Spotify Stream On Event

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Spotify Stream On Event

Post by Spannko »

Spotify is hosting its Stream On event on the 8 March 2023. Will its long awaited “HiFi” tier be introduced? It’s hard to say, but Spotify have released a video of Billie Eilish and FINNEAS talking about “high quality audio”, so my money’s on yes. However, I can’t help but wonder what the consequence of this change will be. Hopefully, our Källa’s will still sing like nightingales!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Spotify Stream On Event

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2023-03-03 21:56 Spotify have released a video of Billie Eilish and FINNEAS talking about “high quality audio”
Do you mean the old campaign from 2021 or is there a newer one?
Last edited by matthias on 2023-03-04 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ah, I don’t know. I’ll check.

UPDATE: Yes, the Billie Eilish video was posted a couple of years ago, so what happens next week is anyone’s guess!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

In the announcement no word about "HiFi" or "lossless" etc:

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2023-01-12 ... ch-8-2023/
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'm not sure we should wish for the arrival of Spotify lossless.

The enjoyability of Spotify as it is may well be a happy unlooked-for consequence that is of no concern for Spotify themselves, and the changes necessary for lossless could disrupt the signal chain.

It's no guarantee that Spotify lossless will be more enjoyable than currently, or even as enjoyable.

Unless changes are guided by tunefulness, they seem more likely to degrade than otherwise.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Yes, there seems to be a wonderful synergy between Källa and Spotify.

I don't think they will launch it.
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

springwood64 wrote: 2023-03-04 08:47 I'm not sure we should wish for the arrival of Spotify lossless.

The enjoyability of Spotify as it is may well be a happy unlooked-for consequence that is of no concern for Spotify themselves, and the changes necessary for lossless could disrupt the signal chain.

It's no guarantee that Spotify lossless will be more enjoyable than currently, or even as enjoyable.

Unless changes are guided by tunefulness, they seem more likely to degrade than otherwise.
I would agree with this. Since the musical engagement seems to vary considerably across different streaming providers, and since it apparently has nothing to do with stated resolution of the stream, I consider it a lucky happenstance that Spotify is so musical. Certainly it isn't likely it is due to them actually striving for a more tuneful feed. So any change made could easily go either way musically.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

All will be revealed in a few minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPE5Gk2gClA
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Coincidence that Spotify didn't sound good yesterday after the latest app update*? I hope so... : !

* I haven't rechecked settings yet : /
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-03-08 18:29 Coincidence that Spotify didn't sound good yesterday after the latest app update*? I hope so... : !

After this event I really hope that Spotify will not suffocate the musicality of their apps.
Matt

Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Here's some highlights from the Spotify event:
https://youtu.be/K8BUTIOLwHc
The theme is video and their plan is to have music videos and "Live events" + Having podcasts with video + Short videos like the ones on TikTok. And helping artists selling merchandise.

Nothing too exciting in my opinion.
Hopefully it won't negatively affect the already good musicality of their streaming service.
And if we're lucky it becomes even better!
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-03-08 18:29 Coincidence that Spotify didn't sound good yesterday after the latest app update*? I hope so... : !

I notice that the new software enabled volume normalisation and has added features to adjust stream audio quality automatically (selected by default). These sound like settings that would impact sound quality.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The settings you mention have been there a long time, springwood64. I couldn’t find anything new.

Please check this thread for optimal settings: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-03-09 12:21 The settings you mention have been there a long time, springwood64. I couldn’t find anything new.

Please check this thread for optimal settings: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130
All optimal.

On iPad Mini 6, Spotify app version:
8.8.14 - good
8.8.15 - a bit off
8.8.16 - better than .15; no way to compare against .14

No changes in settings apparent to me. It may be my mood or other, environmental factors, but the timing of things seeming 'less good' coincided with .15 - this is the first time I've noticed an issue arising after an app update. Curious that it should happen on the day that Spotify announce plans to update their UI... :/

Is it all in my head? Does that make it any less real? Did anyone else experience similar with recent/latest Spotify app updates? Is there a way to revert to a prior version, or to prevent specific app updates on iPad?

matthias wrote: .. I really hope that Spotify will not suffocate the musicality of their apps.
I'd think we all hope that Matt... I take it you didn't prefer Qobuz after all, then, or did your wife's preference for Spotify win? :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-03-09 17:21 I take it you didn't prefer Qobuz after all, then, or did your wife's preference for Spotify win? :)
I am fine (MacOS) with both Qobuz and Spotify, my wife prefers the UI of Spotify.
I don't like the UI of Qobuz, so I use Audirvana (3.5.50) for Qobuz.
Sometimes I switch monthly between Spotify and Qobuz.

