A London Symphony, Vaughan Williams

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

A London Symphony, Vaughan Williams

Post by Spannko »

Open a bottle of your favourite tipple, relax, press play ( https://open.spotify.com/album/4eEulvi ... -Zsra2KHeQ) and enjoy!

3DA1C560-F31E-4FFE-A00C-CC69AF8120CE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A London Symphony, Vaughan Williams

Post by David Neel »

Alternatively, you could listen to it on vinyl, and contrast it with the Previn or Boult versions with the later revisions... ultimately, this one doesn't fully satisfy...

But okay, I'll try it again next...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I find it technically excellent but curiously bloodless when compared to Boult....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Done!

Thank you for the tip! I like it.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

David Neel wrote: 2022-12-27 22:50 Alternatively, you could listen to it on vinyl, and contrast it with the Previn or Boult versions with the later revisions... ultimately, this one doesn't fully satisfy...

But okay, I'll try it again next...
Thanks David. I’ll check out the Previn and Boult versions too.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-12-28 00:09 Done!

Thank you for the tip! I like it.
You’re welcome!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2022-12-27 22:50 .. contrast it with the Previn or Boult versions with the later revisions...
Spotify (US) has 3 Previn versions, and 3 Boult versions, that I found:
Previn
London Symphony Orchestra, 1972 (Sony Classical)
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, 1987 (Telarc)
London Symphony Orchestra, 2003 (RCA Red Seal)

Boult
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 1952 (Decca Music Group (2022 Universal Music Australia))
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 2002 (Decca Music Group)
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 2011 (Warner Classics)

Do you have a recommendation, or order of preference, between the 6 to compare against the version that Spannko shared, please?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-12-28 04:23
David Neel wrote: 2022-12-27 22:50 .. contrast it with the Previn or Boult versions with the later revisions...
Spotify (US) has 3 Previn versions, and 3 Boult versions, that I found:
Previn
London Symphony Orchestra, 1972 (Sony Classical)
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, 1987 (Telarc)
London Symphony Orchestra, 2003 (RCA Red Seal)

Boult
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 1952 (Decca Music Group (2022 Universal Music Australia))
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 2002 (Decca Music Group)
London Philharmonic Orchestra, 2011 (Warner Classics)

Do you have a recommendation, or order of preference, between the 6 to compare against the version that Spannko shared, please?
I have never heard this via digital, so have no idea about the quality of the transfers... I have the Hickox on LP, plus the Previn RCA recording and Boult's EMI recording (which I guess is now Warner Classics?). On LP, all three have excellent sound, but there is a vitality to the older analogue recordings which is quite wonderful. The Previn RCA was awarded a rosette in the old Penguin guides, and the Boult EMI is also outstanding. I suspect that Previn on Sony Classical and RCA may be the same (1972) recording, likewise the two Boult versions on Decca.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks for your input David. I know you’ve got an extensive orchestral collection so I really should have consulted with you before jumping the gun on this one!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-28 14:01 Thanks for your input David. I know you’ve got an extensive orchestral collection so I really should have consulted with you before jumping the gun on this one!
I'm now going to see if I can hear the streaming versions... I suspect the pecking order may be upended!

EDIT: I've heard a little of the Boult Decca and the Previn RCA. Previn for me!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2022-12-28 14:07 EDIT: I've heard a little of the Boult Decca and the Previn RCA. Previn for me!
Early - https://open.spotify.com/album/4RL9W3V0X9c1AtjI38lJ7g (artwork of London on the cover)
Or late - https://open.spotify.com/album/2LhNnGbQINkuyCtZYI5k9M (simple cover of 'Mr Preview' ;)

Album graphics suggest they're both RCA, despite what Spotify says in the credits...
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-12-28 16:33
David Neel wrote: 2022-12-28 14:07 EDIT: I've heard a little of the Boult Decca and the Previn RCA. Previn for me!
Early - https://open.spotify.com/album/4RL9W3V0X9c1AtjI38lJ7g (artwork of London on the cover)
Or late - https://open.spotify.com/album/2LhNnGbQINkuyCtZYI5k9M (simple cover of 'Mr Preview' ;)

Album graphics suggest they're both RCA, despite what Spotify says in the credits...
I suspect you'll find them identical (or at least the same source recording). FWIW I listened to Mr Preview.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Mr Preview has that awful habit of playing all the right notes, but not in the right order. Don’t you agree Mr Kneel?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-28 21:08 Mr Preview has that awful habit of playing all the right notes, but not in the right order. Don’t you agree Mr Kneel?
A Wise man would tell you that the errant pianist wasn't Mr Preview, but Mr Morecombe.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

David Neel wrote: 2022-12-29 10:59
Spannko wrote: 2022-12-28 21:08 Mr Preview has that awful habit of playing all the right notes, but not in the right order. Don’t you agree Mr Kneel?
A Wise man would tell you that the errant pianist wasn't Mr Preview, but Mr Morecombe.
Ha ha, Quite right, Mr Neel!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-29 15:29
David Neel wrote: 2022-12-29 10:59
Ha ha, Quite right, Mr Neel!
Well orchestrated: a composed & impeccably conducted exchange. Encore :D