great kinki/kikkin products
(now I'm thinking of a slipsik of course)

/Henrik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations on your LP12 purchase - it certainly sounds like a well appointed deck. I'm glad you are now hearing what all the fuss is about and realizing how much more music is on your records. I have always felt the Adikt sounded quite musical right out of the box but as you get the first 100 to 200 hours on it you should find the high-end smoother with no loss of detail and a bit more extension and detail in the bass. A bit more tuneful and balanced overall, although there can be a bit of up and down in the burn in process.

The Slipsik is truly fine but I warn you not to listen to it without the money to buy it. Once heard it is not easily forgotten. One of my customers has a Majik LP12 with a Radikal and he started with the stock Majik. He borrowed both the Kinki 3 and Slipsik 5 (later upgraded to 5.1) and was not willing to give the Slipsik back!