There is no update so far of the Spotify MacOS version after the event, my impression is that Spotify do change only the UI of the iOS and iPadOS versions.
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-03-09 17:21 On iPad Mini 6, Spotify app version:
8.8.14 - good
8.8.15 - a bit off

No changes in settings apparent to me. It may be my mood or other, environmental factors, but the timing of things seeming 'less good' coincided with .15 - this is the first time I've noticed an issue arising after an app update. Curious that it should happen on the day that Spotify announce plans to update their UI... :/

Is it all in my head? Does that make it any less real? Did anyone else experience similar with recent/latest Spotify app updates? Is there a way to revert to a prior version, or to prevent specific app updates on iPad?
I can't say that I've noticed any difference between these versions. Enjoyed 8.8.15 today and thought it sounded great. Now updated to 8.8.16.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-03-13 23:07
tokenbrit wrote: 2023-03-09 17:21 On iPad Mini 6, Spotify app version:
8.8.14 - good
8.8.15 - a bit off

I can't say that I've noticed any difference between these versions. Enjoyed 8.8.15 today and thought it sounded great. Now updated to 8.8.16.
Thanks Fredrik. Must be something else then - will have to check Internet service & electrical connections...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Today there is the first new Spotify version (1.2.7.1277) for macOS after the event but nothing has changed.
Last edited by matthias on 2023-03-15 18:29, edited 2 times in total.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Spannko wrote: 2023-03-03 21:56 Spotify is hosting its Stream On event on the 8 March 2023. Will its long awaited “HiFi” tier be introduced? It’s hard to say, but Spotify have released a video of Billie Eilish and FINNEAS talking about “high quality audio”, so my money’s on yes. However, I can’t help but wonder what the consequence of this change will be. Hopefully, our Källa’s will still sing like nightingales!
https://www.golem.de/news/musikstreamin ... 72643.html

Perhaps this is interesting:
[...]
Golem.de last asked Spotify at the end of February 2023 and was only told by the provider that there was no new information about Spotify Hi-Fi.

Now Söderström at least gave a few details about it. "We announced it, but then the industry changed for a number of reasons," Söderström said. Many streaming subscriptions changed their subscription models after Spotify's announcement and have since offered music in high resolution at no extra charge. For the most part, these providers have since increased their subscription prices.
Internally, Spotify Hi-Fi is said to have been available for a year already.

Söderström did not provide any further information, saying only: "We will do it, but we will do it in a way that makes sense for us and our listeners. The industry has changed and we've had to adapt." When asked about this vague suggestion, he simply explained that it had to work for Spotify "from a cost perspective".

According to The Verge, Spotify employees have been able to access Spotify Hi-Fi for over a year. The technical work on it is largely complete, and the complete music catalogue is said to be available in lossless quality. What Spotify is still waiting for to launch the service is unclear.

Since Spotify publicly commented on Spotify Hi-Fi for the first time in over two years, this could be a sign that Spotify subscribers will soon be able to listen to music in high quality.
[...]
Trust your ears
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Tidal Hi-FI (CD-quality) is now only € 9.99/month
Qobuz Studio (Hi-Res) is € 149.99/annual (€ 12.49/month)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thank you, Hermann :-)

The original interview with Söderström:

https://www.theverge.com/23638082/spoti ... -discovery

Scroll to the end
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

classical example of a marketing mess - announcing something which is not available - the competitors adapt to it which changes the market and all of the sudden it makes no sense for the company anymore

keep quiet about solutions you dont have in a highly competitive and fast changing market

however how much likely would be an musical improvement and how much likely it would turn for the worst
I am rather happy with the sparrow in my hand than the pigeon on the roof top
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

"We will do it, but we will do it in a way that makes sense for us and our listeners. The industry has changed and we've had to adapt."

To me that reads: We'll do it when we can figure out how to make a bunch more money off it. Which was made difficult by the other companies entering the market at lower prices than we had planned to charge.

But maybe I'm just cynical.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Hermann wrote: 2023-03-15 16:30
Spannko wrote: 2023-03-03 21:56 Spotify is hosting its Stream On event on the 8 March 2023. Will its long awaited “HiFi” tier be introduced? It’s hard to say, but Spotify have released a video of Billie Eilish and FINNEAS talking about “high quality audio”, so my money’s on yes. However, I can’t help but wonder what the consequence of this change will be. Hopefully, our Källa’s will still sing like nightingales!
https://www.golem.de/news/musikstreamin ... 72643.html

Perhaps this is interesting:
[...]
Golem.de last asked Spotify at the end of February 2023 and was only told by the provider that there was no new information about Spotify Hi-Fi.

Now Söderström at least gave a few details about it. "We announced it, but then the industry changed for a number of reasons," Söderström said. Many streaming subscriptions changed their subscription models after Spotify's announcement and have since offered music in high resolution at no extra charge. For the most part, these providers have since increased their subscription prices.
Internally, Spotify Hi-Fi is said to have been available for a year already.

Söderström did not provide any further information, saying only: "We will do it, but we will do it in a way that makes sense for us and our listeners. The industry has changed and we've had to adapt." When asked about this vague suggestion, he simply explained that it had to work for Spotify "from a cost perspective".

According to The Verge, Spotify employees have been able to access Spotify Hi-Fi for over a year. The technical work on it is largely complete, and the complete music catalogue is said to be available in lossless quality. What Spotify is still waiting for to launch the service is unclear.

Since Spotify publicly commented on Spotify Hi-Fi for the first time in over two years, this could be a sign that Spotify subscribers will soon be able to listen to music in high quality.
[...]
Thanks Hermann, that’s very interesting.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